Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

26mm handlebar on Cinelli 1A 26.4mm stem?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-21, 08:33 PM
avhed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

With a minor modification, can you do this? I have seen a stem that will tighten down on smaller bars. Can the 1A be made to do so?
Old 12-06-21, 08:49 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by avhed
With a minor modification, can you do this? I have seen a stem that will tighten down on smaller bars. Can the 1A be made to do so?
use a beer can shim if necessary
Old 12-06-21, 08:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 3,975 Times in 2,363 Posts
I would suggest strongly to shim the bars to the 26.4 spec. A .008" shim stock will work if the shim goes around the bar fully. Which is around the thickness of a soda can. The cost of a crack started stem, but not caught until... is priceless. Andy
Old 12-06-21, 09:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

so, if an auto company supplies a wheel that fits their hubs slightly loose to make at home wheel changes easier, but the wheels fall off due to the differences of fit, they should be absolved of responsibility? Andy
Old 12-06-21, 09:12 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
lol....sorry. Andrew R Stewart if your above reply was in response to the post i just deleted. i didn't see you'd posted before i did that. iow's, i didn't delete what i wrote because of your post. i just realized what i said could be cause for some heat and didn't want to go there. not because i don't back what i wrote, but because heat is not helpful to the OP or topic

i will say i don't think it's entirely fair to compare the circumstances. automobiles have a lot more stress going between their parts.
Old 12-06-21, 10:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

thook- Thanks for the follow up. When I write advice for others I feel the need to, generally, take the high road in safety. Some stems can take the added clamping stresses, others less so. What worries me is that once installed, most critical parts don't get much close up attention and tiny cracks in Al parts can grow quickly. With drop bars the initial warning might be a rotational slipping of the bars. Andy
Old 12-06-21, 10:46 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 691 Posts
the main thing is, if you do this, you are risking a failure of the stem. Aluminum has less tolerance to fatigue cycles than does steel.

Easy to make shims from beer cans, or use brass shim stock. you can buy peel off shim stock at any hard

resist the urge to just "crank it down". I'm with Andrew above. Err on the side of caution. these parts are now 30+ years old

/markp
Old 12-06-21, 11:08 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
thook- Thanks for the follow up. When I write advice for others I feel the need to, generally, take the high road in safety. Some stems can take the added clamping stresses, others less so. What worries me is that once installed, most critical parts don't get much close up attention and tiny cracks in Al parts can grow quickly. With drop bars the initial warning might be a rotational slipping of the bars. Andy
yeah, i get that. and, surely we don't know who we're talking to when making suggestions.
i fall back a little on the fact that cinelli (95% sure it was them) had at one point made a size handlebar or stem....don't recall which....that could fit between two different sizes they offered that weren't too far apart. however, i don't remember the sizes.<<sigh>> i know it's somewhere discussed in the C&V forum. of course, they don't make those parts/sizes anymore and maybe it's because it wasn't a good idea, but i've also not read of anyone having problems even IF those parts are old.
anyway, making concessions can be problem, but nitto and SR (what i've used and tinkered with) making durable parts. i'd like to say cinelli does, too. i just haven't had any practical experience with the brand. is a 1A designed lightweight using lighter material than say a technomic or SR custom quill? if so, maybe it isn't a stem to be experimenting around with. in the end, using a shim is of no detriment. a trimmed up soda can works great, of course. all the better if the bars have a grooved sleeve
Old 12-07-21, 06:33 PM
avhed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
i fall back a little on the fact that cinelli (95% sure it was them) had at one point made a size handlebar or stem....don't recall which....that could fit between two different sizes they offered that weren't too far apart. however, i don't remember the sizes.<<sigh>>
I believe that is the 3 ttt 25.8 bars and a 26.0 stem, which is only half the difference.
Old 12-07-21, 06:36 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by avhed
I believe that is the 3 ttt 25.8 bars and a 26.0 stem, which is only half the difference.
fair enough.