Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Frejus Tour de France, 1960s

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-22, 01:56 PM
fordbailey

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Competition (sn A8326), 1973 Raleigh Competition (sn A4985), 1982 Dawes Atlantis, 1985 Condor, 1990 Trimble 140U, 1990 Trimble 160U, 1974 Free Spirit Ted Williams Racer, 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 10 Posts
Frejus Tour de France, 1960s

I found a Frejus Tour de France model on Craigslist last week. Barn find shape with light to medium rust on the chromed ends. All original as far as I can tell. Cottered crank, Campagnolo hubs and derailleurs. Fenders with tubular tires, Universal brakes.
Asking price is $550, I offered $300. Seller countered at $400 and that's where we stand. I'm going to see it tomorrow.
Any thoughts ? My thinking is that it's worth maybe $350 at most as it is, but I am not an expert on a bike like this.

Thank you for any advice you might be able to give me. I'm attaching a non drive side photo from the seller.

Last edited by fordbailey; 02-15-22 at 02:32 PM.
Likes For fordbailey:
Old 02-02-22, 02:20 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 419 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 3,483 Times in 2,261 Posts
-----

thank you for posting

your valuation and instincts are spot on

if you can come to an agreement with seller then great

if not, do not hesitate to walk...

---

dating -

the machines Tecno Tubo Torino Gran Prix stem with allen expander launched about 1966 and was superseded by the Record model in 1971 so that brackets things somewhat

the backside of the locknuts on the Campag NT hubs will give a specific year

----

wonderful that it is so largely original and without any apparent damage

the Lyotard Berthet pedals are somewhat of an upgrade over the Sheffields it would have come with

cannot quite tell from image if the Gaslos are yet in evidence
if they are then that is a very good plus
if they have gone walkabout you could use the absence in your negotiations with seller
sets on ebay are typically listed at 120USD

---

the cycle's likely importer & seller would have of course been Thomas Avenia of NYC

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-02-22 at 05:15 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-02-22, 02:20 PM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 78 Posts
Try to get a picture of the drive side so everyone can see the crankset. This will help in identifying year. I can see it has universal 61 brakes which were introduced in …you guessed it…1961 but ran until 1970s. Can’t comment on value.
Old 02-02-22, 02:44 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Make sure the stem and seatpost are easily loosened and moved. If either of these is seized it could mean the bike is basically useless.
Old 02-02-22, 04:53 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I think you are on the right track so far as pricing goes. Frejus is one of those brands that doesn't come up in my area, ever. And it is on my list of bikes I'd like to own someday. Probably won't happen.

So if it is a brand you really want to own, and if they don't come around often like they don't here, go for it. Nice that it has fenders too. Very practical. The paint looks nice. The chrome will probably clean up fairly well. And the color is pretty nice!

Good luck.
Old 02-02-22, 05:19 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26482 Post(s)
Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
...out here in the Bay Area, I can see that bike, mostly original as it appears to be, going for $400.
I'm hesitant on any other advice regarding condition, what it will cost you to restore, etc, etc.

I have paid more, for less, and on some occasions gotten more, and paid less.
As time progressed, Frejus put out bicycles that were less and less desirable, but that one is right in the good years.

For myself, if I can get to within 50 or 100 bucks on a deal, for a bike like that as a project, it's my size, and I want to do it, I usually buy it unless there is some obvious red flag issue with extensive rust or missing parts that will be difficult to obtain. You can only tell that in person. Good luck
Old 02-02-22, 05:29 PM
3alarmer

...I bought this one in pretty OK shape from the original owner here. I think it was maybe 500 bucks, but cannot remember for sure what I paid. I still spent money on it, changing out the rims to modern clinchers, and time servicing all the bearings. The previously chromed socks were probably painted by him because of surface rust. This one is from about your era.

...this is a later one, probably from the 70's. It is much the lesser bicycle, and I was disappointed with the ride and handling. Eventually, Frejus disappeared from the marketplace.
Old 02-03-22, 08:05 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 2,254 Times in 1,124 Posts
Hubs are HF Tipo.
I like your assessment. Really tempting isn't it?
Old 02-03-22, 08:39 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 643 Posts
Just remember, its OK to pay OVER FMV for that special bike if you really want it. I rarely do it, but I have done it a couple of times. You have my permission (which of course you do not need).

Now if its just another bike to you, then I would not be so hasty to pay over market. In that case, I think your pricing is spot on.

You are likely never going to see one again in your size and in your town. I've bought bikes I really wanted on eBay. The first challenge is shipping, you would likely pay an additional $100 for shipping. So a $300 bike on eBay quickly becomes a $400 bike delivered to your door. The second hurdle is skilled packing. I've bought three bikes on eBay that were shipped (now I only drive and pick up). Two were packed very poorly, with lots of damage in transit. On one, the seller just put the bike loose in a bike box! No packing, no wrapping, nothing secured. The handlebars were in the box loose, so they proceeded to beat on that bike all the way from Seattle to NC. When I contacted the seller, the response was: "Well I USED A BIKE BOX".
Likes For wrk101:
Old 02-03-22, 08:39 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

...I bought this one in pretty OK shape from the original owner here. I think it was maybe 500 bucks, but cannot remember for sure what I paid. I still spent money on it, changing out the rims to modern clinchers, and time servicing all the bearings. The previously chromed socks were probably painted by him because of surface rust. This one is from about your era.

...this is a later one, probably from the 70's. It is much the lesser bicycle, and I was disappointed with the ride and handling. Eventually, Frejus disappeared from the marketplace.
The geometry of those two are very different. No wonder they don't ride the same. The top one is beautiful.
Old 02-04-22, 08:52 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,798 Times in 963 Posts
If the chrome socks and head tube lugs are surface rust only, then I would not hesitate to pay $400.00 for the bike. My guess is that it is a Garage Queen, bought with good intentions in mind but not ridden much. A stuck seat post or steering stem is not a big deal, in my opinion. Either could set you back fifty dollars or a bit more, but neither are all that difficult to remove. If either, or both, are stuck use that as a bargaining chip.

If the chrome plating shows pitting, then the price would have to come down to $300 or even less. Pitted chrome, for me, is a deal breaker. Surface rust can be cleaned easily with a bit of crumpled up aluminum foil - before...

after...
Old 02-05-22, 01:21 PM
juvela

-----

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post22399697

-----
Old 02-06-22, 09:40 PM
3alarmer

Originally Posted by juvela
...I guess he decided it was too much work. It really is a lot of work.
Old 02-07-22, 08:37 AM
juvela

-----

-----
Old 02-08-22, 01:15 AM
3alarmer

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

-----
...I thought it was the same bike, now for sale to someone else on CL ? I see now it's the same poster.
Old 02-14-22, 09:38 AM
fordbailey

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Competition (sn A8326), 1973 Raleigh Competition (sn A4985), 1982 Dawes Atlantis, 1985 Condor, 1990 Trimble 140U, 1990 Trimble 160U, 1974 Free Spirit Ted Williams Racer, 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport

Hey - I bought the bike. It’s my size and Is better looking than the bad photos show. The seat post is not stuck, and when I find my 7mm hex wrench I’ll try loosening the stem. The Gaslo bar end caps are there, the Nuovo Record derailleur is a “Patent “ model with no year. Nuovo Tipo hubs have “69” year.
thanks to everyone who chimed in to help id and date components and bike.
I’m moving slowly on this as I have several other projects in the works. I want to do this bike justice. It’s my prettiest one.
The only changes I’m thinking about making to it are - clincher wheels and possibly a new (period or close) crank set. Oh - and probably the toe straps.
Sorry about no drive side photos. The weather here has been atrocious and my garage is full at the moment. Adding internal wiring to my Gran Sport and tinkering with the Follis. The bike and the 650b Competition are also vying for attention.
all the best to the BF crew ! I’ll update as soon as possible-

Ford
Ghent, NY
USA
Likes For fordbailey:
Old 02-15-22, 09:27 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5920 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,130 Posts
Originally Posted by fordbailey
Hey - I bought the bike. It’s my size and Is better looking than the bad photos show. The seat post is not stuck, and when I find my 7mm hex wrench I’ll try loosening the stem. The Gaslo bar end caps are there, the Nuovo Record derailleur is a “Patent “ model with no year. Nuovo Tipo hubs have “69” year.
thanks to everyone who chimed in to help id and date components and bike.
I’m moving slowly on this as I have several other projects in the works. I want to do this bike justice. It’s my prettiest one.
The only changes I’m thinking about making to it are - clincher wheels and possibly a new (period or close) crank set. Oh - and probably the toe straps.
Sorry about no drive side photos. The weather here has been atrocious and my garage is full at the moment. Adding internal wiring to my Gran Sport and tinkering with the Follis. The bike and the 650b Competition are also vying for attention.
all the best to the BF crew ! I’ll update as soon as possible-

Ford
Ghent, NY
USA
Very nice. I restored an Olmo from 1960s a few years back; quality road bikes from this era are a lot of fun (and not easy to find). Two things you might want to think about. The first is that there is a lot to be said for the ride on tubulars. Gluing is a bit of a pain especially if you're new to tubulars but you can always switch to tape. The second is that I'd think long and hard before getting rid of that cottered crank. I almost did on my Olmo and I'm glad I did not. There is just something right about a quality steel cottered crank on a bike this old.
Old 02-15-22, 09:37 AM
fordbailey

Originally Posted by bikemig
Very nice. I restored an Olmo from 1960s a few years back; quality road bikes from this era are a lot of fun (and not easy to find). Two things you might want to think about. The first is that there is a lot to be said for the ride on tubulars. Gluing is a bit of a pain especially if you're new to tubulars but you can always switch to tape. The second is that I'd think long and hard before getting rid of that cottered crank. I almost did on my Olmo and I'm glad I did not. There is just something right about a quality steel cottered crank on a bike this old.
Thanks for writing - I have plenty of experience with tubulars. I used to race with them. They do have a nice ride ! I’m looking forward to putting Rene Herse 32 mm extra light tires on this Frejus. They’re fantastic, too.
As long as I can get chainrings for the cottered crank I may still use it.
Im sure your Olmo is nice - they made great bikes !

Ford
Ghent, NY
Old 02-15-22, 10:28 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5920 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,130 Posts
Originally Posted by fordbailey
Thanks for writing - I have plenty of experience with tubulars. I used to race with them. They do have a nice ride ! I’m looking forward to putting Rene Herse 32 mm extra light tires on this Frejus. They’re fantastic, too.
As long as I can get chainrings for the cottered crank I may still use it.
Im sure your Olmo is nice - they made great bikes !

Ford
Ghent, NY
It's tough to wear out steel chainrings if that is what you have. Chainrings for cottered cranks are available on eBay and here as well. My Olmo came with aluminum chainrings and a steel magistroni crank:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...n-sport-2.html

Last edited by bikemig; 02-15-22 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-15-22, 02:35 PM
fordbailey

I had forgotten that I posted before I saw the bike. Then I posted after I bought the bike. I guess the excitement made me forget that I had asked for advice. Thank you everyone who responded.
I'll post photos in the other thread- "Barn Find Frejus".

Ford
Ghent, NY