Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Odd parts on stainless MCB Crescent Mark XX

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 05:06 PM
KillerBeagle
Rabid Member

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I bought a used Crescent 10-speed in 1975 and raced it for a few years. The patent on the rear derailleur is 1973 so I'm guessing that was the production year. At the time I was a poor college student and the bike was a good deal, so I didn't question the parts or even understand the heritage. Now I'm trying to restore it to riding condition and notice some parts that don't make sense compared to the sales flyers.

The stem and bars are Cinelli - no big deal, I think I may have changed them to fit me, and they are at least from the correct period. Likewise the rims are gold anodized Nisi, which came with the bike when I got it, but not surprising. Avocet saddle was my choice.

Nuovo Record: front and rear derailleurs, brakes and levers, headset, Swiss bottom bracket, pedals, hubs, seatpost

The things that are bothering me are the crankset and seatpost binder bolt. The bolt is just plain ugly, and I can't imagine that is an original. Is there a Campy bolt set that will fit?

The most unusual thing is the Gran Sport 3-arm crankset with steel crank arms. I have seen a number of 3-arm Gran Sports with alloy arms, but this one seems to be quite rare. Even with the rarity, I'm really tempted to replace it with a Nuovo Record crankset of the proper age, because I think it's a work of art. Could this Gran Sport set possibly have come from the factory build?

I'll post pictures of the whole bike when I get it further cleaned up. Right now it's a little embarassing...
Old 11-10-19, 05:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4564 Post(s)
Liked 6,544 Times in 3,753 Posts
@KillerBeagle

Very cool, like it.

I think that SP binder bolt may be original or it may have had a Campy that broke and was replaced, the one that's there with the tabbed end and extended nut with washer are probably correct, I would take them out and clean them up with a wire wheel.

The crank could be original too, I like these a lot, Raleigh used them on the Competition's and they have a great look IMO.

I used one on my 58 Paramount for a steel cottered place holder before I got a Stronglight Competition.

I had Magistroni chain rings on it and got plenty of thumbs up.

Last edited by merziac; 11-10-19 at 05:38 PM.