Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folding Helmet ?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Folding Helmet ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 08:12 PM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Folding Helmet ?

I came across this one while searching :
https://www.morpherhelmet.com

Old 05-13-18, 08:42 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
Good to know that they finally came out. I am not sure how precarious the flat shape is - practice will show. We have Overade Plixie helmets and are reasonably happy with them. I think I managed to get them at about $70 apiece, with even one visor thrown in, but usual US price tends to be $100+. Before we used Motorica folding helmets that I fished on Ebay for about $20 apiece. However, it was difficult to mount visors on them and they sat a bit awkwardly on the head, hence we moved on. Morpher seems not to mesh well with a visor either.
Old 05-14-18, 06:55 AM
Roegmann

Bikes: Pacific Cycles GT, Downtube Mini 2015 version, LitePro Crius 14"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got the Kickstarter helmet about a year-ish ago (they are offered on Amazon now). The padding dug into my temple and was very uncomfortable (I vaguely recall reading somewhere that they fixed that issue in the post-Kickstarter offerings). I never got used to it, so I use the traditional helmet. One of these days I am going to try the Plixi, Brooks, and Closca helmets (in that order).
Old 05-14-18, 08:58 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 244 Posts
I just got a very cool folding helmet yesterday. I will take some photos of it tonight and post them. The fold is more like a paper fan, but the helmet is pretty comfortable and feels very solid and secure.
Old 05-14-18, 11:18 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by Pinigis
I just got a very cool folding helmet yesterday. I will take some photos of it tonight and post them. The fold is more like a paper fan, but the helmet is pretty comfortable and feels very solid and secure.
Does it look like the Fend helmet that was on Kickstarter? There are now many offers of inexpensive helmets that look identical on Ebay and AliExpress.

Originally Posted by Roegmann
The padding dug into my temple and was very uncomfortable (I vaguely recall reading somewhere that they fixed that issue in the post-Kickstarter offerings).
This sounds like a general problem with the folding helmets where the folding gets in the way of fit. Our Motorika helmets had a tendency to slide to the side of the head as their folding style implied a spherical shell shape. By the way this review includes Motorika Snapit.
Old 05-14-18, 11:49 AM
Pinigis 

[QUOTE=2_i;20339518]Does it look like the Fend helmet that was on Kickstarter? There are now many offers of inexpensive helmets that look identical on Ebay and AliExpress.

It looks like this:
Old 05-14-18, 07:29 PM
Pinigis 

Folded

Open
Old 05-14-18, 07:39 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Benford8
Nice Helmet because you can keep it folded and carry anywhere. And also don't need much space for this one.
And...it fits on my big head!
Old 06-15-18, 05:04 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by Pinigis
And...it fits on my big head!
There is now a story developing of counterfeit Specialized, Giro and other helmets, offered on Ali Express. Aside from the helmets being counterfeit, striking is the poor protection that these helmets provide, as tested in the context of trial, especially in relation to their price. Given the even lower price for which the Fend-like helmets are offered on Ali Express and Ebay, one must wonder what protection these folding helmets actually provide.
Old 06-27-18, 08:51 AM
MrFlamey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.hedkayse.com/
https://www.hedkayse.com/products/he...nt=21910621252

I've been wanting one of these for a while, since they are all about improving the safety of the helmet, mainly through the development of an alternative foam material that doesn't deteriorate from small knocks, and also protects the rider much better in the case of a multiple head impact crash. The foam is not rigid, so the helmet also happens to fold down to about half of it's size by simply bending it, instead of using an elaborate folding mechanism. Not available yet, but sounds like it will be available in Europe in the next few months.

The downsides of the design seem to be that it's kind of bulky to begin with, heavy and at $150 is not particularly cheap either.
Old 07-11-18, 05:22 AM
Iain@Hedkayse

Bikes: 2 full sus MTB- one with a motor. one Road (indoor use on rollers) - for when I need to lose weight.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MrFlamey

We're almost there. It's been hard work to create something that's never been done before. A helmet that will pass and pass and pass the EU safety standards test time after time. We've tested one 70+ times, on the full test, and it still passes - game changing. And it also folds to reduce width by 30%.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in. Just been doing some online searching to see if/where we're being talked about.

New looking website coming soon - In stores soon. Happy to answer any Q's here if you've got any.

Perfect for Commuter/MTB/Urban/e-Bike riders.

Thanks
Iain
Old 07-15-18, 08:13 PM
MrFlamey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Iain, thanks for responding to the thread. Great to hear that Headkayse has passed the safety checks with flying colours. I guess if it can be used repeatedly without worry about knocks and bumps, the cost is less of an issue, and it's quite comparable to other helmets anyway.

I do have a few questions:
1. Will you be shipping worldwide, or is it just going to be available in Europe?
2. Is it available in multiple sizes, or is it one size fits all?
3. I actually don't mind the appearance, but do you have any plans to make a more svelte version in the future, or would shrinking it significantly harm the protection it offers?
Old 07-16-18, 05:31 AM
Iain@Hedkayse

Bikes: 2 full sus MTB- one with a motor. one Road (indoor use on rollers) - for when I need to lose weight.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mr Flamey, there's a lot of questions out there about our technology. A lot of disbelief, a lot of uncertain people. And rightly so. it's a game changer and people are going to be sceptical. That's cool. We just have to do an amazing job of giving you all the facts of Enkayse vs EPS - and we will.

1) Just Europe for now. As that was the first market we wanted to get into - big commuter/urban/MTB. Plan for US and AUS/NZ soon.
2) The Hedkayse One is a one size fits all - 49cm - 62.5cm. And we think it looks good at the top and bottom end of the scale - not looking like a mushroom on a smaller head.
3) There are, of course, plans for different styles soon. Secrets, secrets. But we are sure we can reduce the over all size and still keep the repeated bang/crash protection.

Thanks for the Q's!