Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Schwinn frame badge

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Schwinn frame badge

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-23, 12:52 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 416 Posts
Schwinn frame badge

I have a 2007 ish Schwinn Mesa LTD and am about to have the frame stripped and painted.

I (finally) noticed the frame badge and was curious of it had any significance.

98% sure it's of no monetary or cultural value but I figured I'd ask before the strip and paint, just in case.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-23, 01:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6330 Post(s)
Liked 4,920 Times in 3,388 Posts
Just guessing, that's probably a logo for the particular line of tubing that was used for the frame of the bike. Older vintage bikes were big on displaying the brand logo of the different types of steel and aluminum tubing that was used for bicycles back in the day. Some getting quite a bit of heated discussion about how one was better than the other. Most just opinion and brand loyalty.

IMO, it's always nicer looking to me when someone puts back the original decals and markings after a re-paint if they aren't so good with doing their own artistic take with the paint job.

Sometimes you can find reproductions of such head badges and other decals if the entity that own's that copyright, trademark or whatever it is doesn't mind them being reproduced and sold. Sometimes you can find the original decals. But you'll have to search. A number of such places making these reproduction decals went out of business in the last few years.
Old 05-04-23, 06:52 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 416 Posts
Thanks IRide1!

If it's not important, all logos/sticker/symbols go away.
Old 05-04-23, 11:07 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
My Fastback of about the same vintage has the same badge; it’s just their branding for the alloy tubing used in their frames. Iirc, it’s Schwinn’s own-brand tubing, but I can’t be 100% on that.