Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Camp Pendleton now implementing entrance requirements for cyclists

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 02:23 PM
planeguy5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm on the penultimate day of my Canada-Mexico bike tour, and want to clarify one important note. The policy for entering Camp Pendleton has officially changed, and you now must obtain an authorization QR code at the south gate. The guys at the north gate this afternoon said they got notification of the change within the past two days, even though it wasn't slated to change until later in September.

I had not been notified and was denied access to base, so I took I-5 instead to Oceanside. Would've been nice if they had notified folks that pre-registered, but I guess that's what's expected from the federal government.

Happy riding to all!
Old 08-27-18, 03:40 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I used to live near there and used to ride singles and tandems through there all the time. Any idea on how a cyclist obtains an authorization QR code???
Old 08-27-18, 09:27 PM
GP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's an office trailer at the main (south) gate that issues them. I got mine last week - took 52 minutes.

Mine wasn't a code; it's a plastic ID card with my picture.
Old 08-28-18, 04:16 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rode along I-5 two weeks ago due to probably not being allowed to enter to ride as I did 2.5 years ago. Aside from the noise from all those ugly four-wheel monsters, there was absolutely no reason not to ride the freeway. I did encounter two trucks parked in the shoulder (both due to mechanical problems) - one I was able to get by without going into the left lane, however the second truck was taking up all the room, so I got off my bike and carefully walked it around the truck on the right side. Very little debris on the shoulder and I had several people (who, of course had never actually ridden this route) give me negative opinions on doing it. I wish people would shut up when they don't actually have first hand experience at something.