Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tapping a frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tapping a frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 10:29 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Tapping a frame

so i bought a full suspension mtn bike for my wife. while i was doing that initial prep work, peeling stickers and tossing reflectors, etc, i noticed that there are not bottle cage mounts inside the triangle. would it be imprudent of me to have the inner side of the downtube tapped for bottle mounts? the bike in question is a Ghost from REI and the bike in the photo has cage mounts, as you would expect. i bought her a small frame, i believe the size is the issue, but there is enough space inside the triangle for a smaller bottle. the shock mount movement is mainly vertical, so if positioned properly, the bottle should not interfere with the shock. i would have to install one of those side-loading cages, i happen to have one handy. the question is, should i worry about my wife if i get the frame tapped?
Old 12-14-18, 10:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
bottle cage mounts inside the triangle...
maybe you should wear a camel back?

rather than try to reach for a bottle in technical sections, you bought that bike to ride ?

Twofish .biz lets you fit bottle cages without poking holes in your frame,,

I see bottle cage mounts you dont?

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-14-18 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 12:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Can you get your tools in there to work?

I'd probably drill a small hole in one location. Then assess the tubing wall thickness. If it seems OK, drill and tap both locations.

If the tubing is too thin, then enlarge and try a pair of rivnuts.
Old 12-15-18, 09:36 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Rivnuts would be a must. Tapping the frame tube would not be reliable.
Old 12-15-18, 10:03 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Also complain to REI for the bike not having usable cage mounts. What a pain.
Old 12-15-18, 10:46 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Agreed that Rivnuts is really the only way to insure long term reliability. Take much care as to exactly where you place them. Plan to somehow remove the tubing chips from inside the tube after, like pulling the BB or fork and shaking them out a vent hole. For someone with the right tools and having the bits on hand this is a fairly quick and easy job. Andy
Old 12-15-18, 10:33 PM
kevrider

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
rivnuts! thanks for the tip, gents, i've never heard of such. i'll have to see if my mechanic is familiar....

Originally Posted by fietsbob
water in the pack, gatorade in the bottle. it's easier to wash a bottle.

i do not. the bike in the pic is not a small.
Old 12-16-18, 07:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
"water in the pack, gatorade in the bottle. it's easier to wash a bottle."

Do know that solutions that have an electrolyte in them and are spilled, dribbled, from a water bottle and come into contact with in frame bosses can rapidly cause corrosion between the bolt and the boss. Rivenut material is chosen for it's moldability, not it's resistance to corrosion. If you ride with this stuff in your bottles I strongly suggest periodic removal of cage bolts and relubing them. Andy
Old 12-16-18, 10:48 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...there are some relatively cheap and workable cage mounts for the bar that would probably work, if your wife is not a real aggressive rider. If you take much air, the bottle kinda flies out the top of the cage when it's up on the bar. There are also cages that mount behind the saddle.
Old 12-16-18, 11:20 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

You could go this route.

Dan
Old 12-16-18, 11:42 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I sold these bikes for quite a few years, and the problem with smaller frames is (as you mentioned) there is no room for a bottle cage. I wouldencourage you not to try to do anything to alter the frame. First, you’ll absolutely void the warranty on the bike. Second, whenever a frame is drilled or compromised, it increases the possibility of cracks and frame failure. Here’s a pic of a steel frame I bought that had been drilled for hidden cables (at the factory). When I sanded the paint away for a refinish, I found cracks at the hole. I’m not saying that would happen with aluminum, but it’s a possibility. You’d be drilling through the thinnest part of the tube. I recommend looking for an alternative. Plus . . . you’ve got a nice bike!

Last edited by ddeand; 12-17-18 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-17-18, 12:30 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
I sold thise bikes for quite a few years, and the problem with snalker frames is (as you mentioned) there is no room for a bottle cage. I wouldencourage you not to try to do anything to alter the frame. First, you’ll absolutely void the warranty on the bike. Second, whenever a frame is drilled or compromised, it increases the pissibility of cracks and frame failure. Here’s a pic od a steel frame I bought that had been drilled for hidden cables (at the factory). When I sanded the paint away for a refinish, I found cracks at the hole. I’m not saying that would happen with aluminum, but it’s a possibility. You’d be drilling through the thinnest part of the tube. I recommend looking for an alternative. Plus . . . nice bike!
You beat me to it. I would absolutely never tap a frame (especially an alloy frame) myself for fear of causing stress risers. It may take years to have a problem or it may take a few days. If offroad, maybe faster. I was going to recommend a behind the seat post mount, but it appears to be a dropper post, so no room. The seat mount is workable and handlebars mounts are very handy, I used one for years. I recently saw a bike with one that attached to 2 of the four handlebar clamp screws, but the rider was not present to ask where he/she bought it, and I was not going to go real close to look for a manufacturer name.
Old 12-17-18, 07:16 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Before I did any irreversible frame work, I'd try the twofish bottle cage mount. Just because the bottle will fit doesn't necessarily mean that it can be removed and replaced easily while riding. Some folks can take a bottle out drink, and replace it without a bobble or any noticeable change to their line. Others wobble and can't hold a line doing the same thing. With the twofish mount, you can experiment with downtube and toptube locations to see what works best, and you may ultimately decide to use a camelbak because it's just easier to manage on the trail. Has more capacity too, and some of the models have zippered pouches you can carry snacks and/or a jacket.
Old 12-17-18, 09:20 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Aside from the other very good reasons not to do this, do you have a drill with a right-angle chuck? That's a pretty tight area.
I second the TwoFish recommendation.
Old 01-18-19, 11:55 AM
kevrider

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
no frame tapping, then! i've had those undersaddle tri-bike type mounts on a mtn bike before, the bottles were launched quite nicely. i'll get a pair of SKS straps with bottle mounts, they came up when searching twofish. replies appreciated, glad i asked.
Old 01-18-19, 12:18 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
You can get those bikepacking style snack/bottle bags from almost every company now. Not exactly cheap but they seem to strap down pretty tight on mountain bikes.

Bikepacking Stem Bags - BIKEPACKING.com
Old 01-18-19, 12:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

bottle cage mounts inside the triangle...

rather than try to reach for a bottle in technical sections, you bought that bike to ride ?

Twofish .biz lets you fit bottle cages without poking holes in your frame,,

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-18-19 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-18-19, 12:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Fwiw,

Originally Posted by kevrider
no frame tapping, then! i've had those undersaddle tri-bike type mounts on a mtn bike before, the bottles were launched quite nicely.
i'll get a pair of SKS straps with bottle mounts, they came up when searching twofish. replies appreciated, glad i asked.
Using a Blackburn MTB bottle cage they would not auto launch, But as a result you would have to stop to pry the bottle out of the cage..
May as well carry water bottles in your back pack then,

Old 02-16-19, 04:03 PM
kevrider

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
was this post (#17) a technical error or are you asking twice?
Old 02-16-19, 04:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

In that web picture , but not on your own bike , so yours is smaller Did you buy the Quick Cage Adapter: - Twofish Unlimited yet?
Old 02-17-19, 12:49 AM
kevrider

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
there's a topeak versa mount, on the way. i went with this one because its not velcro. i stumbled across this before placing the order, several options available:
Attach Water Bottles, Add Cage Mounts to Your Bike - BIKEPACKING.com
Old 02-17-19, 11:30 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 97 Posts
I’m glad you decided not to drill holes in your bike. I would do that only if I were prepared to add braze-on bottle stops rather than use rivnuts. These are the stops I added to my old Peugeot AO-8. As you see the holes are much stronger because of the brazed-on support.

Old 02-17-19, 09:48 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I got these, made by Elite from Amazon. I think they were $10 or 12. They seem pretty secure. You wrap the plastic tie around the frame, put it thru under the red screws. Tighten the screws and cut off excess strap. They work great. I put tape underneath to protect the paint.

Old 02-17-19, 09:54 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
I’m glad you decided not to drill holes in your bike. I would do that only if I were prepared to add braze-on bottle stops rather than use rivnuts. These are the stops I added to my old Peugeot AO-8. As you see the holes are much stronger because of the brazed-on support.

Absolutely