Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Has anyone run a GRX chainset in Ultegra drivetrain?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-19, 11:52 AM
tomgdaly
The Crank

Bikes: I think it's six at the moment, ranging from a Scott Foil to a 1979 TI Raleigh Team Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Has anyone run a GRX chainset in an Ultegra drivetrain? I've read this in another forum but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually tried it.

"Well the q-factor of the cranks differs by 5mm, 2.5mm each side. It's true that chainline is different by 2.5, and also derailleur of GRX takes this into account. GRX derailleurs are made for 46-50 big ring, Ultegra for 50 big ring. 48 big ring could still work okay with Ultegra derailleur, 46 big ring not so much. So depends which 2x GRX chainset you opt for. Finally there are shims to move a derailleur outward, so this could help with the 2.5mm. I think it's a good option if you were planning to go for a 48 big ring. For 46 big ring I would replace the front derailleur."
Old 11-28-19, 12:12 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Yes. I have been using a GRX 46/30T crankset since the week they came out. I am doing so with an Ultegra 6800 Di2 drivetrain with a band-clamp front derailleur. I had to crank the H-limit screw all the way out (which I didn't have to do for my White Industries 46/30T crank, BTW.) It works great in my case.

Before I installed the GRX 46/30T crankset, I had used a White Industries 46/30T crankset for about three years, and that too works fine with the Ultegra front derailleur.

The 46T ring is simply not an issue in my experience; the quoted text in your post is the first I have ever even heard it suggested.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 11-28-19 at 12:34 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-28-19, 01:20 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 218 Posts
If you like or if you have issues, you can get the matching GRX front DR to go with the crank. Is compatible with road brifters. Its reasonably priced.