Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cleaning bibs when you ride every day

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 11:23 PM
baribari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't have a washing machine at home so I can't machine wash my gear regularly. I also don't like hand-washing it with detergent since it takes so much time and water. That said, not cleaning shorts will end in saddle sores.

I have tried soaking them in a highly diluted bleach solution (a capfull in 3-5 gallons) and air-drying them to kill all the germs in lieu of washing. Is this a bad idea? They at least look reasonable clean, but my sores haven't gone away.

If you hand-wash, how much detergent should you use, and how long do you need to knead the shorts?
Old 05-07-18, 12:58 AM
rgr555

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baribari
I don't have a washing machine at home so I can't machine wash my gear regularly. I also don't like hand-washing it with detergent since it takes so much time and water. That said, not cleaning shorts will end in saddle sores.

I have tried soaking them in a highly diluted bleach solution (a capfull in 3-5 gallons) and air-drying them to kill all the germs in lieu of washing. Is this a bad idea? They at least look reasonable clean, but my sores haven't gone away.

If you hand-wash, how much detergent should you use, and how long do you need to knead the shorts?
i just soak all my stuff in Nikwax Base wash in my sink in hot water, double rinse, then hang dry

https://www.amazon.com/Nikwax-143-Base-Wash/dp/B0011UH5VU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525676342&sr=8-1&keywords=nikwax+basewash
Old 05-07-18, 01:02 AM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
One thing I do is take the bibs with me into the shower. Then you can get a small amount of soap (if I'm feeling lazy I sometimes just use body soap but otherwise have a small container of laundry detergent outside the shower) & scrub them up a little while you're under the water and it doesn't take longer than 2-3 minutes from start to finish.
Old 05-07-18, 01:09 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Take em in the shower with you, scrubby scrub, hangy dry.
Old 05-07-18, 01:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
I hand wash most of my riding gear often. Doesn't take much water. For shorts, a jersey, socks and gloves, I'll use a 3 gallon mop bucket -- doesn't need to be full -- and one Gain or Tide gel fling or a splash of the liquid detergent. Slosh around, let soak for about 30 minutes -- the enzymes work better that way. Slosh around again, rinse a couple of times, wring out, hang to drip dry over the tub. I use trouser hangers with clips to hold everything -- no problems with sagging from heavy wet clothing. I set a fan on the shelf nearby to speed up drying. Dries overnight. No hassle, really.

I have more casual riding gear for my hybrid so I don't need to wash those baggy shorts and tee shirts every day/ride. I'll do those at the laundromat once a week. If the road bike stuff needs washing I'll toss those in as well.

This is where Lycra, Spandex, poly, etc., come in handy. They hand wash easily and drip/air dry quickly. Wool and cotton take a lot longer. Even my socks are poly or poly blend.

Also I mostly use AeroTech Pro shorts with their minimal tan and black faux-chamois. It's thinner than most and dries quickly. It's comfortable to me on rides up to 50 miles. Beyond that I might prefer the thicker sculpted/3D padding. Takes a little longer to drip/air/fan dry but it still dries overnight.

If you have saddle sores it might be due to some other problem. In ye olden days of merino wool shorts with real leather chamois we didn't always wash the shorts after every ride on multi-day rides. There wasn't always a place to wash anything. The trick to keeping the chamois clean was personal hygiene -- most of our club were health care professionals, nurses, doctors, etc., and probably a bit more finicky about that stuff. Carry baby wipes or comparable disposable wipes and use 'em after bowel movements. Take whatever personal hygiene and comfort items you need on the road -- it'll fit in a sandwich size baggy in your jersey pocket, saddle bag, wherever.

Persistent saddle sores, broken or cracked skin, rashes, itching, etc., may be fungus -- athletes crotch. Try some miconazole nitrate ointment for a week and see if it helps.

Instead of bleach, try hydrogen peroxide on your shorts. Not a bad idea to do once in awhile anyway. Works on a lot of nasties and is easier on the fabric.

Finally, some folks -- including me -- wear ultra-thin wicking fabric underwear even with padded shorts. Yup, it defies the rules. Don't care, it's more comfortable to me. Tried it both ways. The underwear helps with wicking on hot, humid days and reduces friction. Champion and other brands make snug, supportive boxer briefs of the same fabric as cycling shorts -- poly and Spandex. Some are made with a mesh pouch for better ventilation. Try a pair for awhile, see if it helps reduce irritation so the saddle sores heal.

It's not a substitute for laundering the cycling shorts, though. The Champion boxer/brief fabric is very sheer. If you use butt butter or chamois cream it'll seep through the underwear into the padding, so everything needs to be laundered as usual. I just find the underwear reduces friction. I've never needed butt butter or chamois cream with modern faux-chamois padding.
Old 05-07-18, 05:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18585 Post(s)
Liked 16,067 Times in 7,542 Posts
Yes. Simply take them in the shower and was the pad with regular old soap. I spent nearly four months on the road touring with only 2 pairs of shorts. Rarely did the sorts see a washing machine. No problemo.
Old 05-07-18, 09:51 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If I have something I need washed for the next day or that's not machine washable, I'll hand wash it in the sink. I'll put in a tablespoon or two of "free and clear" type laundry soap and whatever's being washed in the sink with some warm water, get it all mixed up, and leave it for a bit while I'm in the shower. Rise it when I get out. Roll it up in a towel to get it a little bit dried, then hang it overnight to finish drying.
Old 05-07-18, 12:05 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I keep a small bottle of liquid detergent next to the sink. Squirt a small amount on the chamois before hand washing. Let it rinse in the shower when you bathe if you want to save water. Hang to drip dry. I rotate 2 pairs of shorts since sometimes one won't completely dry overnight.
Old 05-07-18, 12:14 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 1,332 Times in 729 Posts
Buy a second pair of bibs.
Old 05-07-18, 12:23 PM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychocycles
One thing I do is take the bibs with me into the shower. Then you can get a small amount of soap (if I'm feeling lazy I sometimes just use body soap but otherwise have a small container of laundry detergent outside the shower) & scrub them up a little while you're under the water and it doesn't take longer than 2-3 minutes from start to finish.
This
Old 05-07-18, 12:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18451 Post(s)
Liked 4,562 Times in 3,389 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
+++1000

I haven't gone to the whole bibs thing, and usually just ride in jeans. However, I've picked up several pairs of riding shorts, so I can have a week's supply before the next laundry batch.
Old 05-07-18, 12:32 PM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
+++1000

I haven't gone to the whole bibs thing, and usually just ride in jeans. However, I've picked up several pairs of riding shorts, so I can have a week's supply before the next laundry batch.
That sounds like a horrible experience. Almost worse than sleeping with socks on. My college dorm roommate slept with socks on. Never trusted him as a person because of it.
Old 05-07-18, 12:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22750 Post(s)
Liked 9,133 Times in 4,240 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychocycles
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Take em in the shower with you, scrubby scrub, hangy dry.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yes. Simply take them in the shower and was the pad with regular old soap. I spent nearly four months on the road touring with only 2 pairs of shorts. Rarely did the sorts see a washing machine. No problemo.
Agree with above. You can get by with just 2 pairs of shorts/bibs if you do this. It's not rocket science.
Old 05-07-18, 12:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18451 Post(s)
Liked 4,562 Times in 3,389 Posts
Originally Posted by exime
That sounds like a horrible experience. Almost worse than sleeping with socks on. My college dorm roommate slept with socks on. Never trusted him as a person because of it.
Quicker that way when the police show up to the door. Tip-toe to the back door, slip the shoes on and one is gone.
Old 05-07-18, 01:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
My schedule says that I typically get to ride 3 days per week, so I want to have 3 sets of decent bibs so that I can wash them once per week. I keep a couple older bibs around as backups for the weeks when my schedule allows more riding or for when I'm lazy and/or I forget to do laundry.
Old 05-07-18, 01:11 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by baribari
There may be other issues at play (specifically, with your saddle/fit) if you have saddle sores that just won't go away.
Old 05-07-18, 01:27 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
EXFOLIATE.

Or, if you aren't showering right after a ride, use baby wipes ASAP.

Basic acne medication like benzoil peroxide works well too.
Old 05-07-18, 01:33 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by exime
Almost worse than sleeping with socks on.
Heh. The only time I can sleep with socks on is if I am touring and camping and it gets very cold at night.
Old 05-07-18, 01:40 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

You guys are freaks. I can't imagine any circumstance where I wouldn't want to sleep with socks on. Even when it's hot.
Old 05-07-18, 02:01 PM
indyfabz

When it's sub-freezing and you are in a tent with a +33 degree sleeping bag.
Old 05-07-18, 02:07 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
+1 on taking bibs into the shower. For the OP without a washer this is the best bet and works for helmets and chest straps too.

Old business travelers trick... roll the garment in a towel and step on it to remove most of the water then hang. It will be dry in a few hours.
Old 05-07-18, 03:57 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Is it OK to wear my socks in the shower too?
Old 05-07-18, 06:21 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by noisebeam
Is it OK to wear my socks in the shower too?
Just these.
https://www.amazon.com/Secure-SRSS-1...s=shower+socks
Old 05-07-18, 07:27 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I have three pair of summer bibs, although only one of them doesn't have some messed up stitching around the middle...

I seem to go through chamois pads and stiching way before the lyrca goes bad.

Three seems about right if you ride very day.
Old 05-07-18, 07:30 PM
baribari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
There may be other issues at play (specifically, with your saddle/fit) if you have saddle sores that just won't go away.
I went and got some antibiotics yesterday. I haven't taken enough time off the bike for the ones I have to go away on their own.

The guy didn't seem to think it was an ingrown hair. Probably just an infected pore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.