Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Laundry Advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Laundry Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 12:46 PM
mattscq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Laundry Advice

Sure, accuse me of vanity but I figured the summers here only get hotter and hotter so I decided to get a white jersey. There was a sale on Rapha and I picked up one of their Classic II jerseys made from some sort of merino wool blend. I've worn it maybe 3 times and handwashed it with a gentle detergent twice but I've noticed some yellowing in the collar and most notably lower back areas.

How do you deal with that? Is it safe to use vinegar or hydrogen peroxide which seems to be what a lot of websites are suggesting for natural fiber discolored whites? Anything (aside from chrlorine bleach) I should avoid?
Old 09-08-20, 04:15 PM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I wash my Rapha kit in the washing machine, never had any problems and comes out clean!

Last edited by sw20; 09-08-20 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-08-20, 04:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Try some Tide Ultra or comparable Gain liquid detergent, and smear some directly onto the stained areas. Let it set for about 30 minutes, then handwash normally, using a soft sponge on the collar and stained areas.

Try dabbing with the sponge first, rather than scrubbing, to avoid roughing up the fabric and driving the stains in deeper. On delicate fabrics I'll use some white toilet paper or paper towel behind the fabric white dabbing from the front. If the stain is releasing you'll see it on the white toilet paper or paper towel.

Give the jersey plenty of time in a good enzyme laundry detergent -- Tide, Gain, etc. I'll often soak my grungy bike apparel for 30-60 minutes before rinsing. I use the tub, or a 5-gallon mop bucket in the tub.

Hydrogen peroxide won't hurt most fabrics. I've used it on my poly wicking fabric cycling clothes and other fabrics. No problems.

(The following two methods might remove the lanolin and natural oils in merino wool, so try 'em only if the above doesn't work.)

If that doesn't work, move on to the semi-hard stuff: Fels-Naptha (that's how Fels spells it). Fels isn't quite as hardcore as it used to be -- I don't think it contains any naphtha anymore. I use it to remove chain grease tattoos from my socks, work clothes when I'm repairing bikes, and even on my hands. Since it no longer contains naphtha it should be safe for skin, and I've had no rashes.

Beyond that, there's real naphtha dry cleaning solution. It's a little harder to find nowadays but should still be in most hardware stores and even some large grocery stores.
Old 09-08-20, 07:40 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked 1,979 Times in 954 Posts
Woolite Delicate? No experience with it but it is wool after all.
Old 09-08-20, 11:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Try some Tide Ultra or comparable Gain liquid detergent, and smear some directly onto the stained areas. Let it set for about 30 minutes, then handwash normally, using a soft sponge on the collar and stained areas.

Try dabbing with the sponge first, rather than scrubbing, to avoid roughing up the fabric and driving the stains in deeper. On delicate fabrics I'll use some white toilet paper or paper towel behind the fabric white dabbing from the front. If the stain is releasing you'll see it on the white toilet paper or paper towel.

Give the jersey plenty of time in a good enzyme laundry detergent -- Tide, Gain, etc. I'll often soak my grungy bike apparel for 30-60 minutes before rinsing. I use the tub, or a 5-gallon mop bucket in the tub.

Hydrogen peroxide won't hurt most fabrics. I've used it on my poly wicking fabric cycling clothes and other fabrics. No problems.

(The following two methods might remove the lanolin and natural oils in merino wool, so try 'em only if the above doesn't work.)

If that doesn't work, move on to the semi-hard stuff: Fels-Naptha (that's how Fels spells it). Fels isn't quite as hardcore as it used to be -- I don't think it contains any naphtha anymore. I use it to remove chain grease tattoos from my socks, work clothes when I'm repairing bikes, and even on my hands. Since it no longer contains naphtha it should be safe for skin, and I've had no rashes.

Beyond that, there's real naphtha dry cleaning solution. It's a little harder to find nowadays but should still be in most hardware stores and even some large grocery stores.
Euculan.
Old 09-09-20, 01:06 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Are you wearing a base layer? Do you wash your cycling kit immediately after riding? I've noticed my white base layer has the same yellowing as you describe, except with mine it's only around the collar. My guess is that it's bacterial stains from not washing immediately. I guess that's why white jerseys go on sale often.
Old 09-09-20, 08:02 AM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Are you wearing a base layer? Do you wash your cycling kit immediately after riding? I've noticed my white base layer has the same yellowing as you describe, except with mine it's only around the collar. My guess is that it's bacterial stains from not washing immediately. I guess that's why white jerseys go on sale often.
I don't usually wear a baselayer but the most yellowed spot is usually covered up by my bib anyway. I've emailed Rapha to see what they think. Will report back!
Likes For mattscq: