Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Same wheel/tire/tube on front/rear wheel, yet valve stem barley fits thru front?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Same wheel/tire/tube on front/rear wheel, yet valve stem barley fits thru front?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 05:26 PM
c4p

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same wheel/tire/tube on front/rear, yet valve stem barley fits thru front?

I have a set of Shimano WH501 wheels. Both wheels have identical citywide 700x32c tires on them, and identical size/brand tubes (700c x 25-32c, the brand name escapes me at the moment, but they were a 2 for 1 type deal)

Even though i'm using the same exact tires/tubes/wheels, the front presta valve doesn't go thru the front rim opening the way it should. The rear is perfect. But the front, there's very little valve and I can barley grip it with my pump. I can get air in after a while, but it's beyond insanely frustrating. There's just not enough vale poking thru for the pump to grip onto properly.

I just recently started using presta valves, so they're pretty new to me. Could the rim valve openings on the front/rear be a different size? The stems are identical.

Last edited by c4p; 06-18-18 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-18-18, 05:42 PM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the tube seated correctly near the valve into the tyre?
Old 06-18-18, 06:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked 3,963 Times in 2,359 Posts
Does the ft valve not stick out of the rim as far as the rear? Have you tried to swap tubes ft to rear to see if the rear tube has the same issue in the ft rim? Will a tube valve fit in the rim nicely if there's no tire involved? How about if you stick the valve into the rim hole from the outside? Will it enter fully? Andy
Old 06-19-18, 05:17 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,103 Times in 414 Posts
At the risk of stating the obvious, tubes of the same size can come in different stem lengths, both presta and schrader. LBS suppliers are not always fussy and LBS employees may not notice nor care about the difference. So pull out both tubes and compare the stems. If you have two different lengths and somewhat aero rims (more V shaped than box sectioned) the shorter stem will go in fine but not protrude much on the hub side. LBS may even have mixed the tubes on their shelf and not noticed the difference.

Happens with schrader valve tubes too, though I'm not clear on what purpose long schrader stems serve. I've not seen deep v aero rims with schrader valves.

OH, almost forgot! Check to confirm that the presta stem nut is on the outside of the rim. In a rush some folks forget to remove the nut from the new tube before they install the tube in the tire. That would also seriously reduce the amount of protrusion.