Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

My Almost 50 year-old Paris Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 03:52 PM
OLDTMR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Almost 50 year-old Paris Sport

Back in the early '70's I lived in Butler, NJ, a stones throw from Boonton & Pompton Lakes where one of the better local bike shops in North Jersey was located near the old Route 23 traffic circle. I was a runner at the time, and also enjoyed snow skiing, wanted to get back on a bike and ride the hills where I lived. I did some window shopping a couple of times, and then talked to the owner who said he had a semi-custom bike that might be a good fit size-wise for me if I had the budget. The bike was a Paris Sport he had assembled and he told me it wasn't all out top tier, but it was well above the normal 10-speeds from Raleigh, Peugeot, and a few other foreign bikes. I wound up taking the bike for a test ride and I really liked it. Back then.. it was around $325 for the bike which was well over double many of the other bikes I had looked at. I had no idea about brands, but this shop was connected to Vic Fraysse's in Ridgewood, they had ribbons and trophies in the shop and quite a few serious riders were in and out all the time. It might've been owned by the Fraysse's son Mike, its been so long I forget, but the owner of the shop was definitely a competitive rider.

So I bought the bike and have used it on and off over the years, even replaced the original sew-ups with new D'Alesandro Speciale's because I didn't have the heart to change over the rims. I got more involved with competitive running later in the '70's and early '80's until a motorcycle accident screwed up my knee. So, back too the bike... Its a Star-Nordn Frame, has the Victor/Made in France label on it, even the Handlebars have a French Paris Sport logo and "Marque De'poss'ee" (trade mark) embossed in them. The brakes are Weinmann center-pull alloy, the alloy rims are MAVIC Championnat Du Monde with Normandy alloy hubs and MM Atom quick-change axles. The rear derailer is a Huret Svelto, front is also Huret... the cranks are Stronglight Alloy. The front fork is a Vitus 888, the seat is an Italian Selle Royal. With more and more debris (and potholes) on the roads these days I don't know how long the sew-ups would last before blowing LOL. Perhaps once I get some time I will pick up a set of conventional rims and tires and alternate between the nearly 50 year-old Paris-Sport and my Trek Zektor 2.

I have no idea of today's value of this bike, but this one is just one-owner... me.
Old 06-17-20, 10:16 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
I am trying, but reading an essay.......
Old 06-18-20, 08:22 AM
OLDTMR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I am trying, but reading an essay.......
Sorry if it bored you... 85% of it is about the bike and the components. I figured people who were interested in Paris Sport's history and details might find it worthwhile reading.
Old 06-18-20, 05:07 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Photos? Sounds like an interesting bike
Old 06-18-20, 06:28 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 635 Posts
Seems like an interesting bike based on description I would place it as a nicer mid level French bike from the boom era. Haven't heard of a Paris Sport could you clarify is this the Brand or the model? Looking forward to seeing some nice pics.
Old 06-18-20, 07:18 PM
WGB 
WGB

IIRC Dave Moulton of Fuso fame made those or at least a model called "Paris Sports" at one time so pictures would be nice....
Old 06-19-20, 07:09 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
IIRC Dave Moulton of Fuso fame made those or at least a model called "Paris Sports" at one time so pictures would be nice....

Giuseppe Limongi also worked at Paris Sports before relocating to Canada.
Old 06-19-20, 07:16 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I had Paris Sport repaint one of my bikes and they did a crummy job. Paris Sport imported bikes to sell under its label, right? At least that was my impression.
Old 06-20-20, 07:30 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Imported from France and had builders come in for the race bike crowd.

this reads one of the imported bikes, about on the level of a Peugeot PR10.

as to the tires, first check the integrity of the glue bond to the rims. Might consider Miyata tire tape. Time suggests that should be renewed, check the side walls and tread, trouble... replace.
good tires are not cheap, yellow jersey serviso course tires an acceptable value. I use Vittoria Ralleys in 23mm- cheap, well were cheap.

size of the frame effects value
condition
bike is old enough to need a service

From my experience few and far between are the folk willing to fuss with tubulars unless a “pro level” bike.
Old 06-20-20, 07:32 AM
WGB 
WGB

OLDTMR
Photos.
Must have photos!
Seriously, it sounds great just need to see it.