Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Lover Here

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Raleigh Lover Here

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-20, 08:29 PM
wykaman

Bikes: Raleighs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Raleigh Lover Here

Hey everyone, Brian here. Currently live in Boston area. I am an every-day rider, rain or shine. As the title suggests, I love Raleigh bikes. My everyday bike is a 2018 Raleigh Rush Hour. This thing rips through the city in all weather and gets me from A to B on a daily basis.

I've come to fall in love with Raleighs over the last couple of years. I've started to collect frames from the 1960s/1970s Raleigh/Carlton era. I enjoy building them up into single-speed and fixed gear bikes as of now. Currently possess a Professional and an International, and am in pursuit of others. Maybe one day I'll figure out the derailleur and do more complicated builds

Glad to be here.
Brian
Old 01-07-20, 10:00 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked 2,190 Times in 1,190 Posts
Brian,
Raleigh's are great rides..they have a strong following on the forum..you are in good company, I know you will find the conversion answers here, there are lots of knowledgeable folks willing to assist...welcome aboard!
Ben
Old 01-08-20, 08:02 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome.

Fellow Raleigh nutter here but I think I'm at the other end of their spectrum... I love all the oddities wrought out of Nottingham! Derailleurs?! who needs those when we've got SturmeyArcher IGHs!!
Old 01-08-20, 08:36 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3138 Post(s)
Liked 6,844 Times in 3,910 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums!
Old 01-08-20, 08:45 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Welcome aboard, Brian.

I too have been a long time Raleigh fan. My first road bike (1976) was a new Raleigh Record. A "10 speed" that I soon upgraded to 12 with ratchet down tube shifters and 27x1 tires. In '77 I worked at the Raleigh shop that I bought it from. Later, I worked at the Raleigh warehouse. Today, I have a Raleigh Roper that I often ride on my work commute. Oh, I love my fixed gear rides too!
Old 01-23-20, 08:42 AM
abritishbikefan

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports 3 speed, 1939 Raleigh Sports Tourst Model 37, 1950 Raleigh Sports,1986 Bianchi Sports SX, Trek Mountain Bike, Cannondale Road bike 700

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Brian,

I too share your love of the old British iron. My first "real" bike was a 1969 Raleigh Sports handed down from my father. I've just started collecting vintage Raleighs and have acquired a 1965 and 1969 Raleigh Sports 3 speeds as well as 1964 Triumph 3 speed. My latest find is a 1931 Raleigh Sports Tourist Model 37 I found on Cape Cod this fall for $50.

I have found old Raleighs on ebay, if you can sift through the ones for $300. I have also bought old 3 speeds at the Brimfield fair. Sellers are eager to get rid of the old bikes because they are awkward and take up room.

Many times people don't know what they have. The man selling the 1931 Raleigh had no idea what it was. His daughter found it in a barn and he offered to sell it. He was fascinated with the history and the process of identification.

Once you check the headbadge and the hub you know what it is.

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-26-20, 02:16 AM
swells95126

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome. Nice bikes. I also have a Champagne 1974 International.