Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New member, old rider here ... Intro and new bike on order

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 08:50 AM
KiwiDallas

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts

I've been lurking here for months, so I though I should get legit, join up, and say hi. This forum has been really helpful for information (and opinions) on current bikes.

Early 60s, always been a road rider. Used to be sorta fast, now I'm sorta slow. I ride a 10-to-15-mile loop around a city lake on the road/trail (White Rock, if anyone's in North Texas) - a great amenity with remarkably bad pavement. It probably adds up to 1,000 miles a year or so. Maybe more; I don't keep track.

My first good bike was a Specialized Allez back in the early 90s, I think. Then I got a really good bike in 2005, the Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple. My first carbon frame and even I could feel the difference. Rides like a Cadillac, drives like a BMW. Came with Ultegra and 105 components; I had most of the moving parts replaced and refreshed a couple years ago by my LBS.

With this work from home regime in this strange Covid summer, I can ride more often. While I have no complaints with the '05 Roubaix, I did get the itch for a new one. It's been 15 years. Guitarists call it GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). You know ... shiny sleek new bikes. I don't delude myself that a new bike makes the hills any easier or me any faster, but ... well, crisp shifting and a better ride are always appealing.

I've been out of the gear loop for the last 15 years, so I had to get caught up on all the new technology. CF frames continue to evolve. Whoa - hydraulic disc brakes are now standard? Tubeless is becoming normal? Who is SRAM? Stuff like that. At least I still recognize Shimano 105 and Ultegra.

This forum was pretty helpful in getting caught up. I think I used to be a member here long ago, but the forum software didn't recognize any of my proposed handles.

After reading, researching, and riding some bikes at the LBS, I plunked down a deposit for a 2021 Specialized Roubaix Sport. The Future Shock stem sold me on another Specialized. I really, really need a softer ride, especially up front, since I also play guitar* and I've had numb fingers and wrists from riding.

As all of you know - and as I had to learn the hard way - most bike retailers are basically out of bikes this Covid summer, so this one's going to be a factory order. Maybe it will arrive in late November. That's fine, I can wait; it's not like you can't ever go riding during the winter months here in North Texas. And my LBS made sure to mention they'd like to make a trade-in offer on my '05 Roubaix. I'm not expecting much for that old bike, but since when did bike shops want your old bike at all?

I'll be back with annoying questions about gear and such. Still have to get up to speed on pedals and something called a MIPS helmet? More to follow.

--K

*In re guitars: I was online pals years ago with Peter Cotsis, a/k/a PatentCAD, on various guitar forums. I understand he was a regular here, and equally a legend for his strong opinions, excellent gear, and real-world experience. He was just the same way on the guitar boards, believe me. We were all in shock, over in Guitar Land, to hear he was killed this summer riding his bike.