Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Know anybody who rides or runs only one route, like, ever?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-20, 07:44 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7150 Post(s)
Liked 11,352 Times in 4,850 Posts
I don't ride the same exact route each time, but I do stick to the same roads and a handful of standard routes of different lengths. If I am seriously training (e.g., riding intervals), it's easier to be on familiar roads so that I can avoid stoplights and such, and not have to worry about navigation. I also become a fixture on those roads, which (as I have found from experience) means that the regular motorists on those roads tend to be more polite, and more likely to offer me assistance if I ever have a breakdown.
Old 04-23-20, 09:02 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 422 Posts
My brother in law used to ride the same 10 mile route every day. Besides being OCD, his reason was that he had a goal of 10 miles a day, and by adding up the calendar days, he was able to figure out his monthly mileage. I always thought this was wierd, until he dragged home an old Raleigh frame that he found on his regular route in a back alley scrap pile. I built the Raleigh into a nice '73 Super Course. Over 2 years ago, he had a small crash, broke his shoulder joint, cracked his head and gave up riding his bike. Part of his OCD kept him from wearing a helmet. Now he walks the same but shorter route every day.
Old 04-23-20, 09:12 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I don't see it as strange at all. I lived in a location for a couple of years that the only safe place to ride any distance was the Silver Comet Trail. I rode out and back the same way three times a week for some time. I won't say I was as rigid about the exactness of the ride the way you mention.
Old 04-23-20, 09:16 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 543 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Familiarity isn't a bad thing, all depends on your goals.
Well said.

My "regular" ride is up and down Pacific Coast Highway in Southern California. I never get tired of it.
Old 04-23-20, 09:21 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I had a standing ride that I would do with a friend 3 or 4 times a week before work. It was an out and back on a MUP, so always the same route. I would refer to it as The Standard or sometimes just The Ride. But I would do other routes on the weekends.
Old 04-23-20, 09:21 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 1,248 Times in 720 Posts
Uk

I'm English and moved to East Bay San Francisco many years ago. I really miss the old country lanes that surrounded my home town in every direction.
Closest I can get to that UK light traffic haven is a 20 mile loop around our canal trails. I've ridden that loop 19 times this year, and not much else.

I hoping once group rides begin again, I'll get an education of other light traffic routes. But until then, round and round I go.

Gettin' Dizzy

Barry
Old 04-23-20, 12:02 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 4,942 Times in 2,277 Posts
Gym rats. Spinners and treadmillers. Not me.

The scenery never changes unless the TV channel gets switched or you binge watch an entire season of ___(insert your favorite series)__ on your tablet.

ps - excuse the term 'spinners', i hear they are now known as indoor cyclists. Self delusion caused by non sequitur thinking. Aka, oxymoronic logic.

edit: Pandemic conditions and indoor riding alternatives in lockdown are absolutely not included in the conversation of delusion. Delusion is the new Reality.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-23-20 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-23-20, 01:02 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I follow someone online who rides pretty often. Probably 4 times a week. The route? Same identical 40mi route every time. Zero deviation. It's not a commuting route either. Never shorter, never longer. Never different.

I just can't imagine ever only riding or running one path, ever.

I have my favorites, but I explore or mix it up a touch.

Know anyone like this?
As a matter of fact, I do know someone who does this. A friend who always rides the same route. Just a little shy of 20 miles, from his house down to the Milwaukee Lakefront and back. It is a nice ride, but there are other ways to go. I prefer to try to mix things up a bit,on my rides but that is me. I have about 5 basic rides, with 3 or 4 variations for every ride, sometimes combining two shorter rides into one big loop. Or cutting a longer ride off when I don't have the time. That is my preference. My friend just likes the routine of the same ride, 2 or 3 days per week from May to October. And, almost never before May 1 or after October 15.
Old 04-23-20, 01:47 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I here they are now known as indoor cyclists. Self delusion caused by non sequitur thinking. Aka, oxymoronic logic.
UNACCEPTABLE! My self delusion is caused by my ego. Nothing less.
Old 04-23-20, 06:36 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
I ride the same route before work 4 days a week, 5 when I don't ride intervals on Mondays.

It's optimized for the fewest traffic lights. I save scenery and better terrain for weekends when I have no other obligations.
Ditto this. Its a 6.5 mile loop that I do a few times in the pre-dawn hours (options for smaller loops, too) on city streets. With COVID-19 its been really quiet (really nice!) in the early morning!
I've got three other routes I ride, all have variations, they all start from my front door, and all have the same initial 2 miles of road at the start.
Old 04-23-20, 10:40 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
If I am riding around in the city a vary it up. If I am riding out of town to another city I stick to the safest most direct route possible.
Old 04-24-20, 12:49 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 1,802 Posts
I would imagine some folks find comfort or at least a little less stress when they stick to familiar routines.

Riding the same route every time isn't much different from what most of my cycling acquaintances and I do anyway: Ride variations of the same route most of the time.

If my goal is a workout -- head down, frothing and slobbering up a lather on hard efforts -- I'd rather do it on familiar turf. I mostly ride variations of the same three or four loops spread out across a region maybe 30 miles across. And a lot of folks I know ride the same routes pretty often.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-24-20, 05:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I follow someone online who rides pretty often. Probably 4 times a week. The route? Same identical 40mi route every time. Zero deviation. It's not a commuting route either. Never shorter, never longer. Never different.

I just can't imagine ever only riding or running one path, ever.

I have my favorites, but I explore or mix it up a touch.

Know anyone like this?
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Why do you ask?
I ask as I just find it a touch weird. I didn't know if it was a common thing that I was perhaps discounting as unusual.
Originally Posted by dedhed
I find it weird that someone cares, much less "follows", someone else's riding habits.
I have previously posted in praise on a few threads:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
A local BF subscriber rholland1951 who contributes hundreds of photographs to the local Metro Boston thread from the same 11-mile long MUP he rides, once commented something like that "just the lighting / time of day / day of the year makes the ride “different.”

So too does the direction, one way, or the reverse.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
A local Bostonian subscriber,@rholland1951,writes lyrically with beautiful photos about twice a week to a Regional Discussion Forum Metro Boston thread about his travels on the 11-mile long Minuteman Bikepath, and considers it a “community center” in the town of Arlington.

I have referred to him as the “town crier,”or perhaps “wandering minstrel.”
He's not weird, he's an artiste.
Old 04-24-20, 06:10 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1811 Post(s)
Liked 1,335 Times in 776 Posts
I had a 20 mi. route that I would do 3-4 times a week for many years. If I had to guess I'd say the climbing was around 60 ft/mi. At the time I was riding a chromed steel frame MAZA (not Masi) w/Campy Athena friction shifters. I always rode it at TT pace. As I was approaching my 50th birthday I trained to do it at 20 mph. I trained all winter on my rollers. Then I trained on the road until my birthday rolled around in June. It was 1996. Then I rode it "balls to the wall" and did exactly 20 mph. After that I was so burned out from all the training that I stopped riding for 8 yrs. Lesson learned.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-24-20, 06:18 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I rode the same route for a few months last year. I started different routes based on snowmelt rates. As winter went out, I decided that riding in the snow/ice wasn't worth it. Now I have a bunch of options, and when I need a change of scenery I can vary my commute.
Old 04-24-20, 06:29 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
This made me laugh. I do all my routes counterclockwise only. Maybe that is weird.
NASCAR fan?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 04-24-20, 06:33 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
My weekday riding coincides with commuting, so I always am between two set points. That said, I have about 3 routes ranging from 15-28 miles, depending on my time available and mileage I want to do. Weekends will have about 3-5 miles which always overlap, unless I drive the bike to the location and then start, which is seldom. Even at that, things are mostly variations of 5 different routes. Even at that, of those 5 base routes it could be months before I repeat more than 25% of a weekend route. Considering the people I regularly see while riding, I would say a whole lot of people repeat routes often.
Old 04-24-20, 06:35 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
NASCAR fan?
I believe it was Jack Reacher who said, "When in doubt, turn left."
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 04-24-20, 06:39 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked 1,981 Times in 955 Posts
Creatures of habit. I use ridewithgps figuring out relatively safe and scenic routes from home. I have about 6 or so variations of 30 to 80 miles I stick with. Sometimes I have to shake it up and drive to a park in the foothills to get into some mountain riding. Obligations as a part-time caregiver keep me closer to home.
Old 04-24-20, 09:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have 4 basic routes that I ride around the city. They vary from 20 miles to 35 miles. But then on a whim I will turn off the route to see something that interests me.
Old 04-24-20, 10:09 AM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
I have a 53 mile route that I do solo 4 times a week. The reason for me sticking to the same route is because I feel that it is the safest route that I can ride from home and back. When I mixed it up a few times I found myself on roads that weren't as safe. On Saturday and Sunday I do different routes with two separate groups.
Old 04-24-20, 11:16 AM
Tom L

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
I have a 53 mile route that I do solo 4 times a week. The reason for me sticking to the same route is because I feel that it is the safest route that I can ride from home and back. When I mixed it up a few times I found myself on roads that weren't as safe. On Saturday and Sunday I do different routes with two separate groups.
I'm the same way, I have a few routes on the road that I ride all the time, they are the only lightly traveled roads in the area that I feel safe on, most of the other roads I would never ride on
Old 04-25-20, 11:24 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I ride the same trail near my house over and over. It is the only place worth riding within distance of my house, and I don't really care enough to put the bike in my car just to ride somewhere else, which is probably worse in most ways especially too hilly if I go to the mountainy areas.
Old 04-26-20, 03:11 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Tonight, I planned on riding a century using a route I’ve ran a few times in the past. After 25 miles I was SO ******* BORED I abandoned my plan and decided to improvise. I had a far better time, and wasn’t bored in the least bit for the rest of the ride.

I don’t think I’d even want to hop on the saddle if I didn’t have any variety as far as routes were concerned. To each-their-own, but personally, that sounds like complete and utter insanity.
Old 04-26-20, 03:57 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
...Obligations as a part-time caregiver keep me closer to home.
Ditto. I was caregiver for two grandparents and then my mom until she died a couple of years ago. That's one reason I got in the habit of using a 5 mile loop just under 2 miles from home. Good workout and I could be home quickly if necessary -- which occasionally happened when my mom's part-time aides flaked out. I tried to time my exercise time around their schedules but it didn't always work out.

Now it's just me and the cats. I still ride that loop on most longer rides, either as a warmup or after a longer ride. Good fast long oval on roller coaster terrain. Scenery isn't bad, it's just an access road alongside a moderately busy highway, still adjacent to thousands of acres of as-yet undeveloped Texas prairie. It'll probably be fully developed in another 20 years. For now, I have to watch for deer and other critters near sunup and sunset.

But my three other usual routes are mostly larger loops up to 20-30 miles. Put together I mostly ride a four leaf clover shape of large loops that intersection around where I live. On the rare occasion I have the patience to ride a century, I'll usually combine those four loops and it's done.

I enjoy exploring other routes but hardly ever find one that I like as well. Occasionally I'll try a route a friend has posted on Strava or other app. I figure if they ride it often it must be good. But usually I don't see why they ride that route so often -- too many turns, too much traffic, lousy roads, too much time on the MUP, etc. They probably say the same about my usual routes, which are mostly along prairie and pasture rural and suburban roads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.