Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Touring with a freewheel & broken spokes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Touring with a freewheel & broken spokes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 04:30 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The Pocket Pro was a Victory-or-Death tool--it would often get the freewheel off, but would nearly as often break itself in half while trying. The "horns" were oddly shaped and didn't really grip anything very well. I think that was a limitation of the casting process.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 08-30-19, 04:40 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Another option is to either lace the Drive-Side with Z-Bend spokes, or at least carry some as spares (although it might be a hassle to remove broken standard J-Bend spokes depending on how they break).

https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/z-spokes/

I haven't tried it myself. Perhaps one would need to insert the replacement spoke from the middle of the hub, no matter whether it is replacing an inbound or outbound spoke.
I've never been able to make a Fiberfix spoke work, either. But I imagine that it can be done.

I have been told (by a very experienced bike tourist) that you can take a regular spoke and file off the head on the bottom and sides, just leaving a bit on top so that it has a sort of hook- or J-shape when viewed from the side. He said you can hook it into the hole in the hub without removing the freewheel or cassette, and it will remain in place when tensioned. I keep meaning to try it, but haven't yet. It sounds like it might work if it's possible to completely remove the broken spoke--which of course isn't always the case.

--Ogden Nash
Old 08-30-19, 08:29 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 676 Posts
I have seen a plier tool that makes J bends out of spokes with the head cut off. I think it was Hozan that made it.

Drive side pulling spokes are the ones that most commonly break. In a 36 h wheel, that means 9 spokes carry the load. I don't have quantitative data to support this - just observation.

Assuming you could get the old spoke out, the J bend repair spoke could be carried along and provide a viable way perform a field repair on a wheel with a broken spoke.

I'm still of the opinion that a bulletproof wheel can be built by an experienced builder that will be absolutely reliable for almost any use. Hit a pothole carrying 40 Lb of loaded panniers, sure. But good wheel building "best practices" can obviate most failures. Of course, factory built wheels that are 20+ years old are going to see some spoke failures when used for loaded touring

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 08-30-19, 09:11 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
I'm still of the opinion that a bulletproof wheel can be built by an experienced builder that will be absolutely reliable for almost any use. Hit a pothole carrying 40 Lb of loaded panniers, sure. But good wheel building "best practices" can obviate most failures.
Hear, hear!
@deux jambes, if you're concerned at all, maybe now is the time to have a good new rear wheel built. A bunch of my touring friends have gone to 40 spoke rear wheels. I know, it's 2019 and we shouldn't "need" so many spokes, but that's what's working for them. 40 good butted spokes on a stout rim, stress-relieved well...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-30-19, 09:38 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
The Pocket Pro was a Victory-or-Death tool--it would often get the freewheel off, but would nearly as often break itself in half while trying. The "horns" were oddly shaped and didn't really grip anything very well. I think that was a limitation of the casting process.
I never had to use my old Pocket Pro in the field, but I did test it once while changing out a freewheel in the shop. It was a royal pain in the arse. They were curved with the idea you'd use it against your handlebars or other curved bike surface for leverage, but it didn't really make for a secure hold. Your updated version seems far superior.
Old 08-30-19, 10:33 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18425 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
I've never been able to make a Fiberfix spoke work, either. But I imagine that it can be done.

I have been told (by a very experienced bike tourist) that you can take a regular spoke and file off the head on the bottom and sides, just leaving a bit on top so that it has a sort of hook- or J-shape when viewed from the side. He said you can hook it into the hole in the hub without removing the freewheel or cassette, and it will remain in place when tensioned. I keep meaning to try it, but haven't yet. It sounds like it might work if it's possible to completely remove the broken spoke--which of course isn't always the case.
How big are the spoke holes?

I wonder if one could stably make say a 2.3mm ball on the end of a 2.0mm spoke. Of course, it wouldn't take much... just a tiny "hook", as anything not actually in contact with the hub would be mostly irrelevant.
Old 08-30-19, 11:28 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked 4,752 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Hear, hear!
@deux jambes, if you're concerned at all, maybe now is the time to have a good new rear wheel built. A bunch of my touring friends have gone to 40 spoke rear wheels. I know, it's 2019 and we shouldn't "need" so many spokes, but that's what's working for them. 40 good butted spokes on a stout rim, stress-relieved well...
If I may translate that into a Top Tip: keep a look out in the local classifieds for touring wheels.

Over the past two years or so, I've found two excellent touring wheelsets with Maxi-car hubs and Mavic Module 4 rims (both 40H rear, 36H front). One set was €110, the other €200. Both came with a free touring bike.

The latest even came with a frame in my size:

Last edited by non-fixie; 08-30-19 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 08-31-19, 08:56 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1303 Post(s)
Quoted: 4703 Post(s)
Liked 5,865 Times in 2,307 Posts
On the other end of the spectrum, I built up a touring wheel for my Grander Sportier using the Velo Orange hub that doesn't require any tools to diassemble.

https://vimeo.com/23857739
Old 08-31-19, 09:45 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have seen a plier tool that makes J bends out of spokes with the head cut off. I think it was Hozan that made it.

Drive side pulling spokes are the ones that most commonly break. In a 36 h wheel, that means 9 spokes carry the load. I don't have quantitative data to support this - just observation.

Assuming you could get the old spoke out, the J bend repair spoke could be carried along and provide a viable way perform a field repair on a wheel with a broken spoke.

I'm still of the opinion that a bulletproof wheel can be built by an experienced builder that will be absolutely reliable for almost any use. Hit a pothole carrying 40 Lb of loaded panniers, sure. But good wheel building "best practices" can obviate most failures. Of course, factory built wheels that are 20+ years old are going to see some spoke failures when used for loaded touring

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Yes, my wheel was pushing 40, and had those damaged outside spokes to boot. The damage had been hidden by an after-the-fact spoke protector.

Old 08-31-19, 09:48 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
I never had to use my old Pocket Pro in the field, but I did test it once while changing out a freewheel in the shop. It was a royal pain in the arse. They were curved with the idea you'd use it against your handlebars or other curved bike surface for leverage, but it didn't really make for a secure hold. Your updated version seems far superior.
I carried a tool around, in my toolbox, for years, new in package, and finally threw it out because I didn't know what it did. It was something like this. It fixed itself to the chainstay and the freewheel, and released it with a forward pedal stroke(I later learned).

Old 09-01-19, 07:11 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 185 Posts
1930s lacing

B4 keyhole eyelets (1936?) Dynohubs meant the low side used twisted spokes rather than button ended.

Even the high side used curled ends despite it being unnecessary. A long spare can be carried and simply cut to size.
Old 09-01-19, 07:40 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Here is an article from Wheel Fanatyk in which they discuss Z-bend spokes and then try to find a modern available tool that is up to the challenge of creating Z-bends in spokes.
Wheel fanatyk article link

The tool they found to work is the Great Planes Precision Z-Bend Pliers, originally made to put Z-bends in model airplane control rods. WF used to sell the tool but no longer does. Luckily,
it is still available on Amazon.

Could just carry one of these pliers around, along with a few extra long spoke "blanks" with the possibility of buying more if you ran out, but as others have mentioned it doesn't fix the problem you have if you can't get the old broken spoke head out of the hub.
Old 09-02-19, 02:24 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Shaping the Z

I just twist curly ends with some pliers in a vise - two pair of pliers in a pinch will work. Obviously not on the road but twist the correct length before you go. As for the broken spoke, you can always get it out but you have to monster it- for me the ability to get a new one in was the deal-breaker. Needless to say with a Dynohub it was near impossible without curly spokes either in a workshop or on the Roadside.
Old 09-02-19, 06:58 AM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by Johno59
...As for the broken spoke, you can always get it out but you have to monster it...
This sounds pretty severe. Not quite sure what it means, though.

--Ogden Nash
Old 09-02-19, 01:16 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
...and before Jon's tool, there was a similar tool that can still be found on ebay that worked using fence posts or other convenient stationary objects. .
Are you thinking of the old school Pocket Vice? I have one and some 1981 and 1982 BICYCLING magazines. One of the magazines has an ad for the Pocket vice in it and states that it can be use with the bicycle stem. I wonder if it'd mar the stem? Here're some images of the Pocket Vice.

Cheers
Old 09-02-19, 01:37 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I used my Pocket Vice a few years back to remove a REALLY stuck freewheel from a friend'd wheel. He was amazed at how much force it took. I Guess O"m lucky with my Pocket Vice.

Cheers
Old 09-02-19, 03:26 PM
phillman5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
if I was going to do a long tour (like I did in 2009) I'd suggest a 130mm over locknut (OLD) rear wheel, 36h Phil hub, DT 14g straight guage spokes on the drive side, and a 7 speed FW, DA MF 7400 if you can find one.
Hmmm, never thought about touring, I just gave my 36 hole Phil Wood hubs to a bike shop hat makes up bikes for poor/homeless etc. I am not sure if it would have taken a 7 speed FW, probably should have, I only had a six on it. But they are plentiful on e-bay for a song, that why I just gave them away.
Old 09-02-19, 03:31 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
I’m guessing most prefer a cassette, but those of you who ride long distances away from home, or bike shops, and perhaps for more than a day or two...
Please tell me. How do you deal with the misfortune of a broken drive side rear spoke on the road? I can’t imagine many folks carrying a heavy crescent wrench that’s big enough to turn a freewheel removal tool.
The question is coming up for me as a touring build gets closer to competition & the plan to ride out of town for camping draws nearer. I’d like to be best prepared for the chance of any rear drive side spoke breakage up the road.
I’ll add that in my case, I’m a light weight rider, and the bike will be carrying its load up front. Mostly paved road too. So maybe just true up as best as possible and rely on the remaining 35 spokes to do their job?
My bother and I rode from Tucson to Ludington Mi (we crossed the pond via a ferry after visiting several breweries in Milwaukee) in 1975. Since our freewheels needed different removal tools we took one of each. We DID have one drive side spoke break but luckily there was a farm near by and the farmer let use use his bench mounted vice. Problem solved.
Old 09-03-19, 02:52 AM
Johno59

Monster it

This sounds pretty severe. Not quite sure what it means, though.
Monster it means bend, twist, punch, pull and swear aloud and you'll get the broken spoke out. As regards removing the freewheel on the Roadside - it may help to remove the FW before your journey begins, regrease it and reinstall. I have had to cut across rear freewheels/sprockets with a hacksaw coz they'd been on for years, even decades and no amount of force could remove them.
Old 09-03-19, 05:25 AM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by Johno59
Monster it means bend, twist, punch, pull and swear aloud and you'll get the broken spoke out. As regards removing the freewheel on the Roadside - it may help to remove the FW before your journey begins, regrease it and reinstall. I have had to cut across rear freewheels/sprockets with a hacksaw coz they'd been on for years, even decades and no amount of force could remove them.
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I need to take a remedial colloquialism class.

And you're right, it's a good idea to remove, grease, and reinstall a freewheel before going on a tour. I think that's mentioned in the directions for using the Freewheel Key. If it's not, it should be. I ought to look.

--Ogden Nash
Old 09-03-19, 07:39 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Also called "Beast mode."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-03-19, 11:04 AM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
A bikeforums member @jonwvara makes a tool that inserts into road sign posts to give you leverage to unscrew your freewheel:

New! The Freewheel Key
My collection of Regina cogs is going to outlive me. So I will continue to ride my old Letour
with 6-speed freewells. Have yet to break a spoke, but it's just a matter of time. Great tool to have.
Old 09-03-19, 11:27 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4855 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,593 Posts
I'd go with a 36 spoke wheel, X3 or 4, with right-side spokes one gauge heavier than the rest and carry a FW tool. Build the wheel well. Use a proven hub. Shimano, Phi Wood or the like. Grease the hub threads well with lots quality (Phil Wood or equiv.) grease. If you are really paranoid, bring the smallest crescent wrench that will open to fit the FW tool. You will need to find a pipe and your wrench will be trash after but it will work.

I cannot claim long tours, just a few solo tours (Boston to Detroit, Minneapolis to Saginaw Michigan) but I did those in the '70s long before cassettes. Never had an issue with spokes.

If you mix Italian and Japanese hubs and freewheels, ride that combo first, then take off the FW, re-grease and re-install BEFORE you leave. Italian threads were (are?) cut and Japanese threads were and are rolled, The first time you mix them, you are forcing the peaks of the Italian threads down to the rolled rounds of the Japanese threads. It's a hard install and even harder removal. You want full shop tools that first time. After that, your Italian threads are "rolled" and you won't have further issues. (I've put many SunTour FWs on Campagnolo hubs.)

Ben