Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What mastermind came up with this?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What mastermind came up with this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 03:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6329 Post(s)
Liked 4,916 Times in 3,387 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Shamefully I bought an AMC Hornet with an automatic. But it reliably took me through the rest of college.

John
I had an AMC Gremlin for last years of high school and most of college. Talk about shame! <grin>
Old 11-14-20, 03:58 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 2,199 Times in 1,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I had an AMC Gremlin for last years of high school and most of college. Talk about shame! <grin>
Even though people hated them, I didn’t mind the Gremilns.

At least it wasn’t a Pacer... lol!

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-14-20, 04:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,762 Times in 2,560 Posts
any of the tubeless plug kits except the Stans version would work to fix that probably. Probably need more sealant though.
Old 11-14-20, 05:32 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Even though people hated them, I didn’t mind the Gremilns.

At least it wasn’t a Pacer... lol!

John
or J H Murphy, not a Pinto...
I remember as a kid being in a Pinto sometimes and even then thinking it was kinda dumb looking.
Old 11-14-20, 05:46 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
[QUOTE=djb;21790421]
Originally Posted by tkamd73

thats a Spit isnt it in the garage? I see the very odd one around here, and last summer I spotted and chatted with a guy in pristine TR8, hadnt seen one of those in decades and decades. Grew up across the street from a British car garage, so being a car nut, got to see and know all about you name it, TR2s, 3s, XK120, 140, bugeyed sprites, etc etc etc. Ran by a friendly British guy.
Its is a Triumph, but it’s a TR6, not a Spitfire.
Tim
Old 11-14-20, 06:27 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
[QUOTE=tkamd73;21790607]
Originally Posted by djb

Its is a Triumph, but it’s a TR6, not a Spitfire.
Tim
geez, I blew that one. Would have known if the nose was exposed more. Always loved the delicious sound of that six. Mind you, a jag or Aston Martin straight six of the late50s and 60s gives me goosebumps also. Ever watched any of the Goodwood Revival? Proper, no hanging about door to door racing in the tourist trophy races and engine music to give you a...err..a rising.
the spits and tr6's always have so much rear camber, always remember that.
cheers
Old 11-15-20, 12:00 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mfr. branded tire? Not surprising I guess, put a real brand on your wheels.
Originally Posted by trailangel
Never leave a GF on the side of a trail by herself.
TC is going to not only have a flat tire he's going to end up single
Old 11-15-20, 09:42 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 71 Posts
Just a little update. I slit the membrane down the middle and inverted the tire. Trimming the rest of it out past that point was a breeze, it's sort of a rubberized fabric and cut easily and cleanly. I cleaned up what I could which wasn't much and put a tube in it. It held fine for my 65k ride yesterday so mission accomplised.

Old 11-15-20, 09:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
any of the tubeless plug kits except the Stans version would work to fix that probably. Probably need more sealant though.
I'm curious, why not the Stan's? I carry one but haven't had to use it.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-15-20, 09:48 PM
Ryan_M

As a side note I got my new tires today. The tires that I found that I liked, and weren't at an insanely inflated price, and were available within less than a week were Continental Speed Rides. So I'm going to tubes, neither here nor there for me. Just for fun I pulled out the scale. The one good Giant tire weighed 922g, the Conti is 588g. That's nearly 700g of rotating mass I eliminated which sounds significant to me. I'm looking forward to riding it and seeing how it feels!
Old 11-15-20, 09:58 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 739 Posts
Its one of the downsides I see to tubeless, the tires are just heavy. Went to Rocket Rons on the mountain bike and shaved over half a lb even with the tubes. I'm already slow on some of the climbs, don't need to haul an extra half lb up every one of them. Oddly I've also had less flats too.
Old 11-15-20, 10:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12898 Post(s)
Liked 7,823 Times in 4,155 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
As a side note I got my new tires today. The tires that I found that I liked, and weren't at an insanely inflated price, and were available within less than a week were Continental Speed Rides. So I'm going to tubes, neither here nor there for me. Just for fun I pulled out the scale. The one good Giant tire weighed 922g, the Conti is 588g. That's nearly 700g of rotating mass I eliminated which sounds significant to me. I'm looking forward to riding it and seeing how it feels!
Yikes I have 2.8" tires that weigh less than the Giants
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 11-15-20, 10:37 PM
Ryan_M

Never leave a GF on the side of a trail by herself.
Right. Women shouldn't be left freely roaming in public without a man's supervision. Who knows what temptations she wouldn't be able to control herself from.... wait what decade is it? Actually I think her response did a better job than mine:

"You should tell him that hes totally correct and that it was a mistake to leave your poor helpless woman unattended...but that maybe its ok because my family hasn't yet given you the goat dowry to purchase me with...also that you're reconsidering anyway because your other 2 wives are much more obedient..."
Likes For Ryan_M:
Old 11-16-20, 06:38 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 572 Posts
The tires that I found that I liked, and weren't at an insanely inflated price, and were available within less than a week were Continental Speed Rides.
The Speed Rides are great tires at a great price. They're relatively light (though they should weigh 440g for the foldable ones and 500g for the wire beads, per Conti's website!), foldable (if you get the non-reflex version), versatile, comfortable, quick, and inexpensive. I suspect you'll feel a big difference in them compared with the old Crosscuts you had.
Old 11-16-20, 08:07 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Just a little update. I slit the membrane down the middle and inverted the tire. Trimming the rest of it out past that point was a breeze, it's sort of a rubberized fabric and cut easily and cleanly. I cleaned up what I could which wasn't much and put a tube in it. It held fine for my 65k ride yesterday so mission accomplised.

Nice job, I would have done the same. Still don't know what Giant was thinking.
Old 11-16-20, 08:20 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Right. Women shouldn't be left freely roaming in public without a man's supervision. Who knows what temptations she wouldn't be able to control herself from.... wait what decade is it? Actually I think her response did a better job than mine:

"You should tell him that hes totally correct and that it was a mistake to leave your poor helpless woman unattended...but that maybe its ok because my family hasn't yet given you the goat dowry to purchase me with...also that you're reconsidering anyway because your other 2 wives are much more obedient..."
Haha. That's not what I said. Obviously you are not married, don't have any children or a single care in the world.

Last edited by trailangel; 11-16-20 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-16-20, 09:03 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts

Hilarious, love her sense of humor!
Likes For jadocs:
Old 11-16-20, 09:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6329 Post(s)
Liked 4,916 Times in 3,387 Posts

In that case maybe you should keep an emergency supply of graham crackers to leave with those watching the bikes unsupervised. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-16-20, 11:05 AM
Ryan_M

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The Speed Rides are great tires at a great price. They're relatively light (though they should weigh 440g for the foldable ones and 500g for the wire beads, per Conti's website!), foldable (if you get the non-reflex version), versatile, comfortable, quick, and inexpensive. I suspect you'll feel a big difference in them compared with the old Crosscuts you had.
Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about these tires, nice to hear one more! I got the foldable and IIRC the actual weight for just the tire was pretty bang on the published spec. Sorry I should have been more specific, the 588g weight for the Conti was tire plus tube. I was curious what the total installed weight difference would be over the tubeless Frankensteins that the Giants are. So that 334g per wheel that I saved is a real world number.

Last edited by Ryan_M; 11-16-20 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-16-20, 02:40 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
I guess your bike should have come with the kit Giant describes in this video?
Giant Bicycles: How to fix a flat on an ERT tire
That's just a regular tire repair kit, sans the roughing tool. I've used them to repair car tires (mostly jeep tires) many times.

Old 11-16-20, 04:29 PM
Ryan_M

Haha. That's not what I said.
I understood your comment to say that you feel it was irresponsible to leave my GF alone while I went to get my truck, not sure if there's any other way to interpret that really. But you say that's not what you meant so please clarify.

Obviously you are not married, don't have any children or a single care in the world.
I did mention she was my GF so that would imply we're not married - but good catch! Also not sure what my marital or parental status has to do with any of this.
Old 11-16-20, 06:09 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,083 Times in 1,969 Posts
I understood your comment to say that you feel it was irresponsible to leave my GF alone while I went to get my truck, not sure if there's any other way to interpret that really. But you say that's not what you meant so please clarify.

I did mention she was my GF so that would imply we're not married - but good catch! Also not sure what my marital or parental status has to do with any of this.
just measures how much less income control you might have when making purchase decisions.

Old 11-16-20, 07:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLizard
That's just a regular tire repair kit, sans the roughing tool. I've used them to repair car tires (mostly jeep tires) many times.
The strips are a lot smaller and so are the tools in the bike kits.

Dynaplug also makes a kit specific to tubeless bicycle tires. They came at it from the motorcycle side of hobby-dom
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-17-20, 05:17 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 879 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
I guess your bike should have come with the kit Giant describes in this video?
Giant Bicycles: How to fix a flat on an ERT tire
Anytime the word "proprietary" comes up in the first 30 seconds of a how to video; you're in trouble.
Old 11-18-20, 05:08 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
I carry a spare tube, precut tyvek pieces for tire boots, 2 pedros yellow plastic tire levers, and a mini pump. In 10 minutes I had the tire booted, good tube in, wheel back on, and pumped up plenty hard to finish my ride. What system is better than that?
The one where my chauffeur steps out of the Rolls and replaces the wheel so that two minutes later I can continue to enjoy my ride?