Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Tandem with Suspension???

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 05:19 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Curious, has anyone ever seen, or ridden a road tandem with rear suspension. Not long travel, but something say like a Moots YBB setup. Minimal increase in weight, and done right could improve grip, plus smooth out the ride on the back.
Old 08-14-18, 10:46 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by PMK
Curious, has anyone ever seen, or ridden a road tandem with rear suspension. Not long travel, but something say like a Moots YBB setup. Minimal increase in weight, and done right could improve grip, plus smooth out the ride on the back.
Well, given the availability of suspension posts, it seems that road rear suspension consists of only that. The SoftRide suspension beam idea came and went. I still see lots of CoMotions on CraigsList with the Softride. Just not a solution that had many adherents. And with carbon frames, the need for suspension has probably lessened, since the ride characteristics of carbon seem to offer much better comfort, while maintaining stiffness in the right direction(s). Given the popularity and rave reviews of the Thudbuster and BodyFloat seatposts, I don't think there's much consumer demand for a rear (and front) suspension road tandem.
Old 08-15-18, 07:50 PM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Well, given the availability of suspension posts, it seems that road rear suspension consists of only that. The SoftRide suspension beam idea came and went. I still see lots of CoMotions on CraigsList with the Softride. Just not a solution that had many adherents. And with carbon frames, the need for suspension has probably lessened, since the ride characteristics of carbon seem to offer much better comfort, while maintaining stiffness in the right direction(s). Given the popularity and rave reviews of the Thudbuster and BodyFloat seatposts, I don't think there's much consumer demand for a rear (and front) suspension road tandem.
We have used a Thudbuster on our Fandango. Seatpost suspension has merits, but does, actually pretty much must move the rider to function. The YBB does not move the rider position at all. YBB is not perfect, I have learned that there is a point of max rpm that when exceeded the rear starts hopping a bit until you shift.

Just thinking and asking.
Old 08-18-18, 02:29 PM
IanS

Bikes: Trek T2000, Cannondale RT2, Orbit, 1970x Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've often had the same thought as some of the roads we ride on are terrible. As an e

I've often had the same thought as some of the roads we ride on are terrible. As an example, there's a two mile stretch when our speed drops 3 kph when we hit it. Apart from being incredibly uncomfortable,, the shaking just drains all the strength from your legs. A suspension post won't prevent this, but rear suspension should. I'm currently experimenting with fatter tyres and lower pressure but for a 180 kg team there's only so low you can go on a typical road set up. It'd be interesting to compare the ride with an MT tandem, or even try a fat tandem just to see how much difference it would make to the ride.
Old 08-19-18, 04:55 AM
PMK

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IanS
I've often had the same thought as some of the roads we ride on are terrible. As an example, there's a two mile stretch when our speed drops 3 kph when we hit it. Apart from being incredibly uncomfortable,, the shaking just drains all the strength from your legs. A suspension post won't prevent this, but rear suspension should. I'm currently experimenting with fatter tyres and lower pressure but for a 180 kg team there's only so low you can go on a typical road set up. It'd be interesting to compare the ride with an MT tandem, or even try a fat tandem just to see how much difference it would make to the ride.
We have a mountain tandem, fully suspended and it would no doubt float over those bumps without slowing or losing efficency. However, it is not an ideal road tandem.

My focus is more leaning towards the MOOTs YBB design. I ask, because I have two titanium mountain bikes. Both the same vintage, wheel size and similar drivetrain quality. The 1” travel MOOTs is certainly better at not dropping speed in sections of small loose rocks or bumps when compared to the hardtail Dean. Both are nice bikes. Both move along very well, but tne MOOTs is certainly smoother and goes faster with less apparent effort on small bumps and stutters.

For those unfamiliar with the YBB, there are no pivots. The ti frame is flexed behind the BB, and there is a very small telescopic spring elastomer just below the seattube clamp. Very simple, clean and light weight. You get about 1” of wheel travel. Rebuilding the shock is less than 30 minutes at a slow workpace.
Old 08-19-18, 05:00 AM
PMK

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Something like this in a road tandem

Mooto X YBB - Moots
Old 08-19-18, 05:52 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by PMK
Something like this in a road tandem

Mooto X YBB - Moots
I'm sure my experience of putting a tandem road wheel set (Continental 700x40) on my Fandango is not the result you seek. I turn the MRP Ribbon front fork adjustment to "firm", and I leave the Thudbuster LT as is. Riding the chip seal is pleasant enough, but it's closer to driving a rental truck than driving a luxury sedan. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but my stoker prefers riding her single bike (entry level aluminum hybrid) on pavement, the Fandango on gravel. (She says it's because she wants to control the shifting and watch where she's going. Somehow that doesn't apply when we are riding gravel.)

I think maybe you could have close to the experience you want by using a Thudbuster ST seatpost on the stoker position, but it won't be as elegant as the Moots design. I use the ST on a couple of my single bikes, and I like the ride.
Old 08-19-18, 06:09 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Our tandem is close to what you’ve described, but is nominally a rigid frame. We have a Ti frame with really short stoker seat tube which offers more vertical compliance than the traditional steel frame it replaced (even with the same wheels and tires). We’re a fairly light team (330lb including bike and gear typically) and use supple tires in the 40 to 60mm width range. By all accounts, we’re faster on pavement than we ever were with 28 to 38mm tires with the steel frame. With 40mm tires at 70psi, road surface differences disappear— tar strips, cracks, patches, roughened concrete are all muted. With 50-60mm tires, our bike doesn’t slow down when the pavement ends - similar to the OP’s description of his Moots YBB.
I can see some value in a short travel suspension when paired with skinny tires that don’t absorb enough road chatter. Check with Granite - they’re open to pushing the envelope of conventional tandem design.
Old 08-19-18, 08:48 AM
PMK

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool replies. We have had a Fandango 29. Great bike and saw many miles off road with a Thudbuster.

The YBB, unlike the Thudbuster lets the wheel move.

I I do follow through on any of tnis, my goal is skinny 25 tires, and just enough suspension to take the edge off and roll fast.

Current setup is an aluminum frame with a vintage Syncros ti seatpost.
Old 08-20-18, 09:34 AM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Calfee has built some singles with rear suspension.