Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

UCI frame logo

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

UCI frame logo

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 04:59 PM
sharkwaffles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Counterfeit what? Is there a recognizable brand name on the frame? Is someone is selling knock-offs of a reputable brand, that brand might want to know about it.
I believe the frame is a counterfeit. It was advertised as a canyon aeroad. And thats what is on the frame. I'll post a picture. I would love for canyon to do something about it but what can they really do? Who knows where that guy bought it from.
Old 05-05-20, 05:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4953 Post(s)
Liked 8,095 Times in 3,831 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
His other thread says ”Aeroad”, so I’m gonna guess Canyon.
I missed the other thread. Thanks.
Old 05-05-20, 05:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4953 Post(s)
Liked 8,095 Times in 3,831 Posts
Originally Posted by sharkwaffles
I believe the frame is a counterfeit. It was advertised as a canyon aeroad. And thats what is on the frame. I'll post a picture. I would love for canyon to do something about it but what can they really do? Who knows where that guy bought it from.
Canyon might not be able to do anything specific for you, but they may be very interested - and concerned - that someone is producing forfeit frames with their brand on them.
Old 05-05-20, 05:07 PM
sharkwaffles

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well, if anyone from Canyon is on this forum, I bought it from a guy named Alexis Camacho in the Haines City, FL area.

Old 05-05-20, 06:02 PM
sharkwaffles

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
How about the rest of the story? How much? More pictures?

Let others learn from your experience
Okay, I'll start from the beginning.

So, I've been road cycling for about a year now. Started on a used Allez. Over the last 12 months I had gotten a lot faster and made some good progress with my fitness. I really enjoyed all the group rides and could see myself doing this for a long time. So I decided I wanted to step up to a nicer bike. After much shopping around (new and used) I came across an ad on facebook market place for a 2018 canyon aeroad. The guy was asking $3,000 and claimed to have bought the frame from canyon and put the bike together himself. I really loved the look of the bike and figured that living in Florida with 98% flats, an aero type bike might be a good idea. I also liked that it had ultegra components and zipp wheels. So, not knowing much about canyons (had never even seen an aeroad in real life) I decided to meet up with the guy and see how the bike felt. I test road it and fell in love. It was my size, the bars felt super comfy, the handling was amazing. I sprinted across the parking lot a few times and the response felt amazing. Took it up to about 22mph and was blown away by the minimal effort needed to hold it at that speed. I believe some of this was because riding my old allez for 12 months and also the fact that I was too excited about the bike to really find anything negative. Anyhow, the wheels were true, the frame looked in-tacked, shifts were buttery smooth. I thought to myself, this is it, this is the one. (I didn't even think to check for a serial number, and honestly, being fairly new to cycling, I didn't even know there was such a thing as counterfeit bike frames). The guy claimed that he just didn't have time to ride it anymore and it just sat. We settled on a price of $2500 and I took her home as a proud (at the time) canyon owner. I got fitted on it and rode it about 200 miles. After about a 2 week period I got a slight creak noise from the headset. So I decided to take it apart and service it, maybe replace the bearings... This is when the realization began... The steerer tube diameter was 1.125" and had shims to fit the canyon 1.25" bars. Then I noticed a gap between the frame the the lower spacer. While researching online I noticed this color scheme had never been offered by canyon except for team Katusha's bike back in 2016 when they signed on Rein Taaramäe i guess. This is when I noticed the fake UCI logo and then desperately went searching all over the bike for a serial number. Hopefully anyone that may be new to cycling will read this and learn a few things. I really dont know what to do at this point.. Just keep using it for what it is until I can get a legit bike, shop for a frame set and try to salvage what I can off this bike..Idk.. Anyhow, below are some pics.

No SN...
Likes For sharkwaffles:
Old 05-05-20, 06:04 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I am no expert but that looks fake. If you go to the canyon website and check out the available colors you can see red bikes but not quite the same as this one pictured. Also the top tube logo and pattern isn't quite right. I can't find a set up comparable but I didn't search for a long time I guess.

Don't know what year it is to be for certain.

See this article for 2018
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/05/cany...g-term-review/

Here is canyon link for the current model. $2400 alone for frame, you got it complete for that?? Might have been a clue? IDK

https://www.canyon.com/en-th/road-bi...=RD&quantity=1

Last edited by sdmc530; 05-05-20 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-05-20, 06:15 PM
sharkwaffles

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I am no expert but that looks fake. If you go to the canyon website and check out the available colors you can see red bikes but not quite the same as this one pictured. Also the top tube logo and pattern isn't quite right. I can't find a set up comparable but I didn't search for a long time I guess.

Don't know what year it is to be for certain.

See this article for 2018
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/05/cany...g-term-review/
So what now..just use it. Trash it and start over.. I don't want to continue riding it if its unsafe
Old 05-05-20, 06:23 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
That blows, sorry that seller pawned that off on you
Old 05-05-20, 06:32 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
So what now..just use it. Trash it and start over.. I don't want to continue riding it if its unsafe
If it were me in your shoes, I'd strip the parts of value and trash everything else.
Then, I'd go buy the real thing.

Edit: Maybe I'd try to sell it as-is, with full disclosure, to minimize my loss and put it towards the real thing.

Last edited by ckindt; 05-05-20 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-05-20, 09:02 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
Canyon is pretty backlogged right now with emails, but I would ask them. It does look fake to me based on an examination of the photos. The wheels as well. The spoke nipples are red, which Zipp doesn’t do. And the 404 logo looks wrong.

Last edited by justonwo; 05-06-20 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-05-20, 09:03 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Its not trash.

you actually have a couple options. Take it to a good shop and have them check it over. If they deem it safe ride it.

or like mentioned sell it as is and just disclose it. Or buy a new frame put all the parts on that second frame and just get rid of the fake frame and possibly wheels.

I would also contact canyon before i did anything else and talk to them. It may or may not be a real canyon but it may be a perfectly fine bike even if its not the real deal. Guys buy the ebay frames and wheels from china and some guys have really nice bikes.

get it looked at and call canyon.

sorry it happened but it does. If its a really good deal then there is usually a reason.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 05-05-20, 10:36 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Not to throw salt in the wound because this is a major bummer already, but I'd get in touch with Zipp as well. I'm not an encyclopedia of their stickers designs, but IIRC, the sticker on your wheelset near the valve should be two stickers- one on the left should be the firecrest bird thing, then the "Z" should be imprinted in the carbon, then a second sticker with the model (404). And as someone else mentioned, it's not unheard of for someone to rebuild Zipp rims with different hubs/spokes, but it is somewhat unusual...and your wheels definitely don't have Zipp hubs or nipples.
Old 05-05-20, 11:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
They look dimpled in the photos above, seems like a long way to go to make a knock off.

That's from a used listing, probably a few years old. So maybe the right vintage.
Old 05-05-20, 11:46 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
I mean, Zipp literally call out the imprinted/embossed "Z" as a way to spot authentic Firecrest wheels on their website, but who knows https://zipp.com/support/counterfeit
Old 05-06-20, 04:51 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
There are definitely faked dimples. The pattern has changed at various points, but I think the dimples on these are too regular; the genuine ones have more variation in their patterns. At least, I think the do. Also, the samples I was looking at have better-defined edges to the dimples. Check with Zipp.

Not to mention, a guy whos fine selling a counterfeit frame isn't likely to invest in real Zipps to go on it.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-06-20, 05:19 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Things could be much much worse.

The next bike you find on facebook and hand over $2500 cash for in a parking lot without seeing proof of purchase will probably be stolen.
Old 05-06-20, 05:35 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
if you itemize on your income taxes, you may be able to use this as a theft deduction. depending on your tax bracket, you can get a portion of the money back that way. At leas the Ultegra group is probably real!
Old 05-06-20, 07:53 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I agree that the wheels are probably fake too. The strange stickers and Novatec hubs are two give aways.

There is a good chance that the bike will be fine. There is also a chance that it is absolute junk that will suddenly break under you. You really have no idea what quality control was like or how it was put together, and most shops do not have the expertise to tell you.
Old 05-06-20, 08:04 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
and most shops do not have the expertise to tell you.
What would they charge to tell you "that unknown frame and wheels won't break your teeth one day JRA"?
Old 05-06-20, 08:22 AM
sharkwaffles

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I think I'll start with Canyon and then head to a LBS to have it looked over. Weigh out my options and go from there... If i keep it, it could also be a dedicated trainer bike. At least if it suddenly fails me it will be in my living room and not in a group ride at 22 mph.
Likes For sharkwaffles:
Old 05-06-20, 11:12 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Have you tried contacting the seller? I'd reach out and tell him that you know that he sold you a fake and demand a refund. If he refuses, threaten him with legal action. He stated that he bought the frame from Canyon (which he clearly did not), so unless he can provide documentation from Canyon proving that he did, he committed fraud.

Let him know that you filed a police report, and that you are reporting him to Canyon and Zipp (who can sue him for trademark infringement). Hopefully that scares him enough into giving you a refund.
Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 05-06-20, 11:24 AM
sharkwaffles

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
Have you tried contacting the seller? I'd reach out and tell him that you know that he sold you a fake and demand a refund. If he refuses, threaten him with legal action. He stated that he bought the frame from Canyon (which he clearly did not), so unless he can provide documentation from Canyon proving that he did, he committed fraud.

Let him know that you filed a police report, and that you are reporting him to Canyon and Zipp (who can sue him for trademark infringement). Hopefully that scares him enough into giving you a refund.
So, I filed a police report and did exactly what you stated. He refused to refund and said he didn't care if I reported him to Canyon/Zipp as he is a private individual that big companies wouldn't waste their time/resources on. I was also contacted by the police last night. They basically explained that there wasn't anything they could do as it was a private sale and my only option was to take him to court over a civil dispute... Once the pandemic passes I'll take it to my LBS and hopefully they can help me weigh out my options.

On the bright side, I just got back from a lunch break ride and broke 3 PRs haha. Probably out of anger but none the less, I'm still getting faster.
Old 05-06-20, 11:26 AM
sharkwaffles

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My LBS is a trek distributor. Maybe Ill test ride a new emonda sl5 while I'm there getting my Fanyon(see what i did there) looked over.
I'm digging that new emerald iris color..
Old 05-06-20, 11:28 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
I'd ride it and learn from the experience...you even said you like how it rode. Put the buying experience behind you (since there is little recourse at this point) and enjoy the ride.
Likes For mprince:
Old 05-06-20, 11:29 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
So, I filed a police report and did exactly what you stated. He refused to refund and said he didn't care if I reported him to Canyon/Zipp as he is a private individual that big companies wouldn't waste their time/resources on. I was also contacted by the police last night. They basically explained that there wasn't anything they could do as it was a private sale and my only option was to take him to court over a civil dispute... Once the pandemic passes I'll take it to my LBS and hopefully they can help me weigh out my options.

On the bright side, I just got back from a lunch break ride and broke 3 PRs haha. Probably out of anger but none the less, I'm still getting faster.
small claims court may not be such a bad idea since he is brazenly refusing to work with you.
Likes For kissTheApex:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.