Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 04:02 PM
alex_74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man there are some crazy looking bikes on this thread.
Old 10-02-20, 07:54 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by smallfrontwheel
Well thanks for the hospitality partnaaaah.....

I moseyed on down to my local watering hole and strung up my Cinelli to the hitching post and went in to get a whiskey

Saw some lasses with moustaches

Instead of a dance and some romance that was swell

One of the she devils lifted me over her head and used me as a bar bell

So now I am going to Japan, where the bicycles and women are fair and on their upper lip there is no hair

That is where I will get my own Zunow..........it is less risky

Well, that sounded like a bard's song in a Dungeons and Dragons campaign (Joe King here) plan! I guess one owns a Zunow on or outside these pages is envied by many and not without reasons.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-02-20, 08:02 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

I imagine one of these is easy to get.
As I see not even the original Bianchi Proto Crono is popping up on in the ads every week, and its "badge engineered" sibling must be even rarer.
I remember this bike, it is the absolute fav of Old Fireleg who wote, that it was only used in the team for one year. Back when he posted it, there was the road version for sale here in Germany for 14k EUR, guess this might be a tad more expensive especially with those Silva wheels, IF someone would give it away.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-04-20, 01:06 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Well, I haven’t been thru every page but I happened upon this Rossin lugged Columbus at a yard sale while riding today. I put it on the c&v Appraisal Forum, But this is a good thread to ask about REHN wheel? Shimano600 SIS. Front rim looks toast. Estimate of value?

Old 10-04-20, 09:49 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Well, I haven’t been thru every page but I happened upon this Rossin lugged Columbus at a yard sale while riding today. I put it on the c&v Appraisal Forum, But this is a good thread to ask about REHN wheel? Shimano600 SIS. Front rim looks toast. Estimate of value?

You didn’t ask the seller how much they want for it? Looks like a sweet rust free lo-pro in great condition!
Old 10-04-20, 11:51 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
^^^^Agreed, I think the evaluation of 250 was very low....frame alone would be worth that, that is if you could find one. What was wrong with the front wheel, cracked brake wear?
I hope that you at least got a contact number.
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-04-20, 12:32 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
^^^^Agreed, I think the evaluation of 250 was very low....frame alone would be worth that, that is if you could find one. What was wrong with the front wheel, cracked brake wear?
I hope that you at least got a contact number.
Best, Ben
The front wheel seemed to have damage to the road side of the rim, like it had been ridden without a tire.

Sorry I can't give more info. I only looked at it briefly, the seller is not a bicycle guy. There is a county dump not far from the seller and i'm guessing that's where it came from.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-04-20 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-04-20, 12:47 PM
xiaoman1 

The front wheel seemed to have damage to the road side of the rim, like it had been ridden without a tire.

Sorry I can't give more info. I only looked at it briefly, the seller was an 'unusual' fellow, not a bicycle guy. There is a county dump not far from the seller and i'm guessing that's where it came from.
Wildwood,
OK, thanks,
Best, Ben
Old 10-04-20, 02:16 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Someone posted on bicycles stackexchange looking for info on this bike. Reynolds 753 tubing. Cinelli BB shell. Serial number on BB is DA followed by 4-digit number. Poster claimed that bike was used in the 1988 Olympics or a Commonwealth games around that time. Anyone have ideas what it might be?

Here is a link to the SE post:

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...-number-daxxxx
Old 10-04-20, 02:34 PM
Lattz

I am no expert but that frame is not one I have seen done by Rossin. I am not saying it is a fake but it is possible someone put Rossin decals on a non Rossin. Take a look at the Rossins on this thread and you will see what I mean. The frames from them usually look different. As far as the back wheel I am used to seeing RENN not REHN. Again, might be fake. I have serious doubts that is the name of a real company that made disc wheels.

Are there any markings on the bottom of the bb shell?

If it is just a generic tt bike and wheel I would say two hundred and fifty dollars. If you can prove that it is a Rossin then the frame could be worth four hundred because that frame is not sought after as far as I know. Unless it turns out it is a really rare Rossin that some fanatic Rossin collector is dying to have. With these things beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So the bottom line is you should try to get more info on the bike ......as far as what it is. Also cracks and dents and new decals and rust all devalue as I am sure you know.

Anyone else have any idea?
I would make a guess and say it's a resprayed Rossin 4400 Cromor from '88. When I first saw it, wanted to qoute you my brother when I send him bike pics: "hope it's in your basement already". The model was originally available with Chorus and 105, and only in red/white, see pic below. I'm not familiar on Rossin prices over the pond, but in our neigbour, The Netherlands, a bare frame (with orig livery) was sold for ~EUR500. Rossin made lo pros even earlier, which are loosely similar but the 4400 has matching details to this (no head lug "R" cutout, pump peg)
Even if it is hardly anything more than a bare frame, here it would be in the 700-900 EUR range if I exclude the dreamers, who read who Mario Rossin or how famous/expensive the better known Futura became and would shamelessly ask ~1xxx even with SIS and broken wheel.
Regarding the rear wheel, There's a Danish TT guy, Daniel Rehn, I could imagine, this was his training wheel, maybe even his first bike, but this is really a romantic guess/tale.

P.S.: Actually the non-biker/Vespa/Classic car/nameyourpoison guys are the best to buy such things from.

ohh and the pics:

and the Dutch frame:

Last edited by Lattz; 10-04-20 at 03:29 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-04-20, 04:52 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

No, not in my ownership. Really outside of my consideration or needs or desires. A 70 year old man riding a lo-pro Time Trailer might prove embarrassing. Besides, i’d have to Fix it and take it to Marymoor’s velodrome with a black Weinmann Delta brake on the front! holy shat, now I buy a bike around that quirky brake. At a time when I should be holding the headcount steady! IF it could be made to fit, looks small.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-04-20 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-04-20, 04:58 PM
xiaoman1 

No, not in my ownership. Really outside of my consideration or needs or desires. A 70 year old man riding a lo-pro Time Trailer might prove embarrassing. Besides, i’d have to Fix it and take it to Marymoor’s velodrome with a black Weinmann Delta brake on the front! holy shat, now I buy a bike around that quirky brake.
Lattz is correct....when I went back to look I think there's a Rossin panto on the rear stay.
I mentioned the 250 from another member was low, BTW there's is nothing wrong with a 70-year-old and a Lo-Pro....go buy it put it on the wall, unless you want to facilitate ..
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-04-20, 05:14 PM
bg18947

Bikes: 72 Iverson Drag Stripper, 81 Raleigh Super Course, 82 Appel 531, 82 Falcon 753, 83 Pinarello Record SL, 85 Strawberry SL, 97 Cannondale F1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
John Howard's Land Speed Record Bike

Not a time trial, but the Need for Speed!
Likes For bg18947:
Old 10-04-20, 06:00 PM
xiaoman1 

bg18947
In my book, I would say it qualifies.....time, distance and speed...cool read!
Chainring seems small, and the Aero wheel is a little lacking in fineness but it at least has some cool drillium .
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 10-04-20 at 06:03 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-05-20, 07:53 AM
Lattz

Originally Posted by bg18947

Not a time trial, but the Need for Speed!
This is actually really cool. I envy the finesse and courage of such guys who build and ride such things, while sometimes I almost sh... my pants and feel like a superhero on a normal road bike on wet days just by managing to cross a diagonal tram track without licking the stone (again). While many details are oh-wow, I don't get the cantilever brakes.

Last edited by Lattz; 10-05-20 at 07:56 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-05-20, 09:02 AM
Lattz

Wow, impressive detective work Lattz! The high quality of your posts in general though would not make this so unexpected. However, I was shocked because this Rossin is totally unusual to me. Should teach me a lesson. Glad I put some caveats in. I would go with your analysis. I still think that back wheel is some other brand and REHN is just what someone had put on there. It might be a quality wheel though....wish there was a way to know what brand it is.
Thanks, had the pleasure to dig through a few thousand Rossin pics when I tried to research mine. I stand by my idea that REHN is the Danish guy as the sticker looks like that until something else does not prove it differently.
Anyway the wheel is nice looking with that big a55 hub flange seemingly without screws I like it.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-05-20, 11:38 AM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
Krono TT on Sunday riding in Long Beach near the ports.

Likes For malcala622:
Old 10-05-20, 01:58 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by AeroGut
Someone posted on bicycles stackexchange looking for info on this bike. Reynolds 753 tubing. Cinelli BB shell. Serial number on BB is DA followed by 4-digit number. Poster claimed that bike was used in the 1988 Olympics or a Commonwealth games around that time. Anyone have ideas what it might be?

Here is a link to the SE post:

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...-number-daxxxx

I afraid, we are outta luck here. This seems to be one of the hundreds of good, most likely British (but could be French or Australian) builders.

Whatever it is its a nicely shaped piece, that is sure and I personally do not like the "sprayed under LSD influence" paintjob (but respect that for others this is the wow factor), so I'm happy the owner gave mercy by painting it white. Fork is most likely not original (I think it is Columbus Air), although it is hardly a useful info.
Old 10-08-20, 07:42 AM
Lattz

While generally I try to avoid (re)posting bikes, which are among the big classics (and fill majority of the thread's pages not without reason though), here I make an exception, as I have found them interesting because of the context.
I popped into a nice magazine copy from Japan most likely from '89 showing the bikes above JPY 1 million. Since it does not say a lot how much 1Mio was back then, the top shelf Bianchi X4 costed JPY~320k, and a new Toyota Supra ~3Mio. Of course the comparison is not fair, since these were (including the Bianchi) top shelf import goodies versus the Supra, but if anybody knows the '89er prices for top shelf Japanese bikes, let us know.
However it was, these bikes are out of this world in my opinion.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-08-20, 10:29 AM
icemilkcoffee 

What material is that Bottecchia Kronostrada made out of? If that’s all steel that is an amazing amount of panel beating done to create that intricate aero frame.
Old 10-08-20, 03:23 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
What material is that Bottecchia Kronostrada made out of? If that’s all steel that is an amazing amount of panel beating done to create that intricate aero frame.
MY assumption is that the (plastic/kevlar/godknows) fairing is plastered/molded/younameit'ed onto the steel frame. For that seatstay-seat tube connection it would be tons of metal to weld/braze it, but who knows? Meanwhile found out, that my silly price comparison was really rough, as the article title only says "over 1Mio Yen" but this costed 2.3 Mio. well over one.

Last edited by Lattz; 10-08-20 at 03:31 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-08-20, 04:52 PM
Lattz

Here's a nice modern steel, which has big-A55, fillet brazed fairings, however I still think, that this is not the case with the Crono Strada,

Source: Bristol n' Brooklyn
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-08-20, 07:08 PM
icemilkcoffee 

That is some insane sheet metal artistry with that Herten bike.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 10-08-20, 07:32 PM
xiaoman1 

I remember seeing 2 lasers on the net that were crack at the lugs and wondered if in fact they were finished with metal brazing or if it was possible that a plastic filler could have been used to smooth out some of those clean lines.
Anyway a few more images for the group.
These may have already been posted but worth a look again, all business and just look fast while standing still!

New meaning to Lo-Pro!
Bertoni is still stalled .
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 10-08-20 at 07:37 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-09-20, 08:21 AM
Lattz

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
That is some insane sheet metal artistry with that Herten bike.
Oh yeah. But also it was not the painters first day of airbrushing I guess. It looks simple but nice.... looks simple.... sometimes i play with the idea to airbrush one of my frames then somerhing like this comes up and.... no frame would deserve a fate like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.