Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Canyon flush top cap?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Canyon flush top cap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-21, 09:46 AM
mattscq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Canyon flush top cap?

So in all of Canyon's marketing material, probably for the sake of looking cool, all their bikes show a slammed stem with a flush top cap. I've finally dialed in my fit and I would like to clean up the 2 spacers above my stem. There seems to be a large contingent of people who recommend keeping 2-5mm above the stem, especially for carbon steerers. Does anybody have any experience with this? I would prefer to cut it flush. Ideas?

Thanks
Old 03-02-21, 09:51 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 3,973 Times in 2,363 Posts
Some fork manufacturers require some steerer above the stem or warranties might be voided. I would most certainly NOT cut the steerer if only 2cm were above the slammed stem. What a way to cut away future options, what a way to reduce the resale value. All for a few grams of weight and some miss spent dream of looking like a sponsored pro. But it's your bike and your body so do as you will. Andy
Old 03-02-21, 09:54 AM
mattscq

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Some fork manufacturers require some steerer above the stem or warranties might be voided. I would most certainly NOT cut the steerer if only 2cm were above the slammed stem. What a way to cut away future options, what a way to reduce the resale value. All for a few grams of weight and some miss spent dream of looking like a sponsored pro. But it's your bike and your body so do as you will. Andy
Oh no, there's more than 2mm above my stem, it's 2 spacers. A thought is also if you were to stack all the spacers in below the stem, the top cap would be flush anyway.
Old 03-02-21, 10:10 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 3,973 Times in 2,363 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq
Oh no, there's more than 2mm above my stem, it's 2 spacers. A thought is also if you were to stack all the spacers in below the stem, the top cap would be flush anyway.
I didn't say 2mm I said 2cm. BTW referring to a dimension with a non specific term like "spacer" can be cause of confusion. The reasons to place spacers below the stem is only that of fitting the rider's position, not to make the top of the stem flush. The reason to have a few mms of steerer above the stem is to reduce the carbon steerer's wanting to crack from the clamping pressure the stem applies. If you have found your fit and if that has some steerer above the stem and if that steerer is a carbon one then I think you should just add the needed spacers to make the top cap preload the headset properly and go ride the bike. Humans get so wrapped up in thinking about how they think others see them. I generally think about how my fellow riders are handling their bike and the changing situations during the ride then where their stems are. Andy
Old 03-02-21, 10:37 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5092 Post(s)
Liked 8,404 Times in 3,971 Posts
Depending on the design of the compression nut, it may provide support around the top of the steerer tube, which eliminates concerns about the connection loosening over time due to the tube getting crushed. Paying attention to the correct torque on the stem bolts is also critical. It's your bike. If you want to trim the steerer to suit your fit and appearance preferences, go for it. Just be aware of the future limitations it may have on fit adjustments for yourself and others. If you're going for a flush top cap, it's still best to leave the steerer as long as possible inside the stem (trim it only enough to get the top cap flush) to keep as much stem-steerer contact area as you can.
Old 03-02-21, 10:37 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 1,106 Times in 771 Posts
I agree 100% with Andrew. Unless there is some sound reason for structural safety or you have 100mm of steerer above the stem then I see no reason to cut.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 03-02-21 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-02-21, 10:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6351 Post(s)
Liked 4,953 Times in 3,411 Posts
I never notice how much steerer tube and spacer are on top of some ones stem when I pass them. So I'd suggest you just not worry about it. Leaves you with options and I think a more saleable item when you decide to get rid of it. Forks are expensive so a savvy buyer will be looking at things like that.

I suppose if I were to sit in the living room with my bike in front of me, it might bug me aesthetically, but it doesn't. My bike is in the other room.
Old 03-02-21, 11:19 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
So in all of Canyon's marketing material, probably for the sake of looking cool, all their bikes show a slammed stem with a flush top cap. I've finally dialed in my fit and I would like to clean up the 2 spacers above my stem. There seems to be a large contingent of people who recommend keeping 2-5mm above the stem, especially for carbon steerers. Does anybody have any experience with this? I would prefer to cut it flush. Ideas?

Thanks
I cut off my steerer ~2 mm below the stem - always planned to do it, because I hate the look of a "chimney". However, I rode the bike for ~1 year before I did it, so I was well and truly sure that the setup was right for me. I have a long expander plug in the steerer, the upper stem bolt is below the top of the cut steerer, I'm careful torquing everything, and I pull the top cap periodically to inspect the steerer for cracks or anything fishy. I'm not concerned about resale - riding around with a chimney that I'd hate just to convenience The Next Guy is like leaving the plastic on the sofa.
IIRC one poster here (DaveSSS, I think) installs a permanent "plug" by filling the top couple of inches with epoxy - one possible way to allay fears of compromising structural integrity with a flush-cut steerer

Last edited by Litespud; 03-02-21 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-02-21, 11:31 AM
mattscq

It's funny that a lot of people think I'm doing this only because I care about what other people think but I know nobody cares. It's entirely for myself. I'm not concerned about the resale issue either. I'm not slamming it down unreasonably; I'm merely removing a couple cm to tidy up the top. I'm more interested in what people's opinions are regarding the structural issue. I can understand that it might be a concern if the stem doesn't grip the steerer entirely but if the steerer is flush with the top of the step, why would that be a possible weakpoint?

To complicate things, Canyon seems to have given me 2 answers: one is to leave 2mm above and one is that it's fine to be flush. Interestingly, all their imagery shows it flush.

Last edited by mattscq; 03-02-21 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-02-21, 11:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6351 Post(s)
Liked 4,953 Times in 3,411 Posts
It's funny that a lot of people think I'm doing this only because I care about what other people think but I know nobody cares. It's entirely for myself. I'm not concerned about the resale issue either. I'm not slamming it down unreasonably; I'm merely removing a couple cm to tidy up the top. I'm more interested in what people's opinions are regarding the structural issue. I can understand that it might be a concern if the stem doesn't grip the steerer entirely but if the steerer is flush with the top of the step, why would that be a possible weakpoint?
Differences in the way different materials deal with stresses. Typically I see it recommended that carbon steerers be left a few millimeters above the top of the stem. In that case you'll have to have at least one small spacer unless your cap handles that. Steel steerers I usually will see the mfr says it's okay to cut them just shy of the top of the stem.
Old 03-02-21, 01:07 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 448 Posts
A zipp top cap allows 2mm of steerer above the stem with no spacers. Often called a bottle cap style.
Old 03-03-21, 06:09 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 102 Posts
I cut mine flush. No issues. Looks good. Suits me.
​​​​​​