Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice: 27" rear wheel replacement

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 12:17 PM
dickendd

Bikes: 1991 Cannondale SM700, 1990 Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Hi, I'm new to the forums, have enjoyed seeing and reading about everyone's bikes and adventures, and have a bit of a decision to make. I would like to see if anyone out there has done something similar or would have any advice.

I have a 1990 Schwinn World Sport that I bought used a couple years ago for about $50. I have done nothing to it except ride it for a few hundred miles until I bent the rear wheel trying to avoid hitting a pedestrian. I took it to my LBS and they tried truing it but eventually said it was too far out of true and wouldn't be able to be done. I let it sit in my shed for several months and now want to try to get it back on the road. I have tried adjusting the spokes myself while on the bike but haven't made it any better, or possibly made it worse.

I'm now thinking that I need to just replace the wheel (27x1.25 rear wheel). That then got me thinking of converting to a different wheel size so I could possibly fit larger tires, but that seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth with having to replace brakes too. I really don't want to spend too much on this bike but I would like to get it riding again.

27x1.25 wheels seem to be few and far between used, and even if I did find one (new or used) I will likely have to replace the derailleur as well to match the new cassette (correct me if I'm wrong on that). Finding a new rim and rebuilding the wheel with the old hub/cassette on the new rim seems like it would be expensive.

What are my options? Thank in advance!

-David
Old 02-05-19, 12:42 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5913 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 2,120 Posts
27 inch tires are available as are built up 27 inch wheels. Here's a good one from velomine for $59 plus shipping with a Sun CR 18 rim:

Sun CR18 Road Bike Sealed Bearing 27 REAR Wheel 126mm 5/6/7 S [72758] - $59.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

Alternatively replace both and go with 700c. You will have better tire availability. The difference between 27 inch and 700c is pretty small but you will have to lower the brakes shoes a bit. They *should* reach but they might not. There are solutions to this though.

Sun CR18 700c 5,6,7 Speed Freewheel hubs Road Bike Wheels Silver [73474] - $119.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
Old 02-05-19, 01:00 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 202 Posts
For situations like this, I really like bike co-ops, as they are likely to have a used 27" wheel at a decent price, and could help you transfer the freewheel to the new wheel. If you have no co-ops near you, perhaps place a wanted ad (CL/FBM/etc.) saying you need a decent used 27" rear wheel, can anyone help?
Old 02-05-19, 01:12 PM
dickendd

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanks bikemig and bargainguy. I wish I had a co-op nearby, that would be perfect, but alas I'm stuck with Craigslist and Facebook. I have seen some used 27" wheels out there but they use a separate freewheel, instead of the combination freehub (not sure if this is the correct term?) that my wheel has. So I don't think they will be compatible with my cassette. Is this correct?

Edit: typo fixed

Last edited by dickendd; 02-05-19 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-05-19, 01:36 PM
jpaschall

Bikes: 1982 Trek 613, 1988 Panasonic MC 2500, 1981 Schwinn Super Sport, 1975 Raleigh Super Course MKII, 1985 Miyata 210

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You don't really want to worry about the cassette you have now; from a financial standpoint you are better off sourcing an entire new rear wheel + new cassette/freewheel. The Sun CR-18 posted above is going to be one of your best values in terms of new products, along with a new Sunrace freewheel or the like.
Old 02-05-19, 01:51 PM
dickendd

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Ah I see, thanks. So if I go that route as long as I get a cassette with the same number of rings amd teeth, it should work with my existing derailleur?

Sorry, I'm new to this kind of stuff. Much appreciated
Old 02-05-19, 01:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
rear wheels go out first

In the near by bike shop they get ready to go wheels for repairs. for reasonable prices, from their wholesalers.. drop your LBS..
Old 02-05-19, 09:26 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 946 Posts
Originally Posted by dickendd
Thanks bikemig and bargainguy. I wish I had a co-op nearby, that would be perfect, but alas I'm stuck with Craigslist and Facebook. I have seen some used 27" wheels out there but they use a separate freewheel, instead of the combination freehub (not sure if this is the correct term?) that my wheel has. So I don't think they will be compatible with my cassette. Is this correct?
I didn't understand the difference between a freehub + cassette and a freewheel hub until I took them apart-

A freewheel is a bunch of cogs, all attached together- there's a little ratcheting thing inside- so the ratchet thing is attached to the cogs. The freewheel threads on to the hub as a unit.

A freehub has a big ratcheted barrel on the hub- so the ratcheting thing is attached to the hub. A cassette is a bunch of cogs- some of them are attached, but a bunch are not- and there are spacers that go between the cogs- so a cassette is a loose bunch of cogs.

A freehub has a big barrel on it

A freewheel hub has threads on it.

My *guess* is that if your bike is stock- your World Sport has a freewheel hub- and probably a 6 speed freewheel.

The cool thing about 6 speed, the spacing between the cogs is the same between Suntour and Shimano.

For a long time, I kept all my bikes at 27" wheels- I even changed a bike from 700C to 27" (to use a certain pair of brakes). I changed one bike over to 10 speed and 700C- and I spoiled myself. Now I want to do all my bikes up with 10 speed and the option to use 35mm+ cushy tires.

I bet if you put out a post on CL and ask for a 27" wheel, someone may just give you one- some people just have them hanging in their garage "just in case." Too expensive to ship, but too nice to throw away.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-05-19, 10:23 PM
jpaschall

Bikes: 1982 Trek 613, 1988 Panasonic MC 2500, 1981 Schwinn Super Sport, 1975 Raleigh Super Course MKII, 1985 Miyata 210

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I didn't understand the difference between a freehub + cassette and a freewheel hub until I took them apart-

A freewheel is a bunch of cogs, all attached together- there's a little ratcheting thing inside- so the ratchet thing is attached to the cogs. The freewheel threads on to the hub as a unit.

A freehub has a big ratcheted barrel on the hub- so the ratcheting thing is attached to the hub. A cassette is a bunch of cogs- some of them are attached, but a bunch are not- and there are spacers that go between the cogs- so a cassette is a loose bunch of cogs.

A freehub has a big barrel on it

A freewheel hub has threads on it.

My *guess* is that if your bike is stock- your World Sport has a freewheel hub- and probably a 6 speed freewheel.

The cool thing about 6 speed, the spacing between the cogs is the same between Suntour and Shimano.

For a long time, I kept all my bikes at 27" wheels- I even changed a bike from 700C to 27" (to use a certain pair of brakes). I changed one bike over to 10 speed and 700C- and I spoiled myself. Now I want to do all my bikes up with 10 speed and the option to use 35mm+ cushy tires.

I bet if you put out a post on CL and ask for a 27" wheel, someone may just give you one- some people just have them hanging in their garage "just in case." Too expensive to ship, but too nice to throw away.
1990 World Sport actually came with a 7 speed HG cassette according to the brochure. And for sure I think it’s possible to find one for cheap or free, especially in a big city like Norfolk.
Old 02-06-19, 07:21 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Re-Make the Wheel?

Identify the exact manufacturer and model of your rim (have your LBS help you). Then find a replacement on eBay with the same number of spoke holes. Have the LBS re-string your existing hub onto the new rim. They may re-use the spokes or replace them. Re-mount the existing tire and freewheel(?) and you're on your way. The new wheel will likely be better built than what you would have purchased, as long as your LBS has a good wheel builder on staff.

That's what I would do. Nobody likes mismatched wheels.
Old 02-06-19, 07:35 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5913 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 2,120 Posts

Edit: typo fixed
You also may want to check out the local bike shops and see if they have any old 27 inch wheels lying around. I scored a few really nice wheels lately at $5 each.
Old 02-06-19, 08:19 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,554 Posts
Did the shop give you a price for a new wheel? I’d check with them as they very likely have something on hand and might just swap the cassette and tire for you. I know it is 20 some *UGH* years ago but if you walked in with a busted wheel in your hand and we sold you a new on we seldom charged to swap the FW/cassette.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-06-19, 08:29 AM
dickendd

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanks everyone, jpaschall is correct, it's a 7 speed cassette.

I did check one shop close by that rehabs old bikes, assuming that they would have a plethora of old parts but they didn't have a wheel of the same size and said it would be $90 to order a new built wheel/cassette. I will call around to a few more and see if they have anything, as well as trying a WTB posting on CL.

As far as having matching wheels, while I get the sentiment and agree, I'm more concerned about keeping costs down than continuity with this bike.
Old 02-06-19, 08:39 AM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
We may have some BF members in your immediate area, and as nice as we are online I imagine we are all at least that nice in person.

I bet someone might have or could have an orphan wheel in their stash, or they could help you source a replacement.

I am in rural Illinois and have several members close to me.

It might be worth reaching out to a member in your area that can help guide you through the process and you would learn some valuable information, and skills to boot.

Just a thought.
Old 02-06-19, 09:14 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Identify the exact manufacturer and model of your rim (have your LBS help you). Then find a replacement on eBay with the same number of spoke holes. Have the LBS re-string your existing hub onto the new rim. They may re-use the spokes or replace them. Re-mount the existing tire and freewheel(?) and you're on your way. The new wheel will likely be better built than what you would have purchased, as long as your LBS has a good wheel builder on staff.

That's what I would do. Nobody likes mismatched wheels.
The problem with that is that the shipping for one wheel (or rim) is probably going to be more than the entire bike is worth.

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-06-19, 09:16 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by jpaschall

1990 World Sport actually came with a 7 speed HG cassette according to the brochure. And for sure I think it’s possible to find one for cheap or free, especially in a big city like Norfolk.
Well I’ll be...

Amazing.

People bag on Schwinn for all kinds of stuff- but that’s specced pretty nicely for a bike at that spot in the lineup.

Old 02-06-19, 10:14 AM
dickendd

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I don't have much to compare it to as far as road bikes go but i do enjoy the ride.

Funny you mention people bagging on schwinn even my Dad scoffed at it when I told him I got a schwinn, and I had no idea he had any knowledge of these bikes, but it turns out he had a Raleigh back in the day
Old 02-06-19, 11:45 AM
cannonride15

Bikes: Cannondales: '85 ST400, '86 SR800, '87 SM600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
@dickendd, you're right, Norfolk and the lower peninsula don't seem to have any coops, Richmond has a couple if you google same. Ran across this listing on Richmond craigslist if you're up to a road trip, this guy seems to have several rear wheels. No reason you can't use a 5 or 6 speed freewheel equipped wheel, just make the proper derailleur adjustment, if it doesn't index use friction, it is C&V right?
https://richmond.craigslist.org/bop/...794662344.html
Old 02-06-19, 12:21 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 453 Posts
dickendd, Do you know how to build wheels? It's not that hard but if you don't already know, replacing just the rim is really not an option. You can order a new replacement rear wheel but it will likely cost $50-$100 when you include tax and shipping.

My Advice - Go to your local bike shop. Pay them the $100 asking price and get a new wheel.

Ride the hell out of the bike and enjoy the health benefits from your small investment. Your body and mind will thank you. It might prove to be one of the best investments you ever make.
Old 02-06-19, 12:47 PM
jpaschall

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I agree, $90 out the door is a fine price they’ve quoted you.
Old 02-06-19, 04:28 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 6,623 Times in 3,276 Posts
That's sorta crazy Schwinn continued to put 27" wheels on a bike that also got a cassette.
Old 02-06-19, 05:39 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by surferrosa
that's sorta crazy schwinn continued to put 27" wheels on a bike that also got a cassette.
IKR!?!?!

Seriously... Autocorrect is taking away all the caps- including the one needed for the smiley...

You actually have to type other things... go figure...

Old 02-08-19, 11:05 AM
dickendd

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for all the input everyone. They helped me get a bearing for what would be possible/reasonable to do.

I was actually able to finagle the wheel to where it rolls without rubbing and the brake still works...though it's definitely pretty wobbly. I will continue searching for a used wheel to replace it locally and ride it as is until I find the right one.

​​​​​
Old 02-08-19, 12:33 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 548 Posts
Thanks for all the input everyone. They helped me get a bearing for what would be possible/reasonable to do.

I was actually able to finagle the wheel to where it rolls without rubbing and the brake still works...though it's definitely pretty wobbly. I will continue searching for a used wheel to replace it locally and ride it as is until I find the right one.

​​​​​
Once yard sale season starts picking up, you may be able to find a whole bike for less than the cost of a rear wheel. If it is better than the one you have, and it fits, then keep it. If it doesn't fit but has good components, then use them on the current bike and donate or sell the rest. I have bought more than one $5 to $10 bike, just to get the wheels for other projects.
Old 02-08-19, 02:33 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 284 Posts
I have a spare one of those Sun 27" rear wheels if you're ever in the DC area. And you can get a 7s freewheel that would be pretty much functionally identical to your current 7s freehub for maybe $12.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.