Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Manhattan to Norwalk, CT

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Manhattan to Norwalk, CT

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 09:33 AM
johnlink

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Manhattan to Norwalk, CT

Here's a link to the route I've created from my home to Norwalk, CT. Do you see any problems with it? I know it’s fine in Manhattan but after that I have no idea.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27860251

Thanks,
John Link
Old 06-25-18, 08:26 AM
davlafont
No newbie

Bikes: 2001 Specialized Expedition Sport | 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27 | 1973 Raleigh Super Course | 1984 Trek 720 | 2019 Cannondale SuperX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're comfortable riding in the city on any and all streets, your route works. It looks like you are, since you've chosen to head up Amsterdam Ave. and then across on Fordham Road. (Many people are not, so I don't assume.) In that case, all routes that don't go underwater or on Interstate Highways are fair game and yours clearly gets you where you want to go.

Also, consider (or share with us) what your goals for the trip are. My first instinct was to see if you're following the East Coast Greenway route. It's easy to check with RWG by switching the map to OSM Cycle. The ECG (and all other greenways) are clearly highlighted so its a quick comparison to make. I see there are a few spots where you go different than the ECG, which is designed to be a scenic and bike friendly as possible. Take a look at New Rochelle where the ECG markings indicate you might be routed against a one-way street.
Old 07-23-18, 07:07 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone that lives in CT, just curious as to why Norwalk is your destination?

That is going to be a long trip.
Old 07-23-18, 09:39 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by IvyGodivy
I'd argue if it's long or not depends largely on the conditions you find. I don't think I'd personally be comfortable with what I'd imagine I'd find, but distance wise it's less than doing the whole trail through Westchester and Putnam counties, or lots of apparently popular road ride loops on on the Hudson. And it's hard to imagine any distance ride with more frequent opportunities to bail out to train service that allows bikes outside peak hours.
Old 07-24-18, 08:37 AM
davlafont
No newbie

Bikes: 2001 Specialized Expedition Sport | 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27 | 1973 Raleigh Super Course | 1984 Trek 720 | 2019 Cannondale SuperX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IvyGodivy
As someone that lives in CT, just curious as to why Norwalk is your destination?

Meh. I'm no Randonneur, but a 54-miler doesn't seem to be especially long. Psychologically it's long journey (Norwalk? That's way the f out in Connecticut!). I just rode from uptown Manhattan through Queens and "out" to Glen Cove, Long Island. Psychologically, that seemed like an epic journey (I drive out there on the highway often). In reality, 30 miles is 30 miles. The stop lights in the city are what made it long.

Lots of riders knock out metric centuries for Sunday morning exercise. At 54 miles, the OP might be headed to his mom's house for a late brunch.

Last edited by davlafont; 07-26-18 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-26-18, 07:17 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either way, if you come to CT and notify me days in advance and willing to, I will meet you and go for rides.