Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

CBR 125 R - No Electricity - No Power To Lights, Indicators Or Display.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 01:29 PM
SaltenOf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all.

Was hoping you might be able to help me out? My motorbike shows no sign of power. Turning the ignition turns does not turn on any of the electronic display or the lights. The battery is fully charged. It makes an odd buzzing noise. Any help would be greatly apreciated as I am at a complete loss as to what's causing this. Cheers.

Video Of The Faulty Bike: https :// www. youtube. com /watch ?v=WjFuciB9nuM
Old 06-18-18, 01:45 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,451 Times in 1,558 Posts
While many of us have or had motorcycles, this is a bicycle forum. Good luck finding help, but you might want to ask someplace like Adventure Rider in the Road Warriors forum or one of the The Garage threads. Lots of helpful folks there.

The Garage | Adventure Rider

Last edited by thumpism; 06-18-18 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-18-18, 01:53 PM
SaltenOf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry! I had two tabs open and signed up on the wrong forum! Thanks for the reply lol
Old 06-18-18, 01:55 PM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got the wrong bike forum.

But anyway i suspect you have a ground issue.
Wipe the battery terminals with some sandpaper to clean them and inside the positive and negative clamps. (this will solve issues at the battery terminals if any), then check all the ground cables. It's highly unlikely that the positive is toast since the positive is branched so you would lose some components but not all of them.

Anyway check with a multi-meter to see how far you got voltage (especially check continuity between negative and engine block). Maybe you figure it out - somewhere a major discontinuity is present.
Old 06-18-18, 02:03 PM
SaltenOf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asi
You got the wrong bike forum.

But anyway i suspect you have a ground issue.
Wipe the battery terminals with some sandpaper to clean them and inside the positive and negative clamps. (this will solve issues at the battery terminals if any), then check all the ground cables. It's highly unlikely that the positive is toast since the positive is branched so you would lose some components but not all of them.

Anyway check with a multi-meter to see how far you got voltage (especially check continuity between negative and engine block). Maybe you figure it out - somewhere a major discontinuity is present.
Yeah I'm on the wrong website I had two 'Bike' tabs open and signed up on the wrong one, sorry! Amazing, great suggestion. Thanks for the advice, I will try checking all the wires/ground cable connections and check & clean the battery terminals. Thanks again! Will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by SaltenOf; 06-18-18 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-18-18, 02:25 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,094 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by SaltenOf
Yes I'm on the wrong website I had two 'Bike' tabs open and signed up on the wrong one, sorry! Amazing, on the wrong site and I still get a great suggestion. Thanks for the advice, I will try checking all the wires/ground cable connections and check & clean the battery terminals. Thanks again!
Sometimes just unmating/remating connections, especially those tab types, will clean them enough to restore the flow of power. Also, make certain that the battery is putting out voltage; sometimes they will fail by having an internal connection going open=no juice... Have you checked any fuses for continuity? Is the ignition switch putting out power? Is there a second (anti-theft) switch which has gotten moved? Have any repairs/changes been made recently, that is since it last ran?
Maybe you should use "moto" and "velo" instead of "bike" for your tabs to avoid confusion. But welcome to the forum.
Old 06-18-18, 02:49 PM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry dsbratjr but checking fuses is pointless here because fuses are on the positive side.

Follow the sound under the fairing there should be the issue with a ground loose. Also check the kickstand - many kickstands have a switch under them to not let you start the engine while the kickstand is out (but it will have had power.. the switch is for the ignition/fuel pump only.. so no dice)
If you have a multimeter is very easy to identify the problem since a loose ground that is buzzing will get some voltage trough so check at somewhere easy like the fuel pump voltage and see if it gets any voltage at all. I suspect there may be some 2-3V if the ground is buzzing and loose. So there are all indications for loose ground somewhere.
I am a biker as well
Trust me i'm an engineer (no really.. automotive engineer)
Old 06-18-18, 04:28 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 165 Posts
That’s a great little moto. :-)
Old 06-20-18, 02:08 PM
SaltenOf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
That’s a great little moto. :-)
Thanks very much .

Hey all. Thank you for the replys and advice. I decided to order a new battery as when I hooked it up to my external battery power and charged it to full it did not seem to keep the charge for long at all. Turns out I just needed a new battery! Thanks again for all your suggestions and help
Old 06-20-18, 02:25 PM
Asi
Engineer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice that you got it figure out. A multi-meter would have cleared that out sooner, but it's good that you finally got it.
That battery then was shorting out or something.. weird buzzing
Usually a worn battery has low capacity and high internal resistance.. so it has 12V, powers some leds and dash and may even have some dim lights, but when cranking it dies. A good indication for good battery is to hook a multi-meter for the battery terminals and disconnect the spark or the fuel pump and crank it several seconds. The voltage should not drop below 10.5V while cranking (on a motorcycle with the tiny starter I'd say even 11.5V)
Old 06-21-18, 09:01 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 765 Posts
Here's a link to a great fault finding guide for your charging system. Check the "Fault finding guide" and "Diode Testing Guide" links. Check your Stator and Regulator/Rectifier as suggested in the Guide or you may end up with another drained battery or a ruined one. Diagnosis Center - Helping you Find the Problem - ElectroSport