Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gold "Cherry" center pull brakes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 05:09 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts

Found them today at my secret stash LBS. Anyone know anything about 'em? I don't!

You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 06-10-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-10-10, 08:21 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

little BUMP.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 06-10-10, 08:37 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 236 Posts
Nice! I think maybe they are new-ish and for the "custom" crowd or a one-off for a project of some kind...anyway put em' on that sky-blue Madison and go scare all of the hipsters at Johhny-Brendas.....
Old 06-10-10, 08:42 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Noooooooo thank you! (on both counts!) LOL! The old guy I got them from took them of a shelf out of what he said was a "thirty year old" box that fell apart the moment he touched it, maybe he set it up....maybe not. I know I got them home and cleaned a little dust from them and that was all. The bolts are stamped "Cherry" and the brake pads have "Cherry Japan" molded into them.

Last edited by ilikebikes; 06-10-10 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-10-10, 09:03 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked 3,090 Times in 1,574 Posts
I seem to recall lusting for a Cherry something or other brake in the old days when I was still riding my royce union

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 06-10-10 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling never blog after a few sidecars
Old 06-10-10, 09:05 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 2,129 Posts
Looks like a set of gold-anodized, Dia-Compe knockoffs. Very pretty.

The "Cherry" stamped bolts are a surprisingly nice touch for a set of older Japanese brakes. I'd probably buy them off of you, if I only had something to mount them on.

-Kurt

Old 06-10-10, 09:42 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I remember Consumer Reports gave Cherry brakes a bad rap back in the day because they were "grabby" and capable of sending the rider for a header. To me, that sounds like a good thing, i.e. to have that much stopping power available; seems like it shouldn't take too much loaf to modulate it as needed; perhaps compared to all the crappy brakes they were also testing, the CR test riders were just too ham-fisted to appreciate a decent set of brakes.
Old 06-10-10, 10:03 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Originally Posted by old's'cool
I remember Consumer Reports gave Cherry brakes a bad rap back in the day because they were "grabby" and capable of sending the rider for a header. To me, that sounds like a good thing, i.e. to have that much stopping power available; seems like it shouldn't take too much loaf to modulate it as needed; perhaps compared to all the crappy brakes they were also testing, the CR test riders were just too ham-fisted to appreciate a decent set of brakes.

Thats what the old guy said! He told me "they were looked down on 'cause they worked to good." His words exactly. I was kinda confused but there you go!
Old 06-10-10, 10:11 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Those are cool, nice grab.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 06-10-10, 10:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Quoted: 7413 Post(s)
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,523 Posts
I remember Cherry brakes. They were CRAPOLA. Don't be fooled at how they look like well-known brakes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-10-10, 10:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
when CR started doing bike testing, I finally realized their testing was just about worthless. Just as one example, they would do roll-down brake testing. They would rate one brand of bike superior to another even though the brakes/rims were the same.

However, I vaguely remember disliking the few sets of Cherry brakes I worked on.
Old 06-10-10, 10:22 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 2,129 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes
Thats what the old guy said! He told me "they were looked down on 'cause they worked to good." His words exactly. I was kinda confused but there you go!
He's talking about the Weinmann versions.

Originally Posted by noglider
I remember Cherry brakes. They were CRAPOLA. Don't be fooled at how they look like well-known brakes.
What did you have? Sidepulls or centerpulls? Near as I can figure it, these centerpulls can't be that bad, and if they are, swapping Weinmann bushings and hardware on them should solve pivot-area flex issues. Alternately, Dia-Compe hardware - if the Weinmann stuff won't fit.

-Kurt

Old 06-10-10, 10:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Quoted: 7413 Post(s)
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,523 Posts
I don't remember what Cherry brakes they were. This was not as an owner but as a mechanic working in a bike shop.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-10-10, 11:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
I have no idea if I have worked on this particular variety of Cherry brakes either, but I definitely saw Cherry centerpulls. I remembered the pivot bolts having markings on them.
Old 06-11-10, 09:04 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Originally Posted by cudak888
He's talking about the Weinmann versions.

-Kurt

No, he mentioned that he also has a box of the Weinmann type sitting around somewhere, the old guy (70 something) knows his stuff.

Last edited by ilikebikes; 06-11-10 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-23-19, 02:43 PM
backmd

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cherry center pull brakes on Canadian CCM Concordes

Originally Posted by ilikebikes
No, he mentioned that he also has a box of the Weinmann type sitting around somewhere, the old guy (70 something) knows his stuff.
I upgraded four Cherry centerpull brakes on a pair of his and hers CCM Concorde bikes. I just liked the Weinmann 750 and Weinmann 500s better and had more experience with them. I think the Kool Stop pads matter more than the brand of brake caliper.
Old 08-23-19, 04:07 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Quoted: 4577 Post(s)
Liked 6,562 Times in 3,768 Posts
Originally Posted by backmd
I upgraded four Cherry centerpull brakes on a pair of his and hers CCM Concorde bikes. I just liked the Weinmann 750 and Weinmann 500s better and had more experience with them. I think the Kool Stop pads matter more than the brand of brake caliper.
No worries, but that was an almost 10 year old zombie thread, just sayin.
Old 08-23-19, 04:45 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,049 Times in 1,884 Posts
I can corroborate that entry level CCM models such as the Targa and Concorde used Cherry brakes in the mid-1970s. We thought the Weinmann's that came of the Mistrals and Silver Ghosts were better too. Cherry also made brakesets under the Buffalo brand. One interesting piece of trivia is that during the pre-boom period, Cherry were using the "Ace of Clubs" as a trademark symbol, before Colnago.
Old 08-26-19, 07:41 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I can corroborate that entry level CCM models such as the Targa and Concorde used Cherry brakes in the mid-1970s. We thought the Weinmann's that came of the Mistrals and Silver Ghosts were better too. Cherry also made brakesets under the Buffalo brand. One interesting piece of trivia is that during the pre-boom period, Cherry were using the "Ace of Clubs" as a trademark symbol, before Colnago.
Haha! Damn! This was a long time ago! Believe it or not I still have the cherry center pulls on my Schwinn World Voyageur! 😁