Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First time going clipless - how to avoid the road rash?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First time going clipless - how to avoid the road rash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 08:04 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
After a few weeks you'll get really comfortable and forget all about them. Then plonk, probably stopping at an intersection. Hopefully you're still in lockdown and there won't be a busload of school kids there laughing at you.
yep, this is pretty much how it works.
Old 05-06-20, 05:34 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
This

Originally Posted by adamhenry
Practice with the MTB at a nice grassy park. SPDs using the SH-56 cleats are a little easier than SPD-SLs for me.
SH56 are multidirectional cleats and much easier to unclip from.

But most pedals ship with sh52
Old 05-06-20, 05:56 AM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
After a few weeks you'll get really comfortable and forget all about them. Then plonk, probably stopping at an intersection....
This is at least part of the reason I habitually clip out on the right. Fail-safe. It did happen once. I didn't get my foot out fast enough. Plonk, over to the right. I fell toward and onto the curb and grass berm, not flat onto the road directly in front of an approaching car.
Old 05-08-20, 12:48 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
This is at least part of the reason I habitually clip out on the right. Fail-safe. It did happen once. I didn't get my foot out fast enough. Plonk, over to the right. I fell toward and onto the curb and grass berm, not flat onto the road directly in front of an approaching car.
We must have different priorities. I unclip left so that if I fall, it’s on the non drive side 😄
Likes For smashndash:
Old 05-08-20, 08:24 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 61 Posts
You don't have to install both pedals in your practice period. Install one, practice unclipping when you still have time to use the other foot to stabilize if you are unsuccessful. Once you master the right foot, you'll probably be able to catch on with the left one in less time. Seriously, start out with the settings loosen, and tighten as you gain confidence or never. I like mine loose.
Old 05-08-20, 08:48 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Peruano
You don't have to install both pedals in your practice period. Install one, practice unclipping when you still have time to use the other foot to stabilize if you are unsuccessful. Once you master the right foot, you'll probably be able to catch on with the left one in less time. Seriously, start out with the settings loosen, and tighten as you gain confidence or never. I like mine loose.
I'm not following.

Clipless fails are usually when you start to lean to one side before you remember to click out. How does having a free foot on the other side of the bike help this? It seems to me that, if you have one clipless, one flat, you're a) not getting any practice on the flat pedal side and b) you're not mitigating the risk of falling over on the clipless side.
Old 05-08-20, 09:13 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Peruano
Old 05-08-20, 10:42 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Clipless fails are usually when you start to lean to one side before you remember to click out. How does having a free foot on the other side of the bike help this? It seems to me that, if you have one clipless, one flat, you're a) not getting any practice on the flat pedal side and b) you're not mitigating the risk of falling over on the clipless side.
I can kinda see the point. If you are practicing unclipping on one side, atleast it takes away the worry that you might end up leaning towards the other side and fall on the side where you are not ready.
Old 05-09-20, 08:43 AM
Don23

Bikes: 2019 Bianchi Oltre XR3 Disc DI2; 1975 Bianchi IDK what

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
I started using clipless in September. Never fell until this week..Yesterday was the second time this week! LOL Both times I set off at the same time as turning around in too low of a gear, stalled and fell to the side of the clipped foot. Didn't get hurt either time.
Old 05-12-20, 05:35 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Awells32
Thanks for all the advice guys. Hopefully I wont be kissing the tarmac too often now.

Any advice on shoes? I've been looking on line, and prices range from dirt cheap to astronomical. Should I buy the cheap ones to begin with, then upgrade to more expensive ones later on, or will they just fall apart/be **** from straight away and not be worth it? If I were to get slightly more expensive ones, I'd probably go up to the £150ish kind of range. What do you recommend?
If you are new to this and no idea like some who have been cycling for decades I would pony up and head to my LBS to see what they have and I can try on and even maybe test run them. Clipless once you go that route.......you never go back!
Old 05-12-20, 10:21 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm sure I'll totally **** myself over with this one, but I'm still waiting for it to happen to me - 10 years and counting, tick-tock.
No, you haven't fallen because this isn't rocket science. I switched to clipless ~25 years ago after ~20 years on toestraps. Clipped in and out a few times while on the bike in a doorway, just to get used to the motion and to ballpark cleat location and seat height, then headed out for a ride. Had one late clip-out at the first stop, a wobble but stayed upright. That's it - once you have the routine settled in (in a matter of minutes), clipping out at a stop is like taking your foot off the pedal - not something you forget. I started with LOOKs and now ride SPD-SLs.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 05-12-20, 10:55 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
No, you haven't fallen because this isn't rocket science. I switched to clipless ~25 years ago after ~20 years on toestraps. Clipped in and out a few times while on the bike in a doorway, just to get used to the motion and to ballpark cleat location and seat height, then headed out for a ride. Had one late clip-out at the first stop, a wobble but stayed upright. That's it - once you have the routine settled in (in a matter of minutes), clipping out at a stop is like taking your foot off the pedal - not something you forget. I started with LOOKs and now ride SPD-SLs.
It's been my observation that riders who started with clips and straps have zero issues adapting to clipless. Rotating your heel out is so much easier than having to reach down and loosen a strap and then wiggling your foot out.
Old 05-14-20, 09:09 AM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
I had to beat this into my head- Any issues downshifting when going uphill, unclip immediately.
Yes, I remember falling on my first ride or two in clipless pedals for this very reason. Also, a few months ago, my chain came off while going up a steep hill. I'd just come off a steep downhill, so I was still going kinda fast. This combination -- chain off, steep hill -- can lead to only one thing: You're going to stop. This inevitability didn't dawn on me right away. I'm in denial, thinking the chain will magically pop back on. Then it happened (complete stop), and I'm like, Holy Crap! Fortunately, I unclipped in the nick of time, but it gave me a cold chill.

Rule of thumb, especially for those just starting with clipless pedals - You won't fall over if you're moving forward, so beware of hills, and give yourself some room at a stop sign or between the rider in front of you. If you're struggling to get unclipped (very common at first), you can save yourself by starting to pedal again (keep moving) as long as you have room in front of you to do that.
Old 05-31-20, 09:35 PM
stewartt1982

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
I had to beat this into my head- Any issues downshifting when going uphill, unclip immediately.
I've been slightly dreading hills since moving back to Japan this year. I'm currently waiting for a frame to be delivered, delayed by coronavirus, but I've been looking forward/dreading mountain riding here. While I've been riding bikes as my primary transportation and fun activity for 15 years (Moved from Canada to Germany and discovered cycling was not only for kids) it was always on flats until 2018. Started riding clipless in Winnipeg, Manitoba, a place so flat that I've posted 100 km rides with as little as 70m in elevation gain. Love riding in the mountains here, but as a klutz, have often had issues downshifting while approaching a steep climb. Going to keep this piece of advice in mind.
Old 06-01-20, 12:22 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I guess I should admit it- I was climbing uphill and dropped the chain off the granny chainring in a panic shift. I didn't unclip, and after 1.5 seconds fell over in the road right next to a middle school bus dropping off kids. They were howling out the windows.
Old 06-01-20, 04:13 PM
grumpyoldguy

Bikes: Scott, Kona

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Don't try to unclip and stop at first. (You don't have to be clipped in to pedal the bike.) Just find a quiet straight stretch of road and unclip and clip in while coasting along until you're comfortable doing it. Then move on to slowing down and unclipping. Also, set the tension on the side you're going to unclip first really low, to make it easy to do it.
Old 06-03-20, 08:39 PM
jnesss

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
when I first went clipless, I practiced in a tennis court. over the last 8 months, I've fallen a couple times, but things seem to be ok now (with the odd exception of panic stops). what helped me was just being consistent with unclipping at stop signs and ONLY ever unclipping one side (right).

if you care about your bike, tape up the handlebars, rear derailleur, pedals, skewers, etc..

Last edited by jnesss; 06-03-20 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 12:47 AM
mango18

Bikes: Looking for one

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
I fell 2 days ago again after more than 150 miles on the bike. 3 rd time. The reason is very simple. When I clip out my foot has to go somewhere. I had a few feet still to go. I made the mistake of resting back on the peddle and boom the shoe clipped in again. Now I take it out and leave it dangling behind the pedal to prevent accidental clip ins. I have the pedal that allows clips in on both sides. I may investigate changing to one side clip in only.
Old 06-05-20, 01:32 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by mango18
I fell 2 days ago again after more than 150 miles on the bike. 3 rd time. The reason is very simple. When I clip out my foot has to go somewhere. I had a few feet still to go. I made the mistake of resting back on the peddle and boom the shoe clipped in again. Now I take it out and leave it dangling behind the pedal to prevent accidental clip ins. I have the pedal that allows clips in on both sides. I may investigate changing to one side clip in only.
Ah yes, the "sorry hon, it went in accidentally" excuse... we've all experienced that.

Jokes apart - you can just rest your heel on the pedal. Most of your weight will be on the other leg anyway, so little risk of clipping back in.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 06-05-20, 08:29 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 4,081 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider_1
I'm with you. I was nervous that I would have trouble but I took to them immediately, like 5-10 minutes, and I've never had a problem when riding. They felt very natural right away. Saying that, I have fallen twice, but both times were when I was standing still, with one foot on the ground and the other still clipped in. I fell to the side that I was clipped in, and it's impossible to swing your heel out in that situation. Very embarassing.
And you know immediately how it’s going to end. A helpless feeling. Thankfully it always seems to be a very minor spill..like you, normally still or just about to be.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-07-20, 04:18 AM
Awells32

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
So in the end, I went and bought the shimano 105 r7000 pedals and some bontrager circuit road shoes. So far, they've been great, but occasionally get a slight hot spot on my left foot but it goes away if I jiggle my foot slightly in the shoe, so maybe just need to adjust the cleat position.
After two weeks, ive only had 1 incident with being clipped in, and that was yesterday when I lost momentum trying to cross a road and ended up falling sideways into a bush. Other than that, I've loved them, the difference from what I was using before is instantly noticeable.
Likes For Awells32: