Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For you nitpicken' C&V judges. Go back to Schwinn school.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For you nitpicken' C&V judges. Go back to Schwinn school.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-20, 08:22 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
aka Shimano Crane GS. Long cage touring derailleur. Made sense on the Paramount 15 speed Touring model due to application, as Campagnolo didn't cater to the triple crankset crowd, and wide range users.
Old 02-01-20, 11:20 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Is it my bad, old eyes, or is this a reverse image. The bike in the main pic has its QR lever on the correct/left side. I wondered about the RD and the lower picture sayings a Shimano derailleur, looks like a Rally to my non-judge eyes. Maybe a Schwinn judge will happen by and set me straight, here shortly.

Bill
It's like anti-espionage technology, before the camo covers and name of the magazine could be photoshopped all over it like the next hot car.
Old 02-02-20, 08:00 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
It's like anti-espionage technology, before the camo covers and name of the magazine could be photoshopped all over it like the next hot car.
Man, those automotive test mules with the various cardboard and duct tape cams piece on them were laughable. I remember the spy photos on Car & Driver and Road and Track every few issues. Never did a very good job of disguising them either. I watched an old documentary about the guys that did the chasing and photography a few years back, the things factories would do to try and get past those guys was hilarious.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 02-03-20 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-03-20, 08:45 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by Kent T
aka Shimano Crane GS. Long cage touring derailleur. Made sense on the Paramount 15 speed Touring model due to application, as Campagnolo didn't cater to the triple crankset crowd, and wide range users.
They did, but not well. A lot of touring Paramounts came with these before Schwinn got smart and switched to the Shimano unit:

Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-03-20, 06:49 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked 4,473 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
They did, but not well. A lot of touring Paramounts came with these before Schwinn got smart and switched to the Shimano unit:
"Schwinn Approved."

*cough* *cough*

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 02-05-20, 06:59 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

Agreed highly, Campagnolo offered these, but they weren't all that great either. Mediocre at best. That Shimano Crane was far better in terms of touring applications or the SunTour VxGT for derailleurs in that era. A good Schwinn decision.
Old 02-05-20, 09:22 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
*cough* *cough*

-Kurt
I used to think there was some kind of physiological in the "turn your head" thing.
Turns out the docs just don't want to be coughed on.
Old 02-05-20, 10:08 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5913 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 2,120 Posts
Well I just picked up my first Schwinn, a 1968 Paramount. I can only imagine what the nitpickers are going to say . . .
Old 02-05-20, 10:33 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Well I just picked up my first Schwinn, a 1968 Paramount. I can only imagine what the nitpickers are going to say . . .
You don't pick them up! You ride them!!! Jeez...
Old 02-05-20, 10:36 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 608 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
That's only because it takes two to pick one up.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 02-06-20, 12:31 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I used to think there was some kind of physiological in the "turn your head" thing.
Turns out the docs just don't want to be coughed on.
Someone had to ask.....
Old 02-06-20, 01:16 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by thumpism
Well first you have to pick 'em up from the seller before riding. At least that has been my experience, . YMMV.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-06-20, 05:37 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked 2,711 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Well first you have to pick 'em up from the seller before riding. At least that has been my experience, . YMMV.

Nice bike, pretty amazing condition for its age. Love the steel Cinelli stem.

About the Weinmann brakes -- I can't remember if that model is early enough to have the riveted or swaged pivots in the arch that connects the two pivots. If so, take a look because those are prone to cracking. You have to take the brake off and look at the pivots from behind, look for radial cracks in the aluminum. If yours has the pivots that thread in, then you're golden, those are very reliable.

If you want period-correct brake levers for the upright bars, you want the ones with no ball on the end, more of a sharp point. The later ball-ends are a lot safer for falling on if you crash, so if you use the pointy ones and crash, keep an eye on them as you fly through the air, and choose something else to land on.
I don't think any nitpicken C&V judges will accost you if you use the newer safer levers. They're a lot easier to find too, and less likely to be worn out or bent and gouged up.

Mark B in Seattle
Old 02-06-20, 05:47 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by bulgie
Nice bike, pretty amazing condition for its age. Love the steel Cinelli stem.

About the Weinmann brakes -- I can't remember if that model is early enough to have the riveted or swaged pivots in the arch that connects the two pivots. If so, take a look because those are prone to cracking. You have to take the brake off and look at the pivots from behind, look for radial cracks in the aluminum. If yours has the pivots that thread in, then you're golden, those are very reliable.

If you want period-correct brake levers for the upright bars, you want the ones with no ball on the end, more of a sharp point. The later ball-ends are a lot safer for falling on if you crash, so if you use the pointy ones and crash, keep an eye on them as you fly through the air, and choose something else to land on.
I don't think any nitpicken C&V judges will accost you if you use the newer safer levers. They're a lot easier to find too, and less likely to be worn out or bent and gouged up.

Mark B in Seattle
Yeah, I was psyched to find this bike locally. Good to know about the Weinmann brakes. I filed away this info for future reference when I build the bike. I could live with using "newer" weinmann center pulls if need be.

Yeah that cinelli steel stem is cool. It will go on a different bike though as I plan on using drops on this bike and running it 3 x 5 with a TA crank.