Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is a professionally repaired carbon frame sellable?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is a professionally repaired carbon frame sellable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-19, 05:42 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 378 Posts
I use my damaged frame as a truing stand. But reading this thread makes me think it could easily be repaired, except that I stripped it of the BB and headset. Hmmm, that could be N+1.
Old 12-20-19, 04:18 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Get it repaired, throw some lower end parts on it and throw it on your trainer as your Zwift only bike. It'll save some wear and tear on the bike you ride on the actual road and you won't notice the effects of slightly decreased quality in shifting because you're just using it on the trainer.
This is a good idea except for much less then the cost of repair, you can find a used frame and do the same thing. My trainer bike frame cost around $80 bucks with headset, fork and bb.
Old 12-20-19, 04:22 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If this sums up your main concern, I'd just sell it as-is and let the buyer figure it out. I'm sure that you could reference previous sales on ebay to get a feel for the as-is value.
I think this is the best choice if it’s going to be sold. It removes the liability issue from you. The repair place will most likely only honor a warranty to the original customer and if tithe new owner crashes and blames it on the repair, you know where I am heading with this.
Old 12-21-19, 03:07 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I use my damaged frame as a truing stand. But reading this thread makes me think it could easily be repaired, except that I stripped it of the BB and headset. Hmmm, that could be N+1.
Although on second thought maybe not. Not only was the frame stripped of BB and Headset, the group that was on that bike is still on my current bike, so I'd be starting over with parts. It doesn't seem worth it, I'd rather get something completely new instead.
Old 12-21-19, 01:26 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
There is a market for anything.. and just about anything is repairable. I would think about having it repaired ....depending on the cost and reputation of the repair facility,
If they are experts and give their highest confidence in the repair ( guarantee ?) I would add this to the sales pitch or better : keep it as a second bike,
store it in Switzerland, or somewhere different from where you live with great riding & go there and ride it once a year.
If it's not THAT nice of a frame : paint it ca-ca brown & use it as a street-parked-lock-up bike-commuter, that way you can train and do errands on a bike identical to your choice ride.

Old 12-21-19, 07:26 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
What is this, Pawn Stars?

Sell the broken frame as-is and absolve yourself of any liability for a repair.
Old 12-21-19, 07:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Last month, I received a crash replacement carbon frameset and moved all the components over from my damaged frame. Damage was limited to the left seat stay and dropout. To my surprise, the manufacturer did not require return of the damaged frame. I'm contemplating having it repaired, but I don't have a use for it after it is done. If I have it repaired, I will use one of the reputable professional companies to do it.

But here's the question: Once I've repaired it, if I'm not going to use it, does the frame have any value? Is it still sellable for a decent price? It was originally a $2,900 frame. I hate to just trash it, but I don't want to pay $500 for repairs only to find it's worth $500 or less after the repair. I would make full disclosure, including photos, to any buyer. What do you think? Is repair, at this point, a waste of money and effort?

I don't have the exact answer to this question, but what I found with a warranty replacement frame (i.e., a brand new carbon mountain bike frame -- Canyon Spectral 8) was that no one was interested in paying anything remotely approaching its worth. I suspect it is the inability to transfer a warranty; that alone is probably worth 1/3 of the price of the frame.

So -- brief answer -- it is a losing proposition. Unless it is your Open Wi.de.

Edit: After reading Psimet's post, I suggest fixing it up and donating it to someone needy (i.e., someone who would not otherwise be able to afford it), and declare the $500 (or whatever is the repair cost) as the value for a charitable contribution.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 12-21-19 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-21-19, 07:51 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
In this case whether or not you have the actual right to re-sell it I would argue that ethically you do not. The replacement frame from the company wasn’t free. When they gave it to you morally the old one is now theirs. Instead of paying to ship it back most companies rely on the local shop handling the warranty to destroy the frame. Guessing it was a smaller company or you somehow acted as your own dealer.
If they took the old frame back and sent out a replacement, would there be a similar objection? (In my case, we migrated the parts over to a new, different, aluminum frame, mainly so the kid could keep riding.)
Old 12-21-19, 08:00 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Even if you sell it "as is no warranty" If something unrelated on the frame goes wrong, some people will sue you anyway. Imagine if someone got hurt badly. You would probably go to court. All kinds of jerks in this world. I would break it so it could not be ridden, Maybe cut in in half and smash it with a hammer. then put it in the trash at different times, Even if they say they would never sue you, and it is wrong or immoral you could still get sued and end up in court.

Or as suggested use it as a second bike, Or a bike for the trainer. Get the frame to a professional for a quote before deciding anything.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 12-21-19, 08:20 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
All kinds of jerks in this world.
Even if you are not a jerk, your insurance company will insist upon being one on your behalf.

That's another good reason to donate it to a charity like a bike co-op.
Old 12-21-19, 08:28 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by wgscott
Even if you are not a jerk, your insurance company will insist upon being one on your behalf.

That's another good reason to donate it to a charity like a bike co-op.
Good point.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 12-21-19, 08:29 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Good point.
They have a wacky word for it: subrogation
Old 12-21-19, 08:38 PM
2manybikes

They have a wacky word for it: subrogation
I learned something today.
Old 12-21-19, 08:47 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I learned something today.
I learned it when my dog broke my ankle and my insurance company kept trying to make me blame someone else. (At least they didn't go after his breeder.)
Old 12-21-19, 08:55 PM
2manybikes

I learned it when my dog broke my ankle and my insurance company kept trying to make me blame someone else. (At least they didn't go after his breeder.)
Sorry you broke your ankle. It is funny about the insurance.

The dog food company kept the dog healthy enough to hurt you.
The store selling the dog food should have known better.
The makers of the package for the dog food.....
The company the supplied the ink for the package..

ok I'll stop.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 12-29-19, 09:58 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
You could try to repair it yourself. I have mended a saddle, and some ice skates with a carbon fibre repair kit that I got from Carbonology but it seems that they do not sell the kits any more, maybe. Carbonology do repairs still I think however.

But you can purchase the materials for repair from China.

Carbon cloth
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_53
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3251...0-014c2097dcbf
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3278...0-014c2097dcbf
Epoxy (I think that the epoxy is poisonous so be sure to wear gloves. )
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...chweb201603_53
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...5-fd4cce5b65c4

There are very cheap groupsets from China these days, as I learnt on another thread here.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...t=Sensa+empire

And I get wheels from China.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...psort=1&page=1

Last edited by timtak; 12-29-19 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-29-19, 11:12 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
repairing carbon bikes nowaday is totally do-able and reliable if done by a professional.
Old 12-30-19, 08:36 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Even if you sell it "as is no warranty" If something unrelated on the frame goes wrong, some people will sue you anyway. Imagine if someone got hurt badly. You would probably go to court. All kinds of jerks in this world. I would break it so it could not be ridden, Maybe cut in in half and smash it with a hammer. then put it in the trash at different times, Even if they say they would never sue you, and it is wrong or immoral you could still get sued and end up in court.

Or as suggested use it as a second bike, Or a bike for the trainer. Get the frame to a professional for a quote before deciding anything.
Even with some sort of verbal, or even a written, disclosure, an innocent, injured buyer would not have to be too much of a jerk to make the argument that by repairing the frame damage and putting it up for sale to another cyclist, there was some sort of implicit representation that the repair made the bike safe and road worthy.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 12-31-19, 06:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Do not ride on repaired golf club shafts - got it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-31-19, 08:11 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Not to get political

But didnt the president effectively do away with charitable.donation deductions

I don't have the exact answer to this question, but what I found with a warranty replacement frame (i.e., a brand new carbon mountain bike frame -- Canyon Spectral 8) was that no one was interested in paying anything remotely approaching its worth. I suspect it is the inability to transfer a warranty; that alone is probably worth 1/3 of the price of the frame.

So -- brief answer -- it is a losing proposition. Unless it is your Open Wi.de.

Edit: After reading Psimet's post, I suggest fixing it up and donating it to someone needy (i.e., someone who would not otherwise be able to afford it), and declare the $500 (or whatever is the repair cost) as the value for a charitable contribution.
ot.to
Old 12-31-19, 01:18 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I never imagined a thread about bike repairs could be twisted into a political topic! (But this is the internet, after all.)

I'm not sure anyone is still reading the entire thread anymore but, just in case: The frame which is the original topic of the thread is not repairable. If it were just a seat stay or a top tube -- no problem. That's what they do every day. But because the rear thru-axle dropout is broken, none of the professionals wants to touch it.

If they can't fix it, I can't fix it. And I'm not going to sell or donate it to someone who might get their hopes up and/or do something stupid. Legal liability or not, I'm not comfortable with it. The frame is done. It's passed on. It has ceased to be. Expired and gone to meet its maker. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. It's useful life is now history. It has kicked the bucket, shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! It is an EX-frameset!
Old 12-31-19, 01:36 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Bought the farm?
Old 12-31-19, 01:37 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
But didnt the president effectively do away with charitable.donation deductions

ot.to
You are mistaken, but it's a common mistake. Congress wrote those bills, and passed them, the president only made them law. Blame your representatives. Also, consider why you're making a contribution; if you're doing it for a deduction, you might be doing it wrong.
Old 01-02-20, 01:26 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
This thread went a few directions... So, OP's frame was probably not repairable and legality might have been questionable. In general, however, if I were going to consider a repaired frame, I would prefer to see the damaged frame before repairs and decide to buy it in that condition or not. Once its repaired, the buyer has no idea how bad the damage was originally and that makes it feel much riskier. If you insist on doing the repair, I would document the condition of the before state with lots of pictures.