Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from Sedalia, Mo.

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from Sedalia, Mo.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-22, 08:14 AM
1964Supersport

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Supersport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 25 Posts
Hello from Sedalia, Mo.

Just found this forum, thought it might be fun. I own a 1964 Supersport that my father bought new for me. I haven't ridden it in years but I think I'm going to try riding it. I got it out of the basement last week and cleaned it up. I need new brake pads and a tube for the back tire before I can ride it. This bike has a lot of sentimental value to me. I'm hoping my back will tolerate the riding position.
Old 03-21-22, 12:29 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3923 Post(s)
Liked 4,903 Times in 2,259 Posts
Welcome
Here is a reference to Schwinn Super Sport bikes. Scroll down for 1964.

The Schwinn Sport | 1951 to 1987 (bikehistory.org)
Old 03-21-22, 01:05 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 2,100 Times in 1,104 Posts
Welcome.

Super Sports have a significant vintage bike following, because of their interesting construction and position in the Schwinn product lineup, as well as how they ride.
Old 03-21-22, 04:56 PM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by downtube42
Welcome.

Super Sports have a significant vintage bike following, because of their interesting construction and position in the Schwinn product lineup, as well as how they ride.
Thank you for your response, it has been so long since I checked the serial # I decided to look it up. My bike was built in Oct 1964 frame # 119. I was 9 yrs old when it was built but had turned 10 before my father bought it for me. It has always been stored indoors so it is in pretty good shape. My only regret is letting my sister use my bike at a time I didn"t have it with me. She didn't like the hard Brooks leather seat so she replaced it with a cheap vinyl cushion seat. I have found a new Brooks leather seat can still be ordered for $107.00. First I need to see if riding is going to aggravate my back. I really feel like my tires and tubes need to be replaced along with my brake pads. My tires were last replaced mid 80's , front tire still holds air but the back one doesn't. Local bike shop quoted me $80.00 to replace tires and tubes. I think he called them gum wall tires, I have no idea if his price is fair. I live in a small town with only one bike shop. The brake pads are $12.95 a pair with me installing them. Sorry this post was so long.
Old 03-21-22, 05:19 PM
Bellman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for bringing back old, pleasant memories. My first 10 speed was a Schwinn Varsity, purchased by my dad at the bike shop on downtown Sedalia, I suspect now called Pro Velo. Great bike!
Old 03-21-22, 05:48 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 2,100 Times in 1,104 Posts
Originally Posted by 1964Supersport
Thank you for your response, it has been so long since I checked the serial # I decided to look it up. My bike was built in Oct 1964 frame # 119. I was 9 yrs old when it was built but had turned 10 before my father bought it for me. It has always been stored indoors so it is in pretty good shape. My only regret is letting my sister use my bike at a time I didn"t have it with me. She didn't like the hard Brooks leather seat so she replaced it with a cheap vinyl cushion seat. I have found a new Brooks leather seat can still be ordered for $107.00. First I need to see if riding is going to aggravate my back. I really feel like my tires and tubes need to be replaced along with my brake pads. My tires were last replaced mid 80's , front tire still holds air but the back one doesn't. Local bike shop quoted me $80.00 to replace tires and tubes. I think he called them gum wall tires, I have no idea if his price is fair. I live in a small town with only one bike shop. The brake pads are $12.95 a pair with me installing them. Sorry this post was so long.
If the last service was in the 80's I would expect to replace tires, tubes, cables, possibly cable housing, and all bearing grease. The grease has almost certainly turned into a tar-like substance, and you should not ride the bike with such grease. It will damage the bearings. These bikes can be worked on with common hand tools, and there are almost certainly youtube videos for everything you'd need to do. Your local bike shop would do the work, as well, but the price may be approaching the value of the bike.
Old 03-21-22, 07:15 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3923 Post(s)
Liked 4,903 Times in 2,259 Posts
This was mine.

One can remember them nostalgically fondly. And flatlanders can appreciate the solid ride. But,.......i ditched mine for others. Even with shortie fenders, all original.
Old 03-21-22, 11:04 PM
hagarthefish

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome, hope the back holds up
Old 03-22-22, 04:50 PM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by hagarthefish
Welcome, hope the back holds up
Thank you !
Old 03-22-22, 06:07 PM
cfedsas

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello im peter nice to meet you !!
Old 03-22-22, 09:04 PM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by cfedsas
Hello im peter nice to meet you !!
Thank you Peter, nice to meet you as well.
Old 03-24-22, 12:10 AM
meggerthree
Vintage KC

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount x3 (thanks jim) Albert Eisentraut, Colnago Master Piu(must sell), Cannondale x3 one is a tandem, Alanex, Volae Club, Azub Ti-Fly 26, Schwinn Madison Track bike, Schwinn Sprint(must sell) '61 Raleigh Gran Sport(must sell) Giant mtb,

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put some wide tires on it and ride the Katy Trail that runs through Sedalia.
Old 03-24-22, 03:27 PM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by meggerthree
Put some wide tires on it and ride the Katy Trail that runs through Sedalia.
Wrong kind of bike for Katy Trail, I've walked some of it with my dogs.
Old 03-28-22, 12:44 AM
Chrisyang

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for bringing back old, pleasant memories.
Likes For Chrisyang:
Old 03-28-22, 02:36 PM
Cyclist0239879842
Banned.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1964Supersport
My last tour included the Katy Trail and I was stranded with a broken (sorry: "ripped in half") rear derailleur for a few days in Sedalia. I'm officially a fan. Also, if the bike shop you're talking about is the one on Ohio Ave, that dude isn't ripping you off. I was super impressed with the way he treated me and his other customers. He could have easily price-gouged me and I don't think the thought even crossed his mind.

-JD
Old 03-28-22, 07:29 PM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by jtdjunk
My last tour included the Katy Trail and I was stranded with a broken (sorry: "ripped in half") rear derailleur for a few days in Sedalia. I'm officially a fan. Also, if the bike shop you're talking about is the one on Ohio Ave, that dude isn't ripping you off. I was super impressed with the way he treated me and his other customers. He could have easily price-gouged me and I don't think the thought even crossed his mind.

-JD
Thanks for the information, I will probably be going back to that bike shop for something. Tomorrow I plan on changing the tube in my rear tire. If I get that accomplished I will go for a ride and see if the gears are changing ok.. My next step will be to order some new brake pads.. I posted a brake pad question and got several good recommendations.