Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Finally Speedplay PM

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Finally Speedplay PM

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-22, 11:38 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Perhaps. But ok, you can discontinue the older X style but why discontinue replacement parts such as cleats? To make me basically have to throw away fully functional pedals because the cleats are no longer made? That does not engender customer support and loyalty. Yes, the Zeros were the newer evolution of the original design. That said, I had no need to buy Zeros when my Xs worked just fine. I ride Campy 11 speed. 12 and now 13 has been out for a few years, but there is no reason to retire my 11 and also 10 speed groups which work perfectly fine. I can still buy parts for Campy 9 speed and earlier if I need. This is what builds and maintains customer loyalty. IMHO. I liked Speedplay as this smaller San Diego based company. Unfortunately no longer.
Old 02-24-22, 12:49 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Perhaps. But ok, you can discontinue the older X style but why discontinue replacement parts such as cleats? To make me basically have to throw away fully functional pedals because the cleats are no longer made? That does not engender customer support and loyalty. Yes, the Zeros were the newer evolution of the original design. That said, I had no need to buy Zeros when my Xs worked just fine. I ride Campy 11 speed. 12 and now 13 has been out for a few years, but there is no reason to retire my 11 and also 10 speed groups which work perfectly fine. I can still buy parts for Campy 9 speed and earlier if I need. This is what builds and maintains customer loyalty. IMHO. I liked Speedplay as this smaller San Diego based company. Unfortunately no longer.
Give me a break - if there were enough customers for it to make financial sense to continue the X-series, whether wholly or in part, they would have done so. But yeah, it's great that you liked them so much that you think that it's nothing to a small company to shut down production on current product and change around all of their tooling just to appease a handful of curmudgeons that seem to think that they're under obligation to provide parts in perpetuity.

Now do you want to talk about their power meters or not?
Old 02-24-22, 01:46 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,233 Times in 531 Posts
The initial reviews are quite favorable, and review units have been out for a much longer period of time than many other products so the results are probably robust. Congratulations to Wahoo.

That said, here's Wahoo's problem: their share of the pedal market is small. If 1) I were a Speedplay Zero user, 2) didn't already have a power meter, and 3) were in the market to jump onto the power meter bandwagon, I'd be on this in a New York minute. However, if I weren't already a Speedplay user, this probably isn't enough to get me to switch, or to switch on all my bikes. That said, looks like a good implementation.
Old 02-24-22, 02:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
That said, here's Wahoo's problem: their share of the pedal market is small. If 1) I were a Speedplay Zero user, 2) didn't already have a power meter
Yeah, this is the issue for me. Like many that had Speedplay and wanted to get in to a power meter, I had plenty of time to go about it another way, which I did.... so I don't need PM pedals at this point. Now, if my PM were to **** the bed and my pedal bodies were looking a little beat up, and I had multiple bikes that I wanted to swap among (not something that's realistic for a this lazy guy with a crank-based PM), then I'd strongly consider the new pedals... but that's a lot of stuff that needs to align.
Old 02-24-22, 05:03 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4821 Post(s)
Liked 1,556 Times in 1,020 Posts
My next bike will probably get these. Unless somehow I manage to somehow figure a way to use a Left side 11s Record crankarm (stages) which seems unlikely.
Old 02-24-22, 05:08 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
the passive voice was used .
Old 02-28-22, 12:38 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I'm not supporting Wahoo but the pedals look interesting for Speedplay users. I just started using a dual-sided powermeter crank and do like the power readings a lot. It will be interesting to see if these pedals take off.