Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Explain Like I'm 5: Don't I need a compression plug to oppose the stem bolt forces?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Explain Like I'm 5: Don't I need a compression plug to oppose the stem bolt forces?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 07:32 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Are we talking about road bikes here, or BMX?
If you think about it, road bikes have as much if not more leverage over the top of the steerer than a BMX, particularly when landing. This is why I consider 31.8 bars to be an overdue development - so many old-school bar/stem interfaces were marginal at best, when it came to landing a bunny hop.
Old 10-06-19, 10:40 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
So guys, I know this thread is dead (and should stay dead), but I'm flipping my stem today to raise my bars a little & I thought I'd share a few pictures showing my TCR's factory compression plug.

The top of the bolt & the nut at the bottom tightens the plug from the bottom compresses the compression plug (see last picture), stretching the plug to the fork tube wall. It is covering all the length of the stem.

I know, I should probably remove one of the stem spacer to reduce the gap between my fork tube & top of stem. It was cut too short in my opinion.

Last edited by eduskator; 10-06-19 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-06-19, 11:18 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
So guys, I know this thread is dead (and should stay dead), but I'm flipping my stem today to raise my bars a little & I thought I'd share a few pictures showing my TCR's factory compression plug.

The top of the bolt & the nut at the bottom tightens the plug from the bottom compresses the compression plug (see last picture), stretching the plug to the fork tube wall. It is covering all the length of the stem.

I know, I should probably remove one of the stem spacer to reduce the gap between my fork tube & top of stem. It was cut too short in my opinion.

Yikes. I'll take a star nut & the stem clamped fully on the steerer tube over that.
Old 10-06-19, 12:39 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I wouldn't be sure that your TCR steerer has been cut at all. You have a lot of spacers there.
My TCR-SL frame actually came with a light aluminium compression plug that could be glued in to replace the more adjustable, but heavy wedge arrangement.
Old 10-06-19, 01:23 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Dean V
I wouldn't be sure that your TCR steerer has been cut at all. You have a lot of spacers there.
My TCR-SL frame actually came with a light aluminium compression plug that could be glued in to replace the more adjustable, but heavy wedge arrangement.
This is what I was thinking as well shortly after posting. There is indeed a good amount of spacers.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 10-06-19, 01:58 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Yikes. I'll take a star nut & the stem clamped fully on the steerer tube over that.
Seems like Giant's engineers should have asked for your opinion before building one of the most reliable & used bike on the market. It's not like they sell over 5 million bikes each year.

I'll tell them to call you whenever they need advice.
Old 10-06-19, 03:17 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Seems like Giant's engineers should have asked for your opinion before building one of the most reliable & used bike on the market. It's not like they sell over 5 million bikes each year.

I'll tell them to call you whenever they need advice.

I was yikes-ing that part of the stem is clamping air instead of the steerer tube. I doubt that Giant's engineers would approve of that set up.
Old 10-06-19, 03:56 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by woodcraft
I was yikes-ing that part of the stem is clamping air instead of the steerer tube. I doubt that Giant's engineers would approve of that set up.
The stem bolt is actually just a little under the top end of the steerer tube. I was also a concerned, but I measured it & it’s OK.
Old 06-23-21, 05:54 PM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
It seems this compression plug-opposing force-carbon failure jibber jabber is just one more myth being passed around by the uninformed.

Try to find a statement from a manufacturer that specifies using one of these full length compression plugs. Go ahead. I've searched for years for such a statement and have come up empty handed.

If the manufacturers aren't publicizing compression plug warnings, a safe conclusion is that it's a made up myth.
I'm not trying to contradict you personally, but I've always shied away from dropping my bars on my bikes because the Cannondale Owner's Manual actually does specify that (with carbon forks) only their compression assembly is designed to work. I've only very recently been revisiting this topic because I'm now interested in seeing how I like it if I drop the bars on my bikes.

I'm guessing that it would be implied that if you were to drop the bars then you might need to find an alternative, but it appears that they advise against doing so. It looks like they provide instruction for cutting the forks, however. So, you might be correct that they don't recommend a full length compression plug per se.

Old 06-25-21, 08:59 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
No actual data here, however, this was a commonly accepted understanding of the function of the top cap by assemblers.

From handling carbon warranties, in my experience, cracking/splitting/delamination at the top edge of the steerer was responsible for a statistically significant number of failures/claims.

As to the compression plug supporting the steerer and protecting it from the clamping forces, assembly factories (who are guided by the brand they are assembling) also operate on the assumption that it should support the steerer. Whether the person from the brand ACTUALLY checks stuff like this in detail (and not just the paint...) will vary from brand to brand and year to year.

From the warranty side, it wasn't only the clamping forces that contributed to the failures; It was a factor but not the only one.

If you think about all the pieces involved, you actually have a series of points where metal objects come in direct contact with the carbon steerer; There are bearings, the edge of races, compression plugs, the top and bottom edges of the stem, and any top caps and spacers. All of those things flex differently and respond differently to compression and torsional loads.

My point is that sometimes I would see a series of rings on a steerer, not always visible to the naked eye. If there are too many of those or some that are more significant than others that are dealing with opposing forces, it can be enough to cause catastrophic failure in the carbon.

By choosing products that are designed to reduce the chance of 'stress risers' and choosing a compression plug that doesn't add to the potential problem, you can mitigate significant factors that could possibly lead to failure. It's a best practices situation.

Again, no hard data just my opinion based on what I've seen.

Likes For Bob Dopolina:
Old 06-25-21, 09:08 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfwd01
I'm not trying to contradict you personally, but I've always shied away from dropping my bars on my bikes because the Cannondale Owner's Manual actually does specify that (with carbon forks) only their compression assembly is designed to work. I've only very recently been revisiting this topic because I'm now interested in seeing how I like it if I drop the bars on my bikes.

I'm guessing that it would be implied that if you were to drop the bars then you might need to find an alternative, but it appears that they advise against doing so. It looks like they provide instruction for cutting the forks, however. So, you might be correct that they don't recommend a full length compression plug per se.
I think you may be drawing the wrong conclusion here. On page 94, in the second section, it seems to imply that they want you to use a compression plug (in a style they like so they provide one) but they are most concerned about end users NOT putting anything in the steerer that has a SHARP EDGE. All the things listed will bite into the inside of the carbon steerer. It seems like this is their biggest concern.

Likes For Bob Dopolina: