Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Windsor Carrera Sport

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Windsor Carrera Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 11:45 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Liked 2,129 Times in 1,123 Posts
Windsor Carrera Sport

Chrome lugs and tall headtube caught my eye, buried in the back of the pile of bikes at the Bike Farm. 25" frames are hard to come by. After 15 minutes of gymnastics I had it extracted. Shimano forged dropouts, Sugino maxy crank with 48/52 chainrings for (I guess) half-step shifting. Suntour Seven deraileurs, Suntour stem shifters, Dia-compe center-pulls. I didn't realize at the time, but the BB is Italian. The paint is half gone, wheels a mismatch - front a Sunshine high-flange hub laced to a Weinmann rim (27"), rear a Miche Competition hub and no-name rim. It followed me home for $60.

Torn down, the BB spindle and cups are pitted. The front hub is the same, There's a fair amount of rust on the frame though nothing structural.

The idea is a winter beater - something to put my studded tires on and ride when it's icy. For that I'll need 700c wheels.

I should probably toss the whole thing and start over. Or just repack the bearings and ride it as-is.

Old 10-03-18, 12:20 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Liked 523 Times in 367 Posts
Looks like the perfect winter beater project
Old 10-03-18, 05:24 AM
juvela

Liked 3,506 Times in 2,280 Posts
-----

Dropouts Maeda (Suntour)

Original pedals were KKT RTSF-AL

Original rear mech Suntour VGT Luxe

Original rear wheel Sunshine/Weinmann

Tip - stem/steerer size is .833

-----

-----

Last edited by juvela; 10-06-18 at 11:15 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-03-18, 09:15 PM
Don Buska

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
They were pretty good bikes for a low cost. I had one just like yours, albeit in the 21" version, and I rode it until 1980 when the frame finally cracked due to an accident several years prior. The same company that produced those Windsors also produced the SR brand (down near San Diego). I got a frame swap to their SR brand as the Windsors were not offered as frames only. That SR is still in my ride rotation of bikes till this day - although heavily upgraded on the components side now .

Here is a rather crappy scan of the original bike review for that Windsor that you might find interesting.
Old 10-03-18, 10:29 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Tip - stem/steerer size is .833

-----

-----
Oh, didn't know that. Good to know.
Old 10-04-18, 03:58 AM
Kabuki12

Liked 2,345 Times in 1,315 Posts
I would say you did well. I have the Windsor Pro and I love it! The frame is well used having been raced frequently through its life in San Luis Obispo , Cal. I paid 300 for it and have gotten every penny's worth out of the bike with no issues. I have not ridden the Carrera Sport, but if it is anything like its big brother you will enjoy that bike, even as a "beater". Joe
1973 Windsor Profesional
Old 10-04-18, 11:12 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Liked 1,326 Times in 881 Posts
One thing that I liked about my 23" Carrera Sport was that it had the frame angles of a real racing bike, quite unlike most of the modest sport-touring bikes that it competed with in that price-point sector.
So expect 74-degree angles on similar-sized Sports.
But what really drew me to the bike was that I found it in a dumpster and that it had those fancy chromed lugs and socks.
It was also fairly heavy, made with Hi-Ten sort of steel for sure.
Old 10-05-18, 11:19 PM
downtube42

It appears to have a 68mm Italian threaded BB shell, which does not exist in the world as far as I can tell. But it's definitely Italian; clearly stamped 36x24 on the fixed cup. And measures 68mm wide. Italian is (supposed to be) 70mm.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribshe...mbrackets.html

This guy agrees on the bike:
https://www.obatik.com/stories/bikin...carrera-sport/

I just bought a 70mm Italian cartridge BB. Maybe it will fit, maybe I'll have to shim out 1mm per side.

Fun times!
Old 10-06-18, 09:22 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

The Italian threading could be a repair, used to restore damaged threading to the oversized (by ~1mm) Italian 36mm.

I would check to see if the non-driveside threading has the same I.D.!
Old 10-06-18, 11:17 AM
juvela

Liked 3,506 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
The Italian threading could be a repair, used to restore damaged threading to the oversized (by ~1mm) Italian 36mm.

I would check to see if the non-driveside threading has the same I.D.!
-----

The Italian threaded shell is OEM.

OEM type II spindle is likely nr. 3S or 3T.

Steerer thread on these is BSC but steerer interior is .833.

A unique combination of dimensions in my spanner twistin' experience.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 10-06-18 at 11:22 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-07-18, 09:25 PM
downtube42

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

The Italian threaded shell is OEM.

OEM type II spindle is likely nr. 3S or 3T.

Steerer thread on these is BSC but steerer interior is .833.

A unique combination of dimensions in my spanner twistin' experience.

-----
Spindle is stamped 3S.

And yes both fixed and adjustable cups are stamped 36x24.

My last project bike was a 70's Motobecane Grand Jubile, which had the normal French oddities. This thing is a oddball among oddballs.
Old 10-12-18, 07:15 PM
downtube42

Rough build up. I'll tear it down and paint later. Rode to work today. Right crank is bent, bars are too narrow. With the 118mm bb cartridge I had to remove the small ring because it interfered with the chainstay. I'll be looking for another crankset.
Old 10-12-18, 08:08 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1,057 Times in 684 Posts
Windsor bottom 'brackets are odd. They are a mix of Italian and English. If I remember right, I'm old, so this might be wrong, Italian threads and English width. So, getting a replacement can be tricky because you have to get the spindle separate from the cups. I had a lowly Windsor International when I worked in a bike shop, so I had a big advantage for sourcing the right parts that I needed to upgrade my bottom bracket. Spindles we readily available separately at the time. Now, you have to search and maybe make some phone calls.

Nice bike. I'd ride it without painting it.
Old 10-12-18, 09:42 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Reminds me of my Steyr, which has the odd combination of metric tubing, English BB and Austrian 26mm x 22mm steer tube, and uses a 25.6mm seatpost!

Old 10-19-18, 10:46 PM
downtube42

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Windsor bottom 'brackets are odd. They are a mix of Italian and English. If I remember right, I'm old, so this might be wrong, Italian threads and English width. So, getting a replacement can be tricky because you have to get the spindle separate from the cups. I had a lowly Windsor International when I worked in a bike shop, so I had a big advantage for sourcing the right parts that I needed to upgrade my bottom bracket. Spindles we readily available separately at the time. Now, you have to search and maybe make some phone calls.

Nice bike. I'd ride it without painting it.
Your memory is correct - English width and Italian threads. Rather than trying to source vintage parts, I installed a new Italian Shimano cartridge BB, and used the original adjustable cup's lockring as a spacer on the drive side. So far so good after about 100 miles. I torqued the heck out of the fixed cup.

I'm undecided on painting. I had to build it up quick because my primary commuter was in the shop. Now that the commuter's back online, I can take some time to reconfigure the Windsor to suit me, tear it back down, then decide how to deal with the bare metal. Clear-coat, at least.

On reconfiguring. Between my damaged spine and long torso, I need a long reach and relatively high bars. We're talking negative bar drop. I replaced the stock stem with a threaded/threadless adapter (0.833 steerer, ebay, alloy) and a long riser stem (bike co-op, Specialized, aluminum, new-ish). I rode it on a grocery run tonight - wow, what a difference having my torso unwound makes.

Oh, I replaced the stock bars with some SR Randonneur bars from the co-op. I have a half-baked idea of riding this on a 100k Populaire in a few weeks, and I've found randonneur bars more comfortable.

Next up are some vintage Suntour clamp-on downtube shifters to replace the vintage Suntour stem shifters. My knee has a tendency to knock it into a higher gear when out of the saddle.
Old 10-20-18, 10:38 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Liked 3,681 Times in 1,685 Posts
Cool bike, and those suntour seven derailleurs really over perform for cheap units. Love that u went with the cartridge bb. Make it work for you.