Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Need hub suggestions.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Need hub suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 03:45 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Need hub suggestions.

I want to upgrade my wheels. Need good hub suggestions for hubs that are better than origin8 or even better than gran compe. Not too pricey. Right now I have Hplus Sons Archytypes with origin8s. I want to have less rolling resistance. I don’t need the lightest hubs but if they’re lighter and still strong then that’s great. Also want to get better spokes. I have 32 holes front and rear. Thanks.

EDIT: Didn’t mean to create two of these threads. Sorry.

Last edited by ryan_rides; 06-12-20 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 05:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
White Industries, Phil wood, Pauls comp, all in northern California.

[ As usual here, incomplete info offered : 120 or 135 width frame ... freewheel or fixed? ]

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-13-20 at 09:09 AM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-12-20, 08:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4454 Post(s)
Liked 4,119 Times in 2,750 Posts
In addition to the awesome hubs listed by @fietsbob I would highly recommend the All City New Sheriff SLs. They are light not super expensive and seem to be great quality. I haven't had any issues with them and they have built up quite nicely.

Mine are Archetypes laced with Sapim Force spokes, SecureLock Nipples to the AC hubs and have been awesome. I also have another rear hub on a WTB ChrisCross rim in same config on my Single Speed/Fixed Gear RandoCross FunTime Machine and that sees some rougher riding sometimes.
Old 06-12-20, 09:49 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by fietsbob
White Industries, Phil wood, Pauls comp, all in northern California.
Yeah I’m aware of all those. Those are all the best and I would love to have some Phil Wood’s or Paul’s but just not in the budget as of now.
Old 06-12-20, 09:52 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by veganbikes
In addition to the awesome hubs listed by @fietsbob I would highly recommend the All City New Sheriff SLs. They are light not super expensive and seem to be great quality. I haven't had any issues with them and they have built up quite nicely.

Mine are Archetypes laced with Sapim Force spokes, SecureLock Nipples to the AC hubs and have been awesome. I also have another rear hub on a WTB ChrisCross rim in same config on my Single Speed/Fixed Gear RandoCross FunTime Machine and that sees some rougher riding sometimes.
Thank you. All-City is one of my favorite brands so I will definitely look into those hubs.
Old 06-12-20, 10:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by ryan_rides
Thank you. All-City is one of my favorite brands so I will definitely look into those hubs.
They are some of the lightest out there with large flanges and they look pretty decent. Sure not the same bling factor as Phil Wood but almost 200 grams lighter not a bad bet. It would be neat to see a set of these on the Thunderdrome (since it is an AC bike you would think AC hubs?) and certainly would love to see a blingier version with really nice polishing and anodizing with a engraved or laser etched logo. But for a good reliable hub these are hard to beat.
Old 06-17-20, 12:16 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by veganbikes
They are some of the lightest out there with large flanges and they look pretty decent. Sure not the same bling factor as Phil Wood but almost 200 grams lighter not a bad bet. It would be neat to see a set of these on the Thunderdrome (since it is an AC bike you would think AC hubs?) and certainly would love to see a blingier version with really nice polishing and anodizing with a engraved or laser etched logo. But for a good reliable hub these are hard to beat.
It's always nice to see bike brands with quality stuff. Frames and parts. Like Affinity.
It looks like they come with with a dual nut by a 6mm hex and also a 15mm wrench which is really cool! Thanks for pointing these out to me. I didn't know All-City came out with new hubs. Hope they roll better than Origin8 hubs. They're at a good price too.
Old 06-17-20, 12:18 PM
ryan_rides

I do have question about how to find the right spoke length if I do get new hubs? What are all the measurements I need? My local bike shop should be able to figure it out if I have the right measurements for them right?
Old 06-17-20, 12:50 PM
natloz

Bikes: Bianchi Alfana, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Sirrus Pro SS Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
I do have question about how to find the right spoke length if I do get new hubs? What are all the measurements I need? My local bike shop should be able to figure it out if I have the right measurements for them right?
I used this one recently and it was bang-on! https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator/
Old 06-17-20, 12:57 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by natloz
I used this one recently and it was bang-on! https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator/
Thank you! This looks legit. I will give it a try.
Old 06-17-20, 04:22 PM
natloz

Bikes: Bianchi Alfana, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Sirrus Pro SS Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
Thank you! This looks legit. I will give it a try.
Advisable to take all your own measurements as per their diagram. It will pre-populate, but good to double check as once you get custom spokes cut...
Old 06-18-20, 12:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

It's always nice to see bike brands with quality stuff. Frames and parts. Like Affinity.
It looks like they come with with a dual nut by a 6mm hex and also a 15mm wrench which is really cool! Thanks for pointing these out to me. I didn't know All-City came out with new hubs. Hope they roll better than Origin8 hubs. They're at a good price too.
They have had these hubs out for a little while but yeah the 6mm and 15mm is nice. They don't slip on me at all and I have had zero issues with them. Excellent hubs ATMO. They should roll better than Origin8 stuff but I haven't used their stuff so I cannot be 100% but I can say I am happy with mine.
Old 06-18-20, 06:56 PM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
In addition to the usual suspects, Suzue Pro Max. I have a set laced to Archetypes I really like. Found mine new old stock on eBay.

Dura Ace is another one that wasn't mentioned and Miche.
Old 06-19-20, 11:13 AM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by nightfly
In addition to the usual suspects, Suzue Pro Max. I have a set laced to Archetypes I really like. Found mine new old stock on eBay.

Dura Ace is another one that wasn't mentioned and Miche.
Aren't Dura-Ace hubs unsealed? I don't want unsealed beearing in my hubs. This bike is my only horse in the stable and I don't want to deal with that. I would need to hear more about Miche's hubs to feel good about investing in them. All-City has been proven to make quality.