Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I did it guys... my first fall!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I did it guys... my first fall!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-20, 12:20 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
TIP: Shift to low gear on the stops until you get used to it.
Old 07-19-20, 12:27 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Not everyone.
I learn't with toe straps and cleats which did catch me out a couple of times.
Clipless are comparatively easy and I have always found it natural and easy to unclip.
I went clipless ~25 years ago after ~20 years with toe straps. Clipless was a revelation - no more reaching down to loosen the strap when coming to a stop. I practiced clipping in and out with the bike in a doorway for a couple of minutes, had a bit of a wobbly at the first red light, but that was the first and last time. It’s second nature, and while I can’t do a track stand, I’m comfortable remaining clipped in as I slow the bike to near-stationary while waiting for a light to change - I can always kick out in a split second if necessary.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 07-20-20, 12:30 PM
N1CKV

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek Domane AL2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My biggest issue with being clipped in is that I forget.... Ride 20 miles and I just completely forget that my foot isn't on the pedal just because that is where I put it. I go to move it down and I'm going so slow the bike has gone down to at least a 45 degree angle several times. I haven't actually been laid out on the ground (YET!), but I"m sure my time is coming.

Most recently was yesterday, my Sunday riding group stopped for a break. I had my left foot clipped still, I went to put my right foot on a curb and under estimated the height of the curb and almost knocked myself over to the left.

Some of the guys I ride with do a special annual event ride that lasts for a week with ~100 miles/day. They have a pink tu-tu you have to wear for the day if you fall over! lol
Old 07-20-20, 12:39 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by N1CKV

Some of the guys I ride with do a special annual event ride that lasts for a week with ~100 miles/day. They have a pink tu-tu you have to wear for the day if you fall over! lol
Does anyone actually fall over? I wouldn't imagine that many cyclists capable of a 500-700 mile week, would be cloddish enough to fall over. I've seen a few newbs fall over when first trying clipless, but never an experienced cyclist.
Old 07-20-20, 01:12 PM
JS41989

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL5 Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Completed a 25 mile ride yesterday morning without any issues. Seems I got the falling out of my system.