Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot Country 100 (1996) re-build/conversion advice

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-22, 09:52 AM
sky_table

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there. I have an old Peugeot Country 100 bike, it looks like it dates to around 1996.

I'm thinking of making it my "project bike", and completely re-building it. I'd look to make it a winter commuter/tourer bike, i.e. wide tyres, racks, mud-guards, nice gear range (hilly). If it doesn't weigh the Earth, then that's a bonus. (the two aims are always competing though, I know)

Would you say that the frame is worth the effort? I find it hard to gauge if it's an old "quality" frame, which will keep going for another 20 years, or just an old frame that is not worth spending money
building around it. I can't see any signs of rust, but there are a fair few scratches, scrapes, which I guess would have to be sorted out.

Many thanks for your help!
Old 05-25-22, 12:18 PM
diomekes

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '88 Basso Loto, '89 Panasonic MC-5500, '92 Vitus 992

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Doesn't look too bad to me: https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broc...ure%20Pg41.jpg

It's definitely not worth much, but it looks like a typical hybrid with 700c wheels and cantilevers, which should be good for wide tires and fenders, etc.

I think if you end up riding it, it's worth it. And it seems like a good frame for what you want. You can even put some drop handlebars on it to make it more of a tourer.
Old 05-25-22, 12:29 PM
sky_table

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. Thanks. Yeah, if you look at the 1996 UK catalogue of the same website, the exact one is in there. (can't post a link or photos).

I bought it about 10 years ago, and have been riding it on/off since, but I'm starting to commute regularly now. My main thought was about the frame itself, and whether it would last "another 20 years". I know it's not anything "special" or "fancy", but if it's "durable", then it might be worth being used a build base.

I am definitely interested in making it more a tourer as well, so would look to get some nice modern lighter wheels, and improved handlebars.

Last edited by sky_table; 05-25-22 at 12:32 PM.