Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Beating the dead horse: “Which tires?”

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Beating the dead horse: “Which tires?”

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 08:58 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 1,133 Times in 661 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
My vote for @deux jambes would be either 700c x 32 Pasela ProTite ...
I recently got a pair of these. They're reasonably priced, comfortable, mounted without a big struggle (on different rims), and while I don't have a ton of miles on them, they were thick enough, and are made of a compound that gave the impression they are pretty flat resistant. Having ridden Grand Bois and Compass tires, I've gotten pretty finnicky, but these, and Col de La Vies (which I don't think are made in 622's) are two Panaracer tires that I can recommend to someone who wants an affordable tire with some durability and a good ride feel.
Old 08-06-19, 09:38 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,499 Posts
Your requirements are rather unusual, which means this is NOT a dead horse. Tires are a topic that interests many of us all the time.

@Fahrenheit531, that's the first defect I've heard of with Paselas. I'm not doubting you for a moment, just saying that it's rare. If you tried one again, I'd bet the same thing won't happen. I think Paselas are pretty good, but other Panaracer-made tires are better. You just have to pay more.

I have Pari Motos on my Lemond now. They are 650b x 38mm. I've never ridden that size before, so I can't do a fair comparison, but yeah, cushy. I ride over a bump and then ask myself if I actually rode over it.

Vittoria makes some terrific tires, but I don't think you can get tan walls. If you lifted this requirement, you could look into Vittoria and also Continental. I have the Continental GP4000S-II on my McLean in 28mm. They measure 29mm. They are incredibly supple. My impression is that Continental tires are a bit more durable than Panaracer, too. This model has been replaced by the GP5000, and it's said to be even suppler. Consider this tire and whatever is analogous from Vittoria.

All the prose we are writing proves this is not a dead horse.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-06-19, 09:46 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5915 Post(s)
Liked 3,568 Times in 2,121 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
snip . . .

All the prose we are writing proves this is not a dead horse.
Perhaps it just proves we like talking about bikes, tires, etc. . . . .

If the OP hadn't said he had to have gumwall tires, I'd have voted for schwable marathon supreme touring tire in 700 x 32c.
Old 08-06-19, 10:55 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,610 Posts
just for reference on cost when bying from a UK bike shop I have saved a lot by buying tyres this way (excuse the fonts....just the way the cut and paste works) and as noted tanwalls is limiting

graveld king sk in 32 $29 https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../11567319.html

these look interesting CHALLENGE PARIS ROUBAIX 300 TPI CLINCHER ROAD TYRE - BLACK/TAN - 700C X 27MM https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../11407803.html

Vittoria Corsa Control G2.0 https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../12070112.html

this is what I run...but may not meet OP needs

Vittoria Corsa G+ 65 for 2 https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../11443944.html

Old 08-07-19, 08:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@squirtdad, if you use shift-control-v, you paste without formatting. If you're on a Mac, it's shift-command-v.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-07-19, 09:22 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
If you don't mind 700x25, check out the Continental Grand Prix Classic. It's a faux-gumwall or skinwall (correction: I just mounted one tire and these appear to be genuine skinwalls, not faux or gumwall -- the tire is translucent through the brown sidewalls). Some owners nitpick the depth and color of the sidewall -- it's dark reddish brown, with some sorta weave. Dunno, don't care, didn't get it for the cosmetics. It was cheaper than the GP4000s and reportedly not prone to the sidewall ruptures reported by too many GP4ks owners.

And it has classic 1980s style tread, sipes on the main contact patch, fine chevron hatches on the shoulders.

At $35 each, not cheap but not as pricey as some. I've had good results with Conti's cheap Ultra Sport II, so the GP Classic seemed like a good bet.

Handmade in Germany, presumably by the churlish looking couple depicted on the box. With those aprons and scowls I trust them to make sturdy, technically correct Teutonic tires.

Ask me in a week if I actually like the tires. Just got 'em Monday afternoon, haven't ridden them yet.

Serious business. Those scowls assure us that we WILL like these tires.

Presumably this guy rode these back to the future.

I barely even look at tires but these look pretty okay.
Thanks. Ive never seen those. Black Chili compound is great.
Old 08-07-19, 05:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Here's a photo of the Continental Grand Prix Classic skinwall tire against a desk lamp. The sidewalls are translucent, very thin.

Continental Grand Prix Classic skinwalls -- translucent against a desk lamp.

After mounting and inflating the tires I noticed I had to top off the tires a few times before riding. Presumably the tires stretched a bit. After about an hour the pressure seemed to stabilize.

I took a 15 mile test ride Tuesday night, riding cautiously since it takes awhile to rub off the mold release and get a feel for the actual tire tread grip characteristics. The grip felt about the same as the Conti Ultra Sport II, which are cheap but good. I haven't had any problems with the Ultra Sport II, including punctures, despite the low price and absence of any special puncture shield.

Continental recommends running the Grand Prix Classics full pressure, around 120 psi. So that's what I did the first ride. Didn't feel any different from the Ultra Sport II or more expensive Schwalbe One V-Guards at max pressure. At full pressure on chipseal they all feel pretty much like riding a buckboard.

I've always been skeptical of claims for "supple" tires and think we're mostly feeling the effects of tire pressure, not sidewall characteristics. If a tire can be safely run around 25% below max pressure, it's probably going to feel "supple". Even my thick wall Michelin Protek Cross Max 700x40 tires feel "supple" at 40-50 psi, rather than the maximum 75 psi recommended for my weight.

The only tire I've tried that felt significantly different at various pressures was the cheap Vittoria Zaffiro wire bead, which has stiff sidewalls and thick-ish tread. At full pressure it felt like wooden blocks sliding on pavement -- reasonably fast but harsh. At lower pressure they were sluggish. I could have tolerated that, but the tread also got cuts and nicks much too easily from ordinary conditions -- lots of chipseal and broken glass. No problems with the Conti Ultra Sport II.

So I may try the GP Classics at around 90 psi rear, 75 psi front, next ride. That's how I usually ride the Ultra Sport II in 700x25, without problems. We'll see how the thinner skinwalls hold up. I know some users reported sidewall failures with the GP 4000s II. If those sidewalls are like the GP Classic I can see how even a tiny nick or abrasion in the sidewall could result in sudden failure.
Old 08-07-19, 06:09 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Minimum pressures are because of liability issues. Not sure why it's being framed as pressure vs supple sidewalls. You can run tires rock hard so they barely deform, or you can run them softer, and obviously they will feel different from rock hard, but not quite in the same way, and not at the same speed.
Old 08-07-19, 11:41 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 453 Posts
I don't know much about bicycles on dirt/gravel roads.

What I do know is I would go straight to Schwalbe's web site to look for tires. They have a fantastically large selection with options for varying degrees of puncture resistance, sidewalls, weights, bead types, tread types,... everything.

What wheel size is the frame designed for 27" or 700C? Is 650B an option for the OP?
Old 08-08-19, 12:12 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuromori
Minimum pressures are because of liability issues. Not sure why it's being framed as pressure vs supple sidewalls. You can run tires rock hard so they barely deform, or you can run them softer, and obviously they will feel different from rock hard, but not quite in the same way, and not at the same speed.
Yeah, I figured I'd try the Conti GP Classics for a few rides until it feels right, subjectively. Then I'll check the pressure and keep it there. It'll probably end up around 80-90 rear, 65-75 front.

My fault for the digression about suppleness, an entirely subjective issue. All Conti tires I've ridden retain reasonably low rolling resistance at lower, more comfortable pressure. Others, notably the Vittoria Zaffiros, are sluggish at a comfortable pressure. Confirmed by the Rolling Resistance site tests.

But in terms of comfort alone, apart from rolling resistance, pretty much any tire can feel less harsh at the right pressure. The tricky bit is rolling resistance and safety - whether the tire will blow off the rim or rupture on impact.
Old 08-08-19, 06:48 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
One tire you might want to consider that I haven't seen mentioned yet: the Soma Supple Vitesse. It comes in two versions, SL (Superlight) and EX (Extra Wear). The EX doesn't weigh much more, and compared to others still isn't really a heavy tire. Made in Japan by Panaracer. Interesting tread pattern.

https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...-clincher-tire
Old 08-08-19, 07:42 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
For that matter, if Conti offered brownwall in the Ultra Sport II lineup I'm betting they'd sell. The US2 is a somewhat lightly regarded tire but very good for only around $15 each. It's lasted longer with fewer punctures and cuts than some pricier tires I've tried that didn't handle any better. No special puncture shield and so far I haven't had even as many puncture flats as I did with "better" tires.
I've switched to these recently, from the conti 2000 touring tires that were on my Miyata 610. Man do they feel nice on the road! I ride in a rural area with decent roads and almost never get flats, so I'm risking it for the lighter weight, low rolling resistance and sporty feel.
Old 08-08-19, 02:23 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 6,631 Times in 3,281 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
this is what I run...

Vittoria Corsa G+ 65 for 2 https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../11443944.html
Those look awesome. And that seems like a great price. The next time I need tires, I'm pullin' the trigger on these.

One of the nice things about flipping a few bikes a year ... I can move used rubber over to a flip and try something new on a keeper.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-08-19, 09:33 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 197 Posts
Thanks everyone! Too many great replies here to respond to individually, but I appreciate each person’s input.

Some, suggested tires I hadn’t considered yet. And some challenged me to think about things a little differently than I had been so far. Still, others confirmed ideas ideas already held.

Taking nearly every tire mentioned in this conversation, I checked specs, descriptions, and reviews out online. After weighing out the pros and cons of each I’ve decided to take the suggestion from those who recommended GravelKing. Went ahead and ordered a pair of the slicks in 32c.

If they’re half as good as the better reviews they’ve received, then they should at least allow me to clock in a few comfy scenic mikes before winter sets in. After that they should continue to serve well for basic duties through the winter. Seems like the tire I need right now, and one I could meet with my wallet for the time being.

Once again, all the food for thought is appreciated all. Thanks!
Old 08-09-19, 05:59 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 172 Posts
I’d like to hear your unbiased review after a few miles. I’ve heard of these tires but never tried them. I’m also in the market for some new/good skinwalls. At present I ride panaracers for skinwall and black Contis when I can stomach the look.
Old 08-09-19, 10:37 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
just for reference on cost when bying from a UK bike shop I have saved a lot by buying tyres this way (excuse the fonts....just the way the cut and paste works) and as noted tanwalls is limiting

graveld king sk in 32 $29 https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../11567319.html

these look interesting CHALLENGE PARIS ROUBAIX 300 TPI CLINCHER ROAD TYRE - BLACK/TAN - 700C X 27MM https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../11407803.html

Vittoria Corsa Control G2.0 https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../12070112.html

this is what I run...but may not meet OP needs

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Those look awesome. And that seems like a great price. The next time I need tires, I'm pullin' the trigger on these.

One of the nice things about flipping a few bikes a year ... I can move used rubber over to a flip and try something new on a keeper.
They do look interesting and inexpensive ($62/pair).

As I am riding on my last pair of Challenge Paris-Roubaix, perhaps I should buy a pair for when I need them. I've been riding on a couple pairs of these Challenge tires in black/tan for several years. They have been very nice - very tubular in their feel but easy to repair flats. They inspire confidence in high speed, off-camber, 180 degree turns. Even though the black top is rough, there is not the slightest hint the tires will chatter or let go. Their performance in turns is really their best characteristic - very nice!

Last edited by Bad Lag; 08-09-19 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-09-19, 12:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@deux jambes, when you're ready, please do write back. A friend of mine whose opinion I respect swears by Gravel Kings. He said lighter tires didn't work well for him.

And when you write, just for fun, see if you can emulate @SquidPuppet's style in this review. The thread is hilarious, and it is worth reading every one of his posts in it.

Old 08-09-19, 04:37 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
^ That thread is a delight every time I revisit it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-09-19, 08:23 PM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
+1 on the Soma Supple Vitesse tires. I have some 42s on my Speedy Devil.
Old 08-10-19, 02:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
^ That thread is a delight every time I revisit it.
It's one of the re-readable-est threads on BF.