Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike repair on hold due to parts unavailability?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike repair on hold due to parts unavailability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-21, 06:18 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
If it's a matter of SRAM discontinuing the part(s) you need, well, yeah, but really, that's different from the supply issues many of us are experiencing. I couldn't find a Shimano Ultegra front derailleur anywhere when I was building my latest bike. I actually ended up with a Di2 "Upgrade" kit instead. It wasn't easy finding an 11spd chain, either.

And eventually, all manufacturers will stop making spares for old technology. Most of the "spares" are just excess inventory left over when the newer technology was introduced.
Correct me if I am wrong, Shimano and Campy parts for 10 and 11 speed groups are widely available, right?

The title of the thread is not supply chain restricted. I think any decision to buy an expensive group or bike should take into consideration the manufacturers history and as someone with three Red groups, I am probably going Campy or Shimano forever.

SRAM abandoned 11 speed etap seemingly immediately. Imagine not being able to get parts for a 2 year old car? Ever. It's a brick. Sorry. A $10-12K bike isn't a small purchase for most people.

OP's issue with Canyon may or may not be related to the current situation. I doubt they stock spare forks in any number, which points to the broader issue of customer support.
Old 08-18-21, 06:47 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2404 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Yeah, I'm just a road bike type so all mine are road bikes. Except I just gave my '91 Paramount with a full 105 5800 eleven speed group to my youngest son, so now I only have two bikes. I might be dangerously close to being in your situation.
N+1 time
Originally Posted by TCollen
NOTE TO WIFE: This thread demonstrates why it is important that I maintain 9 emergency backup bicycles.
If my experience holds, she still won't care

Old 08-18-21, 09:33 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Just put an ultegra up front. There are options.
So how you do you resolve the Ultegra pull ratio of 1.7:1 to SRAM's 1:1? Or were we supposed to source a Tiagra 4600 lever, too?

And, by the way, 6600, 6700, and 4600 are just as difficult to come by as SRAM 10-speed.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 08-18-21, 11:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2404 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 1,621 Posts
I ran into the frustration of seemingly not old parts being hard to find with a Ultegra 9 speed (6500) build i did a while back

really it comes down to volume, you can find 40 year old car parts, because the same part was used in virtually millions of cars, so there is enough of a market to cover the inventory holding costs
bike parts are all said and done low volume and highly variated, the cost of inventory, much less keeping old parts in production, is greater than the market value. (you can see some exceptions like the shimano mega range freewheel, but even that you can see the cost savings...fewer size options, made in china instead of malysia (i think) but the made in china seem to have lower production quality (have both)

and of course selling the newest, higher profit margin parts

Old 08-19-21, 01:45 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Our shop is sending people to ebay for parts. Somehow they are able to find what they need there. Unfortunately this does not apply to your situation.
We do most of our part buying on ebay, occasionally amazon and try to avoid AliExpress as much as possible, they are the worst - Too many canceled/undelivered orders. We always buy via PayPal so there is recourse to get our money back. We try to do volume (lot) buying whenever possible for the best value.

Old 08-19-21, 05:02 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
So how you do you resolve the Ultegra pull ratio of 1.7:1 to SRAM's 1:1? Or were we supposed to source a Tiagra 4600 lever, too?

And, by the way, 6600, 6700, and 4600 are just as difficult to come by as SRAM 10-speed.
I used a 11 speed Sram Red shifters on a Red rear derailleur, Ultegra front derailleur with Rotor DXL 59-39 rings to complete PBP in 2015. I found the shimano shifted the nonround rings better than the SRAM. I had to mess with the connections. It worked fine. WRT to your question about pulls. I have no idea. You'd have to ask a professional. I am probably not the best to ask. I am probably wrong. GL
Old 08-19-21, 06:01 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 801 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, Shimano and Campy parts for 10 and 11 speed groups are widely available, right?

The title of the thread is not supply chain restricted. I think any decision to buy an expensive group or bike should take into consideration the manufacturers history and as someone with three Red groups, I am probably going Campy or Shimano forever.

SRAM abandoned 11 speed etap seemingly immediately. Imagine not being able to get parts for a 2 year old car? Ever. It's a brick. Sorry. A $10-12K bike isn't a small purchase for most people.

OP's issue with Canyon may or may not be related to the current situation. I doubt they stock spare forks in any number, which points to the broader issue of customer support.
I guess you and I have different interpretations of the OPs first post. His replacement fork issue is (my opinion) not a matter of Canyon deciding to stop making forks, but more that they don't have a lot of them in stock, probably due to supply side issues on their end.

I don't know about Campy, but I do know (as I had mentioned) that Shimano 11 spd parts are, indeed, in short supply. Does it mean Shimano has decided to stop manufacturing all 11 speed parts? I doubt that. But, one of their factories had a fire, and other supply line issues have affected the availability of replacement components.

According to this article, SRAM has not discontinued their 11 speed parts, just full groupset kits. However, there may be supply side issues to get what you need, just as there is with other manufacturers at this time.
SRAM Red 22 eTap Groupsets - Availability, has it been discontinued? - Glory Cycles
Old 08-19-21, 09:33 AM
oldbobcat

I used a 11 speed Sram Red shifters on a Red rear derailleur, Ultegra front derailleur with Rotor DXL 59-39 rings to complete PBP in 2015. I found the shimano shifted the nonround rings better than the SRAM. I had to mess with the connections. It worked fine. WRT to your question about pulls. I have no idea. You'd have to ask a professional. I am probably not the best to ask. I am probably wrong. GL
Her setup is first-generation Red. 10-speed, pre-yaw, titanium cage on the front derailleur, that she'd worn a hole through. The one that savvy pro tour mechanics were replacing with a cheaper Force unit. The one that caused Andy Schleck to lose the 2010 Tour de France (for which he was retroactively awarded due to Contador's doping ruling). Which version of Ultegra were you using?

Actually, my first question should be, what are you using for a shifter? Is it an indexing doubletap dual control lever or is it a non-indexing bar-end?

Last edited by oldbobcat; 08-19-21 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-20-21, 05:54 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Just for fun I went to the BH website and looked in to ordering a new G8. All of the bikes, regardless of size, are reporting as sold out. The parts shortage is across the board, hitting LBS, EOM, and the home repair guys and gals. From what I've been seeing/reading, the problem will not resolve anytime soon.
Old 08-22-21, 08:12 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
So, I'm getting a black fork from Canyon to resolve my cracked steerer tube issue. Not sure what's going on with Canyon -- I think it's as simple as them just not having enough spare parts. My Endurace is a 2019 model and maybe Canyon doesn't paint bikes hellfire red anymore? No extra cans of paint in the back room? I do know that this has been pretty painful process, yet I struggle to fault Canyon because there are so many manufacturers across all industries in the same boat.

I have basically no expectations for when EXACTLY I'll see this new fork. I will have a retired Velofix mechanic doing the work for me as it's just a bit more than I'd take on myself.

Anyway thanks to the Canyon site and Photoshop I've produced an image that approximates what my hellfire red/stealth black Endurace will look bike. Actually it's not horrible. I guess...

Old 08-23-21, 07:34 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by davethelefty

Anyway thanks to the Canyon site and Photoshop I've produced an image that approximates what my hellfire red/stealth black Endurace will look bike. Actually it's not horrible. I guess...
It'll do. The black fork matches the lettering.
Old 08-24-21, 06:33 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 543 Posts
I have to admit that I've begun looking for and purchasing parts (consumables) whenever I can find them at a decent price. Rather than buying 1 or 2 of my favorite tubes, I'll buy 5. Same thing for brake and shift cables. It's hard enough finding tires I want so when I come across them I grab an extra set. I hate to give the impression that I'm hoarding, but if things are going to get worse before they get better I want to take a bit of the edge off of it.
Old 08-24-21, 06:21 PM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Her setup is first-generation Red. 10-speed, pre-yaw, titanium cage on the front derailleur, that she'd worn a hole through. The one that savvy pro tour mechanics were replacing with a cheaper Force unit. The one that caused Andy Schleck to lose the 2010 Tour de France (for which he was retroactively awarded due to Contador's doping ruling). Which version of Ultegra were you using?

Actually, my first question should be, what are you using for a shifter? Is it an indexing doubletap dual control lever or is it a non-indexing bar-end?
I'm running a GRX RX400 10 speed with Rival 22 shifters. Best front shifting ever. Shimano FD should work with Sram shifters, they get rid of the hyper strong spring tensioned FD as well.

Parts shortage is getting bad though. Had to order, about 2 weeks ago, a rear derailleur from Germany. I'm in UK no stocks here. After which I wanted to order a spare one as well considering every major retailer has an eta of at least jan 2022 for major components, NO more stocks in Germany.
Looked everywhere, was it the last Force 22 Wifli RD in Europe ? Maybe.
Found one in US which is on it's way to me now. I have since ordered a spare Sram cassette and chain just in case.
Old 08-27-21, 02:06 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Update on the fork replacement -- I got a $0 invoice and preliminary shipping info from Canyon, was excited to see my replacement fork on the way. But 2 days later when I went to track the order it had been canceled. Update today is no forks available until October/November. Not too happy about this, and I wonder if with other major manufacturers like Trek, Specialized, Giant I'd be facing a 3-4 month wait on a carbon fork???

I thought this Canyon was going to be my forever bike -- now I'm not so sure...