Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Purchased rusty pitted axles from Hilary Stone as NOS

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 12:15 PM
sahar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear friends,
I purchased two NOS Stronglight axles from Hilary Stone. I had read about her store on reviews but I didn't have any experience.
I received the axles in the condition you see in the pictures. They are rusty and also have dents and pitting. I sent email to the seller but I didn't get any answer.
I'm not sure if this condition makes problem. Could you please share your ideas? Thanks!
(I'm not allowed to share Urls until ten posts. Please copy and paste the following links to your browser and click enter. The only way I found to share the pictures. Each three pictures are from one axle)
ibb.co/jR1c98
ibb.co/bPOzp8
ibb.co/jFbxbo
ibb.co/m0naU8
ibb.co/kdD4NT
ibb.co/m4qr2T
Old 07-09-18, 12:34 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
First axel... maybe just surface rust. Clean it off and then see.
Second axle.... pits are not on the bearing race.... should be usable. Clean them better and take more pics.
Old 07-09-18, 12:36 PM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with a scotch brite pad (or emery cloth) over them and some rust remover (or some penetrating oil, even wd-40 will work).
Asses if there are any gouges of any kind on the bearing surface. If not you are clear to go.
I only see a problem if there are gouges after cleaning in the second and third image. The race is the curved section on the outside. The balls mesh on a tiny surface and if that is clear of flaws is perfect.
It's normal to rust if not protected.. and the factory grease is long gone.. but it might be only surface rust in non critical areas that might not change any dimensions to generate problems.
Old 07-09-18, 12:47 PM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Pitted and rusty is not new old stock. If they were priced that way then a partial refund is called for if you want to keep them.
Old 07-09-18, 12:58 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
They look perfectly fine to me, if you were to leave them outside in the rain overnight they would look far worse. You have to remember they might have been sitting on a shelf for 30 years! If it bothers you take a bit of vinegar with some light steel wool but it won't effect them either way as usually you put a tiny bit of grease on those spots anyways.
Old 07-09-18, 01:11 PM
sahar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys!
The last picture shows a small gouge on the race. Does it make any problem after a while?
I paid $50 for them. Now I think too much...
Old 07-09-18, 01:22 PM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last picture is not on the race.
Take a close look on the shiny bands to see where the race is.
Old 07-09-18, 01:23 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
How about going back to the source, rather than moaning on a forum, where you haven't even been on long to have enough to post photos.
Old 07-09-18, 01:53 PM
sahar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
How about going back to the source, rather than moaning on a forum, where you haven't even been on long to have enough to post photos.
Am I moaning? I asked the seller first but no answer. They probably know what they did.
I'm asking experienced people if the axles are usable or not. If you have any opinion about that welcome!
Old 07-09-18, 01:55 PM
sahar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asi
Last picture is not on the race.
Take a close look on the shiny bands to see where the race is.
Thank you!
Old 07-09-18, 02:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18427 Post(s)
Liked 4,545 Times in 3,377 Posts
Hard to say. I'd be a bit perturbed by the rust. Did you get photos of the actual items before sale? Notes about the condition?

Nonetheless, I have started polishing all my cones before installation. For hubs, I chuck up an axle + cone + locknut into a small drill press, and spin it and sand with light sanding paper (200 to 600 grit, oil for last bit). I picked up some broken axles from the local coop for just that purpose.

I've similarly worked bottom bracket spindles that way using a lathe. One won't really know what you have until you polish it (which may give a better than new finish).

As mentioned above, there are different parts of the bottom bracket spindle. The seat for the cranks, the place for the seals, and the actual curved part where the bearings run. I'd be most concerned about only that final curved area where the bearings rest. Most of the bad spots you've photographed won't be where the bearings run.
Old 07-09-18, 05:35 PM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sahar
Am I moaning? I asked the seller first but no answer. They probably know what they did.
I'm asking experienced people if the axles are usable or not. If you have any opinion about that welcome!
Most used things can be made useable. The point here is you paid a premium for items that should be old stock from a dealer in like new condition You did not get that.
Old 07-09-18, 06:09 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 424 Posts
The spindle in the photo (post #7 ) does not look like NOS to me. There definitely was a crank installed.
Old 07-09-18, 07:34 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 1,097 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Agreed. (although I wouldn't call it moaning necessarily) OP mentioned he emailed them but I find it's not uncommon for emails to get slow or no response from many companies. In this case give them a phone call and see what they say. Not sticking up for Hillary Stone as I've never heard of them until this post but just passing on some practical advice. They may end up bending over backwards to correct this for you. Mistakes can be made by almost every company.
Old 07-09-18, 08:25 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My impression from the pics is that the spindles have never been on a bike, because they don't show the typical wear on the bearing surface and the tapers.
Old 07-10-18, 01:20 AM
Asi
Engineer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
The spindle in the photo (post #7 ) does not look like NOS to me. There definitely was a crank installed.
The spindle in question is in the first links provided by OP. The one in post #7 is something i found on the net just to illustrate the exact location of raceways to inspect carefully in that area on his spindle.
Old 07-10-18, 10:55 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,188 Posts
OP,
I have bought many NOS parts when restoring cars and NOS does not mean perfect by any stretch of the imagination...after years of storage there may well be shelve wear.
Nicks and rust are almost always present if the parts have not been used they can be called NOS if not installed or used. As others have suggested I would try to clean them to be sure that they are functional (new) and if not or if they have been used send them back and file a dispute with your credit card company..that is what I would do if in your position.
Best of Luck, Ben
Not able to view your pics

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 07-11-18, 01:12 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
OP,
I have bought many NOS parts when restoring cars and NOS does not mean perfect by any stretch of the imagination...after years of storage there may well be shelve wear.
Nicks and rust are almost always present if the parts have not been used they can be called NOS if not installed or used. As others have suggested I would try to clean them to be sure that they are functional (new) and if not or if they have been used send them back and file a dispute with your credit card company..that is what I would do if in your position.
Best of Luck, Ben
Not able to view your pics
^^^ Exactly.
Old 07-11-18, 01:47 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I think those looks like NOS stuff that has been sitting around 30 or 40 years and it looks exactly as I'd expect to. Most of the rust and stuff will come off with a brass brush or a bit of sanding. I wouldn't worry too much about any of it if you've bought them to use. I guess if you bought them under the impression they'd be shiny and display-worthy I guess you might be right to be upset but I don't assume NOS items to be like that unless I can see it in photos.