Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Gasification woodgas cook stove

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Gasification woodgas cook stove

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 03:56 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
We have rain and spotty fire hazards while staying by the AC during hot spells although another reason for a Go-Sun-Go-Ultra-Portable-Solar-Cooker.
Old 05-26-20, 06:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
But seriously, a worthwhile tangent might be:

What kind of forest service approved fire box would be a reasonable luxury item to bring along,
allowing a small campfire to be safely lit for entertainment purposes and or smores?
I believe that if open fires are banned that means all are banned. (Things like butane and liquid fuel stoves are still allowed.) The concern is sparks/embers. If not, you can build one.
Old 05-26-20, 07:45 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
It depends on the jurisdiction. No open fires usually includes things like the wood gas, Zipp and biolight stoves but a lot of places will allow a wood fired stove to be used out side of designated campsites in places that require that all "campfires" be in officially designated fire rings. And then some places require a separate "fire permit" that may or may not note the difference between a stove and a fire ring.
Old 05-27-20, 12:34 AM
Mark Hoaglund

Available June 2020 $99 & free shipping https://gosun.co/products/go Time for me to order one in my Zen moment.
Old 05-27-20, 02:21 AM
Mark Hoaglund

Out here we've been spoiled by the DNR allowing us to camp freely along our river bottoms sand bars for over 36 years. School parties, family cookouts, boating, fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, X-C skiing and cycling good times. The moral; Peace, love, sisters, brothers & joy.
Old 05-27-20, 10:54 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Another idea that caught my attention for cycling weekend river party campouts.

How to use the GoSun Fusion | Solar Oven that Cooks at Night

Old 05-30-20, 12:26 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Got some WMT Fast Orange w/pumice and tried KC8QVO method after rinsing the Dawn dish soap off and towel dried then applied a generous coat of FO & set aside for 60 minutes to absorb. Wet my fingers and easily rubbed most of the soot right off then rinsed. Repeated for the stubborn bottom. Easily cleaned with a little elbow grease & rag. Thank you VERY MUCH for the EASY method KC8QVO.
Old 05-30-20, 12:52 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Say Steve I didn't see any orange tints but coated it with Dawn dish soap, dried and put it back in my black duffel bag dedicated to kitchen duty. Thanks again.
Old 05-30-20, 01:12 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I believe that if open fires are banned that means all are banned. (Things like butane and liquid fuel stoves are still allowed.) The concern is sparks/embers. If not, you can build one.
I think alcohol stoves and Stermo type stoves also come under open fire bans in most western states. Open fire bans essentually include any gas stove without an on/off valve.

Complete list from US Forest Service site:

Non-approved Fires

• Campfires that utilize wood, pressed logs, wood pellets, paper, cardboard, or other solid fuels.
  • Campfires utilizing solid fuel that do not distribute the flame with a wick.
  • Briquette fires.
  • Unapproved fires on a summer home or residence porch or in an uncontained structure.
  • Unapproved fires in a tent, open garage or carport, fenced area, shelter, porch or other nonstructural surrounding.
  • “Tikki torches” which utilize liquid fuel.
  • Alcohol ultralight stoves (these tend to be homemade from aluminum or tin cans and burn rubbing alcohol)
  • Wood “twig” ultralight stoves
  • Campfires, lanterns, or stoves that use non-pressurized liquid gas or fuel.
  • Liquid fuel citronella lanterns or liquid fuel candles.
  • Solid fuel candles which are not contained within a metal container or glass container.
  • Liquid fuel stove or lantern fires which utilize a wick to distribute the flame.
  • Solid fuel fireworks of any kind.
  • Wood, solid fuel or non-pressurized gas campfires contained by a rock barrier.
  • Wood, solid fuel or non-pressurized gas campfires contained in an open camp stove, container, or barrel.
  • Wood, solid fuel or non-pressurized gas campfires contained in a closed camp stove, not in a fully contained residence or summer home.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-30-20 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-30-20, 10:05 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Hoaglund
Got some WMT Fast Orange w/pumice and tried KC8QVO method after rinsing the Dawn dish soap off and towel dried then applied a generous coat of FO & set aside for 60 minutes to absorb. Wet my fingers and easily rubbed most of the soot right off then rinsed. Repeated for the stubborn bottom. Easily cleaned with a little elbow grease & rag. Thank you VERY MUCH for the EASY method KC8QVO.
60min may be a bit on the long side - by that time a lot of it may have dried. Glad it worked for ya. I've done that several times and it has helped me. I usually have some fast orange in a small (2oz or so) Nalgene bottle in the pack when I am backpacking - its great for getting pine sap and soot off your hands in camp also.
Old 05-31-20, 01:43 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Originally Posted by Doug64
I think alcohol stoves and Stermo type stoves also come under open fire bans in most western states.
My campfire experience is mostly camping and canoeing in maine. From recollection the issue was kindling a fire outside of designated campsites with aproved fire pits. A fire ban is a separate issue. Again from recollection of talking to a ranger/warden, it would be acceptable to build a fire on a metal garbage can lid. If it's wet enough that open fires are ok doesn't mean a campfire won't start a root fire that could start a fire days later.
Old 05-31-20, 02:01 PM
bark_eater 

I've always wanted one of the Littlbug folding hobo stoves. The have a folding fire pan to go undernieth to protect the ground. The big stove an pan are geting to a couple pounds so it's a bit of weight and lot more money than a cofee can with holes punched around the bottom.