Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My 1987 Trek 2500

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My 1987 Trek 2500

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-21, 01:34 PM
tlastrange

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
My 1987 Trek 2500

My 1987 Trek 2500. I’m the original owner but did swap a few things from the original configuration.
  • White Selle Italia Turbo Saddle
  • Swapped the CInelli (I think) bar and stem for Modolo
  • Shimano “Look compatible” pedals
  • Rebuilt the wheels with Mavic clinchers rather than tubulars that came with it.
  • The brake hoods disintegrated so I replaced them with Cane Creek hoods. Not a great fit as you can see.
  • Just put some new handlebar tape on

I road/raced this bike for a number of years and it’s pretty much been hanging in my garage for the last 20 or so years. After finding this forum, I realize I now have a classic/vintage bike that I might be able to sell :-)
Likes For tlastrange:
Old 09-30-21, 02:52 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 85 Ironman, 2011 Richard Sachs

Liked 2,236 Times in 1,217 Posts
WHAAAAHT!? Ride it man. Is that a uniglide hub? I dabbled in UG and I recall DA cassettes readily available. Good looking bike. Shimano 1055 or 6403 hoods are available and fit better than those Cane Creeks.
Old 10-01-21, 09:08 AM
tlastrange

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
WHAAAAHT!? Ride it man. Is that a uniglide hub? I dabbled in UG and I recall DA cassettes readily available. Good looking bike. Shimano 1055 or 6403 hoods are available and fit better than those Cane Creeks.
I believe it is a uniglide hub. I'll have to check into those brake hoods, thanks for the pointer.

When you're the original owner of a 1987 bike, I believe that also makes me classic/vintage :-) I'm still contemplating riding vs. selling. I also have a 20-some year old Klein Mantra Race that'll probably get more use just peddling around town.

Thanks
Old 11-15-21, 11:59 PM
Alsobay

Liked 120 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by tlastrange
My 1987 Trek 2500. I’m the original owner but did swap a few things from the original configuration.
  • White Selle Italia Turbo Saddle
  • Swapped the CInelli (I think) bar and stem for Modolo
  • Shimano “Look compatible” pedals
  • Rebuilt the wheels with Mavic clinchers rather than tubulars that came with it.
  • The brake hoods disintegrated so I replaced them with Cane Creek hoods. Not a great fit as you can see.
  • Just put some new handlebar tape on

I road/raced this bike for a number of years and it’s pretty much been hanging in my garage for the last 20 or so years. After finding this forum, I realize I now have a classic/vintage bike that I might be able to sell :-)

These are amazing bikes! Yours in outstanding condition.

Around mid October I came across an ad doing a search for Dura-Ace and found an ad for a Trek.
made an offer after a quick message exchange and ended up with this. Absolutely pristine 1987 2500. Could be siblings. Seller threw in a bunch of extras.
Old 11-16-21, 02:33 AM
Lazyass

Liked 647 Times in 402 Posts
I love that Dura Ace group. Shifts are so firm.
Old 11-16-21, 07:15 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Liked 223 Times in 114 Posts
Good looking bike. Both of them.