Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Parts Shortage - any light at the end of the tunnel?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-20, 01:36 AM
speyfitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts

Does anyone have any insight into the bike parts shortage? I know bikes have been selling like hot cakes but many local shops seem to be sorta catching up on getting some new bike inventory. But the availability of parts like group sets, brakes etc seems to be piece meal at best. This is not just an observation for looking at various online places (don’t tend to buy much online myself) but also from two local bike shops I go to regularly one of which I’m having build up a bike for me but sourcing parts is a big problem. Any insight into if things might eventually hopefully get better or ?
Old 12-12-20, 02:33 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Rumor has it that the major bike manufacturers (Specialized, Giant, Merida, and many others) have made significant investments to assist Shimano in expanding their production capacity, especially for the mid-tier components spec'd on most bikes. No idea what this means...added facilities? lines? more working hours? Also, consider how the bike industry actually programs it's supply...it has to do it by the bike manufacturers first looking out 18-24 months due to the complex supply chains it deals with for sourcing components. Is current demand projected to remain at the levels we witnessed through most of 2020?

Here's the reality. Without Shimano increasing it's capacity, we will simply have to wait for demand to return to "before times" levels. And, rumors aside, that might be the plan, because prior to COVID, Shimano seemed able to provide all the parts required to build/sell new bikes and keep the market generally able to support replacement part demands. If Shimano were to build new facilities or lines, those are significant capital investments that may not come on line for many months, and if demand goes down, would be wasted capacity. In the short term, ramping up use fo their existing capacity to 100% use makes the most sense, and has probably already been handled.

That all said, these things have a way of getting better, because markets. The manufacturers will adjust their production as required to maximize their profits. Consumers will adapt their demand to the supply available, and pricing (anyone notice that multiple bicycle companies boosted prices at the end of November by up to 10% on most available stock?). Once those happen the system returns to equilibrium unit the next "upset."
Old 12-12-20, 09:25 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Shimano can split the difference on growth estimates. Surely growth will cool after the pandemic, but human population is expanding and so is the integration of cycling into transportation plans.

I also wonder about how easily certain facilities could be re-purposed. Some surgical parts are manufactured in a way that's similar to some bike parts - it'd have to be easier to repurpose a bike part factory for that than start from the ground up?
Old 12-12-20, 09:45 AM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 37 Posts
shipping problems

There are also some odd shipping problems to deal with (and wait on). The last two shipping company deliveries to my house came by RENTED Uhaul box trucks. Covid concerns is causing driver and delivery chain gaps. Two local drivers/truck for hire that usually handle odd lot runs for large companies told me they were not taking runs which required crossing certain state lines which require Covid testing and then a quarantine or lockdown time stranding them or locking them out of work for two weeks.
Old 12-12-20, 12:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 6,096 Times in 3,108 Posts
Considering the vaccine rollout plans here and abroad and the challenge of administering to so many people, including factory workers, as well as the factors mentioned above, it might take until Fall of next year for stocks to be replenished. Not to mention factories don’t want to overbuild for a bump in demand which will no doubt level off and most likely recede a bit. We are living in an unprecedented time, excluding the 1918 pandemic, and it will take time for life to resume the old normal.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-13-20, 05:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4521 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,824 Posts
It will get better once COVID-19 is over and we figure out the new normal and can kind of settle back in. There is no good time line for anyone yet because everything is up in the air. Thanks to the U.S. government's abhorrent handling of this pandemic it is making it a lot harder to get stuff as people don't want to ship stuff to us. A lot of these companies are also having to fulfill OEM orders and are probably doing those first. For shops you have to get the stuff right away and some shops aren't always ordering as soon as something comes in stock and usually by the time they get to it, it is out.
Old 12-13-20, 05:48 PM
Medium Size Dog

Bikes: 98 Trek 6000 MTB, 70's mutant St. Etienne

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
This is not so good news for major manufacturers who would hopefully use these events as an opportunity to better manage their shipping and cooperative manufacturing networks. Not so good news for an industry focused on producing lots of new bright and shiny stuff at all quality and price levels for a market that's not always there. Not so good for the people repairing newish bikes with parts that should probably have been better quality to begin with. It's better news for the whole secondary market that is keeping older bikes and parts up and running and in circulation which benefits the people who want the bikes instead of throwing them away and more directly benefits the people who get their hands dirty fixing them up who get to see their good work valued and maybe make some much needed money.
Old 12-13-20, 08:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
It has definitely gotten better. Depends on your needs. Probably be a couple of years before everything gets totally back to normal. I recently tried to order a rim brake rim and it was a real pain to find anything at all.
Old 12-14-20, 06:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by speyfitter
Does anyone have any insight into the bike parts shortage? I know bikes have been selling like hot cakes but many local shops seem to be sorta catching up on getting some new bike inventory. But the availability of parts like group sets, brakes etc seems to be piece meal at best. This is not just an observation for looking at various online places (don’t tend to buy much online myself) but also from two local bike shops I go to regularly one of which I’m having build up a bike for me but sourcing parts is a big problem. Any insight into if things might eventually hopefully get better or ?
What part are you looking for? Maybe we can help you find that part, rather than speculate about the broad category of "parts". Everything is available in you know how to look and are willing to pay and/or wait.

EDIT: Does it have to be a new part, if a used part will work?
Old 12-14-20, 07:35 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked 4,949 Times in 2,281 Posts
No problem getting parts for any upgrades on my vintage bikes.
You need a friction shifter in your quiver.

Tires from UK in days.
Even the Delta cleats from China (for cheap) came 2 weeks early.
Winter riding shoes were on back order about 3 weeks.