Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bar Tape Similar To Specialized Roubaix?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-22, 10:55 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

I was always a fan of Spesh's S-Wrap Roubaix tape, but they appear to have entirely discontinued their bar tape line. Anyone used that type, that can recommend another brand/model that is similar?
Old 03-07-22, 05:48 PM
vze23c3q

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome, another component I can't get for my Roubaix...tires, rotors, pads and now bar tape.
Old 03-07-22, 06:32 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I don't know how it compares but I have been using Zipp Service course tape for some time and for the price its a real winner. Don't get the road version, get the little bit thinker CX version. Super nice and just right amount of soft IMO. I can get almost 3 years out of a wrap too!
Old 03-09-22, 07:58 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 368 Posts
oh no. I've tried other tapes and always came back to Specialized: No peel off adhesive, silicone grip instead, way better. Very nice cushioning. Easy to stretch for a perfect, easy wrap job.
Now they have Supacaz on their website. I tried it 3 years ago. Supacaz looks great. But it's extremely annoying to wrap. I had to pull it way harder than they recommend, and it still shifted around after a while. The cushioning isn't too good, either. I gave up on it.
Supacaz: 10/10 for style. 6/10 for cushion. 4/10 for gapping on the bends.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-09-22 at 12:27 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 03-09-22, 08:20 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
https://www.pro-bikegear.com/us/acce...t-control-tape

This is pretty close.
Old 03-11-22, 01:13 PM
flx100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
In the same boat - but i got this from amazon and it feels very similar. - i haven't wrapped it yet, but it has the same suede texture.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WKC29B6...hk_typ_imgToDp
Old 03-11-22, 06:44 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I've never tried the Roubaix tape but I love Domain Extra Long Gel Handlebar tape on my gravel bike. I'm going to rewrap the bars on my endurance road bike with it this weekend because I like it so much. It's got good thickness, doesn't slip on the bar, stretches just enough when wrapping, has a great feel though it's more of a rubber sponge feel that is great dry or wet, and comes in 240 cm lengths so you can wrap it really close or space it out to dial it in. Good finishing tape and bar plugs too.
Old 03-15-22, 11:03 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 810 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
oh no. I've tried other tapes and always came back to Specialized: No peel off adhesive, silicone grip instead, way better. Very nice cushioning. Easy to stretch for a perfect, easy wrap job.
Now they have Supacaz on their website. I tried it 3 years ago. Supacaz looks great. But it's extremely annoying to wrap. I had to pull it way harder than they recommend, and it still shifted around after a while. The cushioning isn't too good, either. I gave up on it.
I'm glad you mentioned Supacaz. It looks great and seems like it should be great (on paper), but what a worthless awful material to wrap. Seems durable, but ugly because of the slippage and gaps.
Old 03-16-22, 09:44 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I tried Lizard Skins and also a Bontrager tape that's very similar to LS in the past, and like you've said, both were hard to wrap and eventually worked themselves loose around the bends under the shifters. Just not a fan of that type at all but it seems to be the overwhelming favorite among tape-makers these days. Really unfortunate that Specialized canned its tape line. I just ordered some Fizik Vento tape to see how it is.