Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BB and sweat?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

BB and sweat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-18, 10:36 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
BB and sweat?

So this is a guess, wondering if I am on the right track. I rarely ride when it is all rainy. Bike mentioned is a 1989 Panasonic, original bottom bracket configuration. I had serviced it early in the spring, a few weeks ago it was making an awful noise, opened it up and the grease looked like it had been running underwater. Marine grade bearing grease was used. I live in Florida, and I sweat buckets. If it is over 65, I am wet. And I don’t have a cushy A/C job. My thought is the sweat ran down the seatpost onto the bearings. Am I on the right track? Do I find a way to plug the seatpost? My wife says moving to a more tolerable climate is out.
Old 06-29-18, 11:08 AM
jwh20

Bikes: Felt Z5, Look 675 Light, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes, sweat, spillage from your water bottles, and water kicked up from the road, and any rain you might ride it. All of those contribute and regardless of the "grade" of grease used, nothing will substitute for a regular disassembly, cleaning, and re-greasing.
Old 06-30-18, 07:56 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
So this is a guess, wondering if I am on the right track. I rarely ride when it is all rainy. Bike mentioned is a 1989 Panasonic, original bottom bracket configuration.

One solution to prevent this from happening again, or at least as frequently, is to switch to a sealed cartridge bottom bracket (BB). They're a bit more costly but should not be as affected by the sweat/water. However, if you wish to stay with that tradition loose bearing BB...if it doesn't include a plastic seal insert...see if you can get one. It should provide more of a barrier. Not all bikes came with them...not sure where you could get one...maybe the LBS might have one, or you could try a DIY. What I'm suggesting is the plastic tube above the spindle in this pic:

Last edited by _ForceD_; 07-01-18 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-30-18, 05:24 PM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Thanks, ForceD, will check that out, definitely an immediate fix. I am considering for the long run a sealed cartridge BB.
Old 06-30-18, 06:48 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Happened to a friend of mine. He had his bike in the shop for spring service and bike mechanic told him he had a few tablespoons of liquid in his bottom bracket.
Old 06-30-18, 07:04 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
There should be a hole at the bottom of the BB shell so water can run out. Especially here in Florida. While you have the BB out for service make one if there isn't one.