Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Monument Loop

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Monument Loop

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-22, 08:48 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,099 Posts
We rode the Caprock Canyons Trailway, a unique rail trail that's mostly paved with Tribulus terrestris. If that wasn't enough, the maintenance folks had run a mower over the verges and discharged the cut Tribulus terrestris onto the trail. The Texas Parks Department wonders why no one rides this trail.

Anyway, I'd fitted Slimed tubes. We'd ride for a few miles, then stop and pull out the goat head thorns. A tiny green dot would appear on the surface of the tire. I never even had to add any air. Our friends riding some brand of tire with 'armor belting' repaired 31 punctures in 17 miles.

YMMV
Old 02-19-22, 03:21 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
We used Slime tubes briefly on the TA back in 2007. At that tme we judged them to be a big fail. We still got flats, but they were hard to get patches to stick and it was a big mess. Not sure if we gave it a fair trial or if they have gotten better, but we hated them and threw them away infavor of regular tubes without sealant.
Originally Posted by tcs
We rode the Caprock Canyons Trailway, a unique rail trail that's mostly paved with Tribulus terrestris. If that wasn't enough, the maintenance folks had run a mower over the verges and discharged the cut Tribulus terrestris onto the trail. The Texas Parks Department wonders why no one rides this trail.

Anyway, I'd fitted Slimed tubes. We'd ride for a few miles, then stop and pull out the goat head thorns. A tiny green dot would appear on the surface of the tire. I never even had to add any air. Our friends riding some brand of tire with 'armor belting' repaired 31 punctures in 17 miles.

Thanks.

My experience is only less than a week. And that was with 57mm wide tires and tubes off road, so not applicable to my question on narrower tires on pavement.

With my wider tires, I did have one fail. I bought a thorn resistant tube, one of those that has about a quarter inch thick rubber. And the rubber got really thin where the valve stem was, and the valve stem pulled part way out of the tube. I judged that as a non-sealant related failure, the thick rubber was so stiff that I think it overstressed the thin rubber at the valve stem. Thus, my experience was that thorn resistant tubes have their own unique problems and the Slime in tubes was impossible to determine if it was good or bad.

I chose Slime because it was water soluble for cleanup, I wanted to be able to use water and a Q tip to clean out the valve stem after injecting sealant.

Since then I bought a couple Slime brand tubes, 700c with sealant in them that were on clearance price at a bike shop, just in case I might want them some day on my light touring bike.
Old 02-23-22, 11:05 PM
Kelly I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Unnecessary worry.

People do love to tell their stories of woe. We had no issues with flats on both of our trips through Monument Valley. Tires used were Marathon Racers, Marathon Plus, and Kenda XXX (friend's tires). We did not go off road. I think with normal care, you should be fine. Certainly it pays to check your tires for goat heads most places out west, especially off pavement.