Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One more excuse to skip riding when it's cold

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One more excuse to skip riding when it's cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-22, 07:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
​​​​​

So cycling isn't a full body workout unless you're doing it?

The way most people ride is not a full body workout and there is nothing wrong with that. Just ride the way you want to ride.
Old 12-12-22, 10:11 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Track guys use a lot of upper body, climbers do not want a lot of upper body muscle so no weight training like the track freaks.

Ever seen a couple of pro road racers try to duke it out? It is pretty pathetic. There is a YouTube of just such an incident. Hinault could punch alright.

Swimming is supposed to be close to a total body workout. Cross country skiers have a pretty good split between upper and lower muscle use which is one of the reasons for the slightly higher VO2 max over pro riders, there is a greater demand on the cardiovascular system to run all those muscles.

Cycle cross is more of a full body workout, and it is usually done in cold weather. Thus, you have monsters like Wout.
Old 12-13-22, 03:38 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by cjenrick

Cycle cross is more of a full body workout,.
So is mountain biking
Old 12-13-22, 12:53 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3593 Post(s)
Liked 3,781 Times in 1,883 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilFo
Air density between the coldest, driest air, and the warmest, moist air is not perceptible to a human being. The temperature and humidity definitely affect breathing, but the density itself doesn't affect a person's performance when moving through the air mass. Perhaps over a whole human lifetime, you may see a difference of a couple watts due to actual air density, but in reality, no.
Air density does indeed affect a cyclist's speed. A temperature drop requires a cyclist to produce more power to maintain the same speed. Air density is a nontrivial factor when pushing a cyclist + bike through the air.

Using default settings on Kreuzotter calculator, road bike, hands on drops, @ 22 mph, required power:

@ 80F – 223 Watts
@ 32F – 241 Watts

Originally Posted by rsbob
Actually there are studies which show elite XC skiers do have better VO2 than any other type of athlete including pro-cyclists. Besides, XC skiing is a full body activity versus cycling. There is a famous sports physiologist in Norway, Stephen Seiler, who has been studying this for decades. He is also a cyclist. So much for ethnocentrism.
There's a simple explanation for that: XC skiers use more muscle groups than cyclists. VO2 capacity has three components: lungs, cardiovascular, muscles. For most elite athletes, the limiting factor for VO2 is the capacity of the working muscles to do aerobic work (or so I've read from some sports physiologist whose name I forget).

Those elite XC skiers probably wouldn't do very well against a pro cyclist in a bike race.

Last edited by terrymorse; 12-13-22 at 01:05 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-13-22, 01:28 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
does denser, winter/colder air, have a higher concentration of oxygen
- & does it matter?
Old 12-13-22, 02:01 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Air density does indeed affect a cyclist's speed. A temperature drop requires a cyclist to produce more power to maintain the same speed. Air density is a nontrivial factor when pushing a cyclist + bike through the air.

Using default settings on Kreuzotter calculator, road bike, hands on drops, @ 22 mph, required power:

@ 80F – 223 Watts
@ 32F – 241 Watts
I don’t buy it, unless some other definition of air density is being used. I’m sure rolling resistance, fitness and available oxygen are factored in but just using the meteorological definition of air density and knowing the max variability across the habitable troposphere being less than .5kg/m^3 between 0C and 35C, there is no way to feel the effect over a single ride.
Old 12-13-22, 02:49 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I don’t buy it, unless some other definition of air density is being used. I’m sure rolling resistance, fitness and available oxygen are factored in but just using the meteorological definition of air density and knowing the max variability across the habitable troposphere being less than .5kg/m^3 between 0C and 35C, there is no way to feel the effect over a single ride.
The facts (speed vs power) say otherwise.

As does Fluid Mechanics 101.

Why temperature, humidity and air pressure are important for the hour record attempts:

Source: Bradley Wiggins's hour record attempt

Last edited by terrymorse; 12-13-22 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-13-22, 04:55 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

I guess because it's on the internet, it must be true.
Old 12-13-22, 05:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4058 Post(s)
Liked 7,658 Times in 3,072 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
does denser, winter/colder air, have a higher concentration of oxygen?
No.
Old 12-13-22, 05:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10641 Post(s)
Liked 12,293 Times in 6,294 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Presumably, no one. You were the one who pretended that was the goal.

What was the purpose of your ridiculous attack on indoor riding? The mud slinging is coming from your direction.
"The call is coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!!!"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-13-22, 05:05 PM
wolfchild
Banned

You are completely wrong about this....I can tell you from experience that there is huge big difference between riding at 1F and 75F
Old 12-13-22, 05:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
No.
Uh, dude? PV still = nRT, last time I looked. So, yes, actually denser air does have a higher concentration of oxygen. Not a higher percentage, but more oxygen molecules per unit volume.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-13-22, 05:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by wolfchild
The way most people ride is not a full body workout and there is nothing wrong with that. Just ride the way you want to ride.
The other week I saw a guy whose saddle was WAY too high. Not only were his hips rocking, so was his whole body. Pedaling seated, from a distance he looked like Pantani dancing on the pedals. I suspect he was getting a full body workout.

Old 12-13-22, 05:10 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Originally Posted by genejockey
Uh, dude? PV still = nRT, last time I looked. So, yes, actually denser air does have a higher concentration of oxygen. Not a higher percentage, but more oxygen molecules per unit volume.
This is true.
Old 12-13-22, 05:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Ok kids. Time to chill.
What? And risk my health?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-13-22, 05:13 PM
tomato coupe

There's more oxygen, but the concentration remains the same -- about 21%.
Old 12-13-22, 05:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

This is true.
But of course.

I once got into a longrunning argument with someone who took exception when I said, "There's less air in the air at altitude". He said, there are fewer molecules per unit volume, but just as much air. I asked, "What do you think air is, if not the molecules?"

Old 12-13-22, 05:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

There's more oxygen, but the concentration remains the same -- about 21%.
Concentration is amount per unit volume, not amount per unit mass.
EDIT: I may be being excessively pedantic here. It's not like it never happened before.

Old 12-13-22, 05:20 PM
tomato coupe

Concentration is amount per unit volume, not amount per unit mass.
It depends on whether you're talking about absolute concentration or relative concentration. I assumed the question was about the latter, as the former would be a trivial question.
Old 12-13-22, 05:24 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Originally Posted by wolfchild
You are completely wrong about this....I can tell you from experience that there is huge big difference between riding at 1F and 75F
I understand that you feel like you're right, but your personal anecdote notwithstanding, you're not. If we're going to go there and appeal to authority, I can tell you from experience in a career in the Navy as a meteorologist, that I'm right.
You are correct that there is a huge difference riding between those temperatures, however looking at actual data of the atmosphere and the variance of less than .5kg/cubic meter of water vapor between the temperatures of 0C and 35C, the density of the air does not make a difference alone. Temperature, fitness, humidity, rolling resistance (temperature affects the tires too), albedo of the surface you're riding on, all play a greater role than the miniscule difference in actual air density. The air density is simply a red herring in all these measurements. It comes into play when you start going really fast, speeds a cyclist can't reach.
Old 12-13-22, 05:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

It depends on whether you're talking about absolute concentration or relative concentration. I assumed the question was about the latter, as the former would be a trivial question.
I'm not sure it IS trivial, in the sense that at altitude the relative concentration of O2 is the same as at sea level, but the lower absolute concentration is what gets you.

Old 12-13-22, 05:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5110 Post(s)
Liked 8,434 Times in 3,982 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
Track guys use a lot of upper body, climbers do not want a lot of upper body muscle so no weight training like the track freaks.

Ever seen a couple of pro road racers try to duke it out? It is pretty pathetic. There is a YouTube of just such an incident. Hinault could punch alright.

Swimming is supposed to be close to a total body workout. Cross country skiers have a pretty good split between upper and lower muscle use which is one of the reasons for the slightly higher VO2 max over pro riders, there is a greater demand on the cardiovascular system to run all those muscles.

Cycle cross is more of a full body workout, and it is usually done in cold weather. Thus, you have monsters like Wout.
Wout Van Aert is tall, but hardly a "monster" in terms of upper body muscle mass.
Old 12-13-22, 05:34 PM
tomato coupe

I'm not sure it IS trivial, in the sense that at altitude the relative concentration of O2 is the same as at sea level, but the lower absolute concentration is what gets you.
It's trivial because, in the case of absolute concentration, the question essentially becomes "Is denser air denser?"
Old 12-13-22, 06:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 6,090 Times in 3,106 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

@ 80F – 223 Watts
@ 32F – 241 Watts

There's a simple explanation for that: XC skiers use more muscle groups than cyclists. VO2 capacity has three components: lungs, cardiovascular, muscles. For most elite athletes, the limiting factor for VO2 is the capacity of the working muscles to do aerobic work (or so I've read from some sports physiologist whose name I forget).

Those elite XC skiers probably wouldn't do very well against a pro cyclist in a bike race.
And vice versa.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-13-22, 06:59 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

The air density is simply a red herring in all these measurements. It comes into play when you start going really fast, speeds a cyclist can't reach.
Incorrect (again). Wind drag force increases linearly with air density. And wind drag is the dominant force that a cyclist must overcome (for any speed above a dawdle).

Fluid Mechanics 101.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.