Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubeless air pressure loss

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-23, 10:03 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 51 Posts

I've recently switched to tubeless and happy so far, but am concerned about one thing. With tubed tires I rarely needed top 'top them off', they retained air fairly well. I'm finding with the tubeless that I need to refill about once every 4-5 days. Is that right/normal? I had originally been running them with tubes for about a year before switching and wondering if it would alleviate the problem to just get new tires. Nothing wrong with the old ones, so i'd keep them as backups.

*edit* Currently running WTB Riddlers, 37mm. Confirmed they are the tubeless ready version. Rims are WTB ST i23 TCS, 28h, tubeless ready and the conversion was done by my LBS

Last edited by Ubie; 04-10-23 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-10-23, 10:18 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 6,098 Times in 3,109 Posts
Perfectly normal.

Old 04-10-23, 01:24 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 781 Posts
Any time I go out I check PSI first. Tubeless loses air like crazy compared to clinchers. A small price to pay.
Old 04-10-23, 01:38 PM
IGotId

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Any time I go out I check PSI first. Tubeless loses air like crazy compared to clinchers. A small price to pay.
Is there a scientific reason?
Old 04-10-23, 02:47 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 561 Posts
I have found that if you lose a fair amount of air it maybe the valve not tight enough.a couple weeks is about usual for me sometimes longer.
Old 04-10-23, 04:44 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by IGotId
Is there a scientific reason?
Yes, even within a single manufacturer.
Example...
Continental GP 5000 TL
Vs it's replacement
Continental GP 5000 S TR

The GP 5000 S TR looses significantly more air than the GP 5000 TL when both are setup as tubeless.

Reason
Continental decided to lighten the GP 5000 S TR version by removing the butyl liner that was in the earlier TL version.
It was this butyl liner that was holding the air in. After all, regular bike tubes are made of butyl.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-10-23, 04:52 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Ubie
I've recently switched to tubeless and happy so far, but am concerned about one thing. With tubed tires I rarely needed top 'top them off', they retained air fairly well. I'm finding with the tubeless that I need to refill about once every 4-5 days. Is that right/normal? I had originally been running them with tubes for about a year before switching and wondering if it would alleviate the problem to just get new tires. Nothing wrong with the old ones, so i'd keep them as backups.

*edit* Currently running WTB Riddlers, 37mm. Confirmed they are the tubeless ready version. Rims are WTB ST i23 TCS, 28h, tubeless ready and the conversion was done by my LBS
Yes for a few reasons but it's perfectly normal for tubeless tires to lose pressure much faster. Most of it is just they leak more but in general, especially once you get to gravel tires like 37mm you can't run the same pressure especially if you were riding your gravel bike on the road and running it kind of high to begin with. So you start at a lower point already and lose quicker and will have to top off more often as a result.
Old 04-11-23, 04:57 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
Yes for a few reasons but it's perfectly normal for tubeless tires to lose pressure much faster. Most of it is just they leak more but in general, especially once you get to gravel tires like 37mm you can't run the same pressure especially if you were riding your gravel bike on the road and running it kind of high to begin with. So you start at a lower point already and lose quicker and will have to top off more often as a result.
Actually, all other things being equal, the rate of loss will be lower when the pressure is lower, although I suppose it's possible you'd notice it sooner.

When I first got my new mountain bike with tubeless tyres, I found initially that they would lose pressure relatively quickly. Over time the rate of loss dropped until now I can leave them several weeks without needing to top them up.I guess the sealant gradually finds all the little leaks and seals them.