Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

cleaning injectors

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

cleaning injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-18, 09:28 AM
tc4all

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cleaning injectors

Can you clean for re-use, the injectors and tubes used for brake bleeding (DOT 3), and those for tire sealant? I don't know if I am suppose to clean, save, and reuse these or if they are one time shot item. If for re-use, what do they get cleaned with?
Old 07-10-18, 11:30 AM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh wow... from the title i was clenching my fingers to tell all about gasoline and diesel injectors and variants and how to clean them.

As for those syringes, they are reusable and you can always get a new one if it's leaking or cracked. Brake fluid is quite aggressive towards rubber, paint, and others.. wait and see if the syringe rubber goes nasty. As for cleaning, you can with water. DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are mixable with water so water can clean them. Or just leave them empty as brake fluid is pretty clean (if the brake fluid won't eat the rubber or plastic).

As for tyre sealant, idk, but surely will mess up the syringe if left since tyre sealant reacts and solidifies in air. If it's a common syringe, just use a new one. If not, then cleaning it after use is a must.
Old 07-10-18, 01:03 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Yes, save and reuse.

Uncured latex sealant cleans up with water. Just rinse and store for next time.

I store brake fluid tools in a large ziplock bag and reuse them. Shimano brake fluid is mineral oil but I treat automotive tools for DOT3 and DOT4 fluids the same way - in a ziplock bag and on the shelf in the garage for next time.

Most synthetic rubber is resistant to DOT brake fluids. I would not worry about storing it.

-Tim-
Old 07-16-18, 11:36 AM
tc4all

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the helpful information.