Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rare Tire Sizes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rare Tire Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-22, 12:51 PM
FoldingSpace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Rare Tire Sizes

Apologies if my search-fu failed me and I'm happy to kill this thread and go to the right one if someone will direct me, but I have an unusual (in the US at least) wheel and tire size conundrum that I'm hoping folks here might be able to help with - or help each other with. My main ask is, do you know of any other alternatives and my secondary ask is "can I use other size tires on those rims (I know I have some latitude with tubes) and the rims have quite high walls.

I have a Tern Eclipse P20 - a folding bike but with "full size" 26 inch Rolf wheels - the recommended and supplied tires are 26" 1.35 - Schwalbe Kojaks. The problem is that there aren't many other alternatives available in the US and those that do exist are often sold out. The sum total I've found available without hefty import fees are:

Schwalbe Kojak (slicks, limited traction)
Schwalbe CX Pro (knobby, soft,, puncture prone)
Schwalbe Marathon Plus (heavy, bulletproof all rounders and my current pick)
Kenda Journey Sport (seem like the Marathons but I haven't tried yet)

Hutchinson Acrobat (only available import and no clue how they are)

My absolute DREAM tire would be a tan/skin/gumwall puncture resistant all rounder with just enough grip for packed dirt trails. Don't care about weight, just grip, dirability and puncture protection. And something that I can feasibly change a flat on during a long ride.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus - perfect tire for now. Could use a bit more off road capability for packed dirt. Would prefer gum/skin wall color to match my nice new cork grips...

This pic is older too - I replaced the grips with Cork Ergos, and replaced crank and drivetrain with Shimano Ultegra setup. Brakes were already great.
Old 02-08-22, 01:15 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
How wide of a tire can you fit? There are tons of options in the 1.9" - 2.2" range. Unfortunately it looks like you don't have that much room. Also unfortunately, there aren't many narrow 26" tires on the market.

The Panaracer Pasela is available in 1.25" and 1.5" and fits at least some of your criteria. It's a decent tire. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=80012
Old 02-08-22, 01:18 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 3,194 Times in 1,821 Posts
What a photo! That said . . .

Just looked up your bike's specs and confirmed that the relevant rim dimension is 559 mm. That means that your rims are compatible with what used to be the universal standard mountain bike tires, back when 26" tires ruled the roost.

So: if you're determined to stick to the 1.35 tire width, your choices do indeed seem limited. Me, I'l be happy to sub in 1.25 or 1.5 tires. which might be somewhat more readily available.

For example: 26 x 1.5 skinwall tires appear to be in stock at Dan's Comp.
Old 02-08-22, 01:51 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 561 Posts
this may work better traction but the same protection. https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...thon_plus_tour
Old 02-08-22, 02:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 3,975 Times in 2,363 Posts
I'll add that going by the label's numbers might not be the full story in how wide and tall any one tire is. Most all labels (like "26x1.35") are not a measured size but a reference of the aprox. real life width as mounted on the manufacture's rim of choice... Lots said there.

Now if the label has the ISO spec (as in "559x34" for example) they are suggesting a true dimension, but one still doesn't know the rim interior width they used for that measurement. So the final and only true way to know what fits any one bike is to test fit a specific tire and see what tire/frame/fender/other clearances are present.

When I was still working in a LBS we had a lot of these kinds of questions, too many would trust the labeled numbers to be what would really be the case when mounted on their rims/bike. They would come to use confused why their old 700x25 tire was narrower than the 700x23 we suggested they try. We would spend way too much time explaining that manufactures play with labeled numbers to get more sales. A manufacturer can label their tire whatever number they wish and if they use a smaller number then what is actually measured their marketing dept can claim "we have the lightest 700x25 tire in the world", (and they do because the tire measures out as a 20mm wide mounted on the skinny rims of just a few years ago). They broke no law. We have even seen both the labeled numbers (700x25) and molded into the sidewall the ISO size (622x20) on the same tire. Guess which one most riders can see and believe in?

I also have used clothing sizes as an example that most riders already know of where labels and measurements are not the same, or why your Levis 30" waist is tighter than the Lee's 30" waist pants. Andy
Old 02-08-22, 05:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6361 Post(s)
Liked 4,960 Times in 3,414 Posts
There is an ISO tire size on those tires somewhere. Find it. It probably is in some of the tiniest print that is embossed or stamped on the tire sidewall. Usually smaller than the print they emboss the max inflation pressure.

While you are at it, look at the labels on the rims and see if they put the ISO rim size on there. It also will usually be in the tiniest print that requires bifocals for some of us. If you find it, you'll know both the BSD of the rim and the BSD of the tire. Also you'll know the internal width of the rim from which you can base what range of tire widths might fit your rim.

As Andrew R Stewart said, it'll be something like 559 x 34 or sometimes they write it 34 x 559. Can't swear yours will be those exact numbers as 26" tires are a confused group of tire and rims. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/26.html
Old 02-08-22, 06:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18456 Post(s)
Liked 4,562 Times in 3,389 Posts
Your Marathons should be good tires.

I looked up: 26" 1.35 schwalbe kojak, and it popped up a dozen matches on E-Bay.

I'm seeing a Michelin Protek in 26 x 1.4
And a Michelin Protek Cross Max in 26x1.6

It'll depend a bit on your tire clearance on the bike. I have found the Protek Cross Max tires are good tires for both traction and durability.

For a good rolling tire, Rene Herse has a 26x1.25 tire that might be considered.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...x125-elk-pass/