Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why no love for stem shifters?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why no love for stem shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12, 10:51 PM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
Positive reviews on the A050, so it's interesting that the product isn't listed on the Shimano website. Someone above pointed out that same issue with the Tourney derailluer, so I guess these parts are below the 2200/2300 series. Still, they're made by Shimano and can't be too bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Handle.../dp/B001L5Y1GC

Correction. The stem shifters mentioned on the BD "entry level" road bikes are the Shimano Index Easy Stem. The Wellington 1.0 appears to be essentially the same bike as the "Walmart Schwinn" Prelude - (many) steps down on something like the Fastback in its Schwinn Signature form.

Last edited by rudypyatt; 07-21-12 at 11:32 PM. Reason: New info
Old 07-23-12, 07:13 AM
draftmeister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Yes, just like the stem shifters can use a foreward-offset mounting, bar-end shifters similarly benefit from a bit of bar-shortening before installation. I always cut off an inch.

Both of these knee-clearance problems are usually only noticed when riding relatively small bikes, which puts the shifters within the range of motion of the riders knees when riding off of the saddle.
Negative. The bike I was riding was the appropriate size. When I would get up off the saddle and swing the bike side to side going up a hill especially, that's when my knees would upshift for me...not good.
Old 08-01-19, 09:19 AM
jimmy78

Bikes: 1982?Free Spirit FS10/ Sunbird Road Bike; 1995 Raleigh M-80; 2004 Raleigh SC-30; 2007? Scattante R-330; 2012 Fuji Absolute LE 3.0; 2012 Jamis X3 trail, 2002 Huffy Arlington. 2004 Iron Horse Maverick Sport. 1989 Trek 1400 Road Bike. And..more..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hi guys, a newbie here. I got this vintage, I presume it's 70's road bike lie 8 years ago, it is maroon and the seller told me he guessed it was a taiwanese bike? All stickers were removed, there's only a remaining parts from the banner on the bottom of it's frame, three color stripes are white silverish, black and yellow, whit the white stripe outside the others. It might of been cheap for it's heavy and got stem shifters, but all of those parts, shifters, derailleurs are Falcon made, and the wheel rims got engraved "Nakano made in Japan". I got the serial number and all but I foind it hard to find the actual bike's brand.... I'll post pix from it tomorrow. Thanks..BTW, I have had no trouble at all with those stem shifters
Old 08-01-19, 09:35 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4890 Post(s)
Liked 4,057 Times in 2,629 Posts
Originally Posted by SteamingAlong
Personally, I find them unsafe. I've gotten my testicles caught on the levers of stem shifters during a crash. It was an unpleasant experience.
+1 We used to point this out to buyers who appeared they would listen and offer to change them to DTs. (1977) Two years later, at my last race before I stepped away fomr the bike world, an older gentleman came up to me at the hotel I was staying at the night before to tell me he had been castrated by those shifters.

Oops., answered a 7 year old post. But since the info is still relevant and the downside of those shifters is both life-changing and permanent, I won't apologize.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 08-01-19 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-01-19, 09:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by bobjpage
None of the arguments against stem shifters seem convincing.
That's crap. Thus far, no one mentioned the most obvious flaw in the design and placement of stem shifters. Hand position.

That's right, when would an experienced rider place his hands adjacent to the stem of his bike? Answer: Rarely, if ever. Maybe when going into a 3-point support so that one hand can do something like reach around into a pocket or something.

Reaching high toward the center line throws off balance in an awkward way. Better to reach low toward the downtube if you must.

Count my vote squarely against stem location for shifters. And I've ridden all kinds of bikes for over 45 years. STIs are best. No question. They're easiest for non-athletes and neophytes to use competently. They're even better in the hands of a rider who knows what they're about. Bar ends are acceptable on non-racing utility and touring bikes, although they have been used for racing in the past. Downtube shifting is acceptable for vintage rides, but mastering their use requires a higher degree of anticipation, body control, and guts.

Stem shifting turns out to be a poor compromise position between all of the others.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-01-19, 09:55 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked 717 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
I like the big chrome ones with the S on them that the old Schwinns had;

Call me shallow but the aesthitics overcome a lot of friction and wieght.
The bicycling equivalent to a wall-mounted knife switch in a mad scientist's laboratory.

Old 08-01-19, 09:59 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Oops., answered a 7 year old post. But since the info is still relevant and the downside of those shifters is both life-changing and permanent, I won't apologize.
I can't believe that I got so worked up over a 7-year old thread. Some ideas are worth fighting for...
Old 08-01-19, 10:10 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4890 Post(s)
Liked 4,057 Times in 2,629 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
... Downtube shifting is acceptable for vintage rides, but mastering their use requires a higher degree of anticipation, body control, and guts.

Actually the gut can interfere with DT shifting.

And seriously - that body control is the same body control needed to reach for one's DT waterbottle. Good skill to have. (Those who call DT shifters dangerous probably should consider CamelBaks.)

"Downtube shifting is acceptable for vintage rides ..." My custom ti bike, built in '08, was spec'd with a boss for the sweet Superbe topmounted DT shifter (those ones with the box that sat on top of the tube). The builder put on the usual modern threaded stops near the head tube but they have never been used and probably won't be in this lifetime.

Ben
Old 08-01-19, 10:15 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

I remember them. SunTour symmetric shifting. I've had a few Fujis that included these, maybe from the '85/86 era.
Old 08-01-19, 11:30 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4382 Post(s)
Liked 3,054 Times in 1,653 Posts

And seriously - that body control is the same body control needed to reach for one's DT waterbottle. Good skill to have. (Those who call DT shifters dangerous probably should consider CamelBaks.)
Also, those folks should ignore my instructional video on tire wiping.
Old 08-01-19, 01:55 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
back in my 20s when i was first getting into old road bikes, i hated downtube and stem shifters because i'd always hit my knee on them while cranking up a big seattle hill, throwing me into a terrible gear and having to dismount and walk the rest of the way up.

this probably had more to do with me a) not knowing how to ride a road bike and b) riding a bike completely the wrong size, but it's stuck with me. these days i much prefer bar end shifters.

Last edited by t_e_r_r_y; 08-01-19 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 02:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7403 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,507 Posts
Literally castrated by the stem shifters? I'm not doubting you, but it seems like a freak accident. And there are all sorts of freak accidents. If the shifters can do that, couldn't the stem also?

Speaking of freak accidents, have you ever heard of a brake lever entering a thigh? I was there and saw it. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...our-thigh.html

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-01-19, 09:02 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 1,046 Times in 550 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Speaking of freak accidents, have you ever heard of a brake lever entering a thigh? I was there and saw it. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...our-thigh.html
went over the bars on my MTB and the left brake lever went into my left thigh to the femur, it was like a bullet hole.

Not partial to stem shifters but I am having Gugie setup an IGH with a brazed on top tube shifter.
Old 08-01-19, 10:14 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by rudypyatt
Positive reviews on the A050, so it's interesting that the product isn't listed on the Shimano website. Someone above pointed out that same issue with the Tourney derailluer, so I guess these parts are below the 2200/2300 series. Still, they're made by Shimano and can't be too bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Handle.../dp/B001L5Y1GC

Correction. The stem shifters mentioned on the BD "entry level" road bikes are the Shimano Index Easy Stem. The Wellington 1.0 appears to be essentially the same bike as the "Walmart Schwinn" Prelude - (many) steps down on something like the Fastback in its Schwinn Signature form.
All Tourney except A070 meant for STI usage is listed under MTB, whether or not it makes sense to be there are not.
Old 08-01-19, 10:56 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
I am not a fan of stem shifters , not because I think they are inherently dangerous .... I just prefer bar ends or down tube shifters... The funny thing is I am getting where I'm tending to like downtube shifters more and more. It's really a good system and the shifts are usually much better because of the shorter cable runs.

Just my opinion but it seems to be true none the less.
Old 08-01-19, 11:16 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Actually the gut can interfere with DT shifting.

Ben
Significantly more skill than picking up the water bottle. I used to commute on a road bike with downtube friction shifters in rush hour traffic and it frequently made dangerous situations worse. Getting cut up by a car while entering a three lane, 50mph roundabout meant a combination move of hand signal, panic braking, sharp left then right turn while also shifting into the correct gear to rapidly accelerate to avoid getting hit from the next car. At my last count, I only have two hands.

Frankly, I hate them. If a derailleur isn't SIS compatible I check ebay for it's value and then either sell it or chuck it in the bin. I've got no time to coax chains side to side when an eddie stobart wagon is bearing down on me in the rain.
Old 08-01-19, 11:22 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 563 Posts
I remember coming up with the great excuse for getting rid of the stem shifters on my first "real" bike, a 1982 Peugeot PH10S and spend my precious college money to replace them with racier DT shifters....... I was afraid that the levers will stab my knees if I stand on the pedals to climb......