Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-18, 01:37 PM
humansoul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone, new member here on BF.

I am in the market for a hybrid and my search has led me to this post, which I've read from page 1 to 20. I currently own a '14 Giant Anyroad CoMax that I enjoy as my roadie/gravel bike, but I've been looking far and wide to replace my '09 Giant Rincon 26er that I've converted to a hybrid to trail my 4 yr old and also plan to now install a mini bike seat for my newborn and use it when she's a bit older.

My dilemma is similar to what others have posted, which one to buy - 2017 SLR 1 or 2. I found a LBS that has the SLR 2 for $900 CDN, while the SLR 1 I found through another bike store out of province, where I'll have to pay for it to be shipped totalling $1300 CDN + getting it installed unless I do it myself. It seems the consensus here is the SLR 2 good enough as is and minor upgrades may be worthwhile? I was even trying to see if my carbon seat post from the Anyroad bike would fit to save on weight. My means for this bike is to trail kids, go for some longer rides than my 26er in the trails and overall exercise. Is there anyone on here that bought the SLR 2 and regret it wishing they upped for the SLR 1? If so, why? I do like the groupset and better brakes on the SLR 1, but I don't think it's worth the $400 upgrade price?

Btw...thanks for all the informative posts from all the users. The forum is great and the pics of some of the TR I've seen really make me want to pull the trigger asap!
Old 03-11-18, 06:41 PM
Carl J

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Road), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired), 2016 Kona Wo (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
I can't sneak for the SLR 1, but can say that I love the SLR 2. Like many people in here, I've upgraded the saddle (Brooks B17) and tires (Specialized Sawtooth), although, didn't have any issues with the stock tires (and use them in the winter).
Unfortunately, after a couple of winter rides, my chain and cassette rusted out, so just replaced everything with the XT 1x11.
$900 seems a bit much for last year's model though. I paid just a bit more (Canadian) for mine last summer.

Originally Posted by humansoul
Hi everyone, new member here on BF.

I am in the market for a hybrid and my search has led me to this post, which I've read from page 1 to 20. I currently own a '14 Giant Anyroad CoMax that I enjoy as my roadie/gravel bike, but I've been looking far and wide to replace my '09 Giant Rincon 26er that I've converted to a hybrid to trail my 4 yr old and also plan to now install a mini bike seat for my newborn and use it when she's a bit older.

My dilemma is similar to what others have posted, which one to buy - 2017 SLR 1 or 2. I found a LBS that has the SLR 2 for $900 CDN, while the SLR 1 I found through another bike store out of province, where I'll have to pay for it to be shipped totalling $1300 CDN + getting it installed unless I do it myself. It seems the consensus here is the SLR 2 good enough as is and minor upgrades may be worthwhile? I was even trying to see if my carbon seat post from the Anyroad bike would fit to save on weight. My means for this bike is to trail kids, go for some longer rides than my 26er in the trails and overall exercise. Is there anyone on here that bought the SLR 2 and regret it wishing they upped for the SLR 1? If so, why? I do like the groupset and better brakes on the SLR 1, but I don't think it's worth the $400 upgrade price?

Btw...thanks for all the informative posts from all the users. The forum is great and the pics of some of the TR I've seen really make me want to pull the trigger asap!
Old 03-11-18, 06:57 PM
Henny

Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl J
I can't sneak for the SLR 1, but can say that I love the SLR 2. Like many people in here, I've upgraded the saddle (Brooks B17) and tires (Specialized Sawtooth), although, didn't have any issues with the stock tires (and use them in the winter).
Unfortunately, after a couple of winter rides, my chain and cassette rusted out, so just replaced everything with the XT 1x11.
$900 seems a bit much for last year's model though. I paid just a bit more (Canadian) for mine last summer.
Chain and cassette rusted out after a couple winter rides?

I’ve been riding my SLR1 all year including in the snow. I’ve replaced chains (third chain in 6800 miles) but my cassette is still fine. The chain replacement was just regular wear and tear.

What happened? Low quality parts? Lack of maintenance?
Old 03-11-18, 07:11 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Henny
Chain and cassette rusted out after a couple winter rides?

I’ve been riding my SLR1 all year including in the snow. I’ve replaced chains (third chain in 6800 miles) but my cassette is still fine. The chain replacement was just regular wear and tear.

What happened? Low quality parts? Lack of maintenance?
Some lube every now and then doesn't hurt. But you also can replace drive trains instead of lubing...

Like i needed to buy a new car because the yellow fuel light came on.
Old 03-11-18, 07:18 PM
Henny

Bikes: 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Some lube every now and then doesn't hurt. But you also can replace drive trains instead of lubing...

Old 03-12-18, 11:16 AM
humansoul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl J
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up grabbing the SLR 2 from a LBS near me since it was the last one in my size. The LBS gave me a good deal on it and I figured it would suffice, parts-wise, as to what my plans were.
Old 03-15-18, 06:29 PM
MeatzSweatz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys

I just recently got the 2018 toughroad SLR 0 and wanting to change the tires from the stock. Currently its got a 50-622 tire on there. So just wondering if a 29x2.2 will be able to fit on there?
Old 03-16-18, 01:58 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
The ToughRoad is a 29er. Any 29 tire up to about 2.4 should fit.
Old 03-18-18, 06:38 PM
Carl J

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Road), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired), 2016 Kona Wo (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun

After literally, a couple of rides, mostly on the road and paved paths, I didn't think I would of had to maintain it. I under estimated winter riding (and the salt on the roads) I guess. Lesson learned, hopefully.

But so far, so good on the new upgrades. Just did a 75Km road/gravel ride today (and a 50Km) last weekend, with no issues.

Oh, as for upgrading, as has been mentioned several times, these wheels will support the 11 speed cassette. However, new crank and BB will be needed
Old 03-27-18, 03:49 PM
HerrKaLeun

Tubeless with the old SX-2 rims

Has anyone gone tubeless with the older SX-2 rims (before giant labelled them as tubeless for 2018)?
i have the 2016 SLR 1 and the specs just call them SX-2. For 2018 Giant calls them SX-2 tubeless.
One could say in 2016 they sued the same rims, but just didn't call them tubeless. but since Giant uses no-name rims and slaps their name on, they can just use the same name (or the word "tubeless" just became part for the name for the newer actual tubeless ones).

I want to go tubeless, but don't want to hack with non-tubeless rated rims (I know there may be ghetto ways around that). I'm even willing to build new wheels (also for other reasons) to get actual tubeless rims.

If you want tubeless with the Giant rims, state if it seemed to be an actual tubeless rim that hooks into the tire or if you had to work around and use luck. Please also state what model year you have.

I did tubeless on my fatbike before with tubeless rated tires and rims and also know I will need tubeless rated tires.
Old 03-28-18, 07:56 AM
prj71

My guess is that it is the same rim as 2016, but in 2018 they put the tubeless tape on it for the consumer.
Old 03-28-18, 04:42 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by prj71
My guess is that it is the same rim as 2016, but in 2018 they put the tubeless tape on it for the consumer.
One would think so, but if they were already designed as tubeless in 2016 marketing sure would have pointed that out as a selling feature in 2016. Other companies had labelled their bikes to have "tubeless ready" rims at that time.

The fact Giant gives them the same "model#" doesn't' mean anything since this isn't a real model# since you can't just buy those rims like you can from an actual brand name rim manufacturer.

with going tubeless I also go Schrader (please no discussion on how good Presta is), and buy new tires, so just "try it out" is a bit more complex and i rather know beforehand if i should just build new wheels (obviously don't want to build new wheels just for the sake of it). so if someone actually tried the older rims tubeless, would be helpful to hear if they worked like tubeless-rated rims.
Old 03-29-18, 12:33 PM
prj71

Tubeless ready more than likely means it had the tape applied from the factory. You are overthinking this.
Old 04-14-18, 07:03 PM
HerrKaLeun

Tubeless ready more than likely means it had the tape applied from the factory. You are overthinking this.
Well, i got my tubeless tires (Schwalbe almotion) and rim tape (sunringle) and installed them without problems.
tire fit on without tire lever and popped into place with the compressor. It wasn't all tight and needed sealant.

The original rim tape was not an adhesive tape, but a strip.

BTW, the 2" Schwalbe Almotion are a few mm smaller than the Stock 2" Maxxis. I have fenders and was afraid to buy the 2.15" Almotion. Knowing what I know now, I assume the 2.15" would have been the exact size as the 2" Maxxis.

The Almotion are heavier, but have some sturdier rubber. So even with tube they seem to be better. The Schwalbe Almotion weigh about 30g more than "Maxxis + tube" (TBH, the Maxxis were half worn out, so new they may have been a bit heavier).

Snowing right now, so I won't be able to test them for a few days.
Old 04-15-18, 08:35 AM
GLJo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ToughRoad is a 29er. Any 29 tire up to about 2.4 should fit.

Hmmm. On an SLR0, possibly. But I've tried 2.35 Schwalbe G-one Speed tyres (that only have about 0.5mm height of tread!) on my SLR1, and while the width is fine, on the rear tyre, they are super, SUPER close to the front derailleur mech bracket. And I mean there might only be a millimetre gap! way too close for comfort. I can see something with just a smidge higher tread/total diameter having issues.
Old 05-18-18, 01:42 AM
VR88

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is epic with such a wealth of information! So I've had my Toughroad SLR2 for a while now and I've been using it solely for commuting. I'm running 35c Conti Cyclocross Speed tyres, Ergon GP3 grips and a topeak rack with Ortlieb pannier.

I know a few of you have made some good upgrades, so now I'm curious. What would you suggest as being the best upgrades to do? I never used the third ring and the wheels do feel a little heavy. I'll soon stop commuting on it - I'd love to know how you'd make it more fun!

I've also been contemplating replacing it (if I have time to keep riding).

Last edited by VR88; 05-24-18 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-18-18, 10:32 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by VR88
This thread is epic with such a wealth of information! So I've had my Toughroad SLR2 for a while now and I've been using it solely for commuting (it's done almost 1000km). I'm running 35c Conti Cyclocross Speed tyres, Ergon GP3 grips and a topeak rack with Ortlieb pannier.

I know a few of you have made some good upgrades, so now I'm curious. What would you suggest as being the best upgrades to do? I never used the third ring and the wheels do feel a little heavy. I'll soon stop commuting on it, so it'll be a purely recreational bike - I'd love to know how you'd make it more fun!

I've also been contemplating replacing it, or simply going for n+1 with something like a dropbar gravel bike (i.e. Cannondale Slate Apex, Toughroad GX 0 - but they ran out of sizes in the end of year sales! Interesting, both of those are 1x).
My bottom bracket started to make crunchy noises after 6+ months, so I used that as an excuse to upgrade to a Hollowtech II crank and not only did I get a better looking crank and bottom bracket that together were at least 300grams lighter than what they replaced, I noticed the extra stiffness and this helped me with hill climbing(and I need all the help I can get).

For the sake of simplicity, I just upgraded to a triple crank with the same sized chainrings, so I didn't have to mess with my derailleurs and I then pretty much used my bike as a double crank, with 85% of my riding on the 32t middle ring and 15% on the 44t large ring.

Whilst my bike would shift smoothly to the 24t small ring, I just never bothered to do so and felt uneasy about doing so, even though there is no obvious reason to feel uneasy(chalk that up to my neuroticism).
Old 05-20-18, 01:28 AM
VR88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Colonel. What crank did you buy?

I'm wondering whether it's worth converting to 2x10, or even 1x11 but that'll require a fair bit of expense I imagine.

Speaking of expense, how many people have upgraded wheels? Is it a worthwhile cost?

Part of me likes the idea of keeping the bike and making it more fun with some upgrades. I got an amazing price when I purchased it brand new so can probably factor in some costs.

I've been running DMR V8 flats for commuting but I picked up some XT M8020 pedals and XC5 shoes today. That should inject some more life back into my ride when I go 100% recreational/leisure riding in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-20-18, 05:41 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Thanks Colonel. What crank did you buy?

I'm wondering whether it's worth converting to 2x10, or even 1x11 but that'll require a fair bit of expense I imagine.
Because I didn't want to change any shifters or derailleurs, I went with this crankset.

SHIMANO DEORE FC-M591-S HOLLOWTECH II CRANKSET

The advertised price of 77.95 Euro's, includes a 19%VAT which won't apply if you live outside the Eurozone or the UK, so the actual price becomes 65.50Euro's for the crankset.
Old 05-21-18, 10:40 PM
VR88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Because I didn't want to change any shifters or derailleurs, I went with this crankset.

The advertised price of 77.95 Euro's, includes a 19%VAT which won't apply if you live outside the Eurozone or the UK, so the actual price becomes 65.50Euro's for the crankset.
Nice idea - I'll take a look at these.

I also came across the Hunt 4 Season Gravel Disc wheels that have good reviews. At 1600g, surely I'd notice a sizeable difference over the stock SX-2 rims which by all accounts are very heavy? (can't post a link unfortunately).
Old 05-22-18, 01:25 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Nice idea - I'll take a look at these.

I also came across the Hunt 4 Season Gravel Disc wheels that have good reviews. At 1600g, surely I'd notice a sizeable difference over the stock SX-2 rims which by all accounts are very heavy? (can't post a link unfortunately).

The SX-2 wheels probably could be fairly described as "heavy", but it may come down to whether or not you are also "heavy", as to whether you can get away with less robust wheels.
Old 05-22-18, 01:30 AM
VR88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
The SX-2 wheels probably could be fairly described as "heavy", but it may come down to whether or not you are also "heavy", as to whether you can get away with less robust wheels.
Indeed! I’m 72kg so wouldn’t classify myself as too “heavy”. I suspect lighter wheels should be able to handle my weight.
Old 05-22-18, 01:38 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Indeed! I’m 72kg so wouldn’t classify myself as too “heavy”. I suspect lighter wheels should be able to handle my weight.
Yeah you should definitely go for lighter wheels then.

Be keen to hear what difference it makes if you do upgrade to those lighter wheels.
Old 05-24-18, 10:22 PM
VR88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: Sold the bike to a great new owner who will look after it and enjoy it.

Really sad sad to see it go as it’s a fantastic bike but since I’m no longer commuting, I may end up getting a drop bar gravel bike for purely recreational use down the track.
Old 08-09-18, 12:23 AM
cirian75

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol

Giant have been touting the 2018 Toughroad as a Gravel bike, and I mean our straight bar version, not just the new dropbar version.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.